INDIAN RUINS

As I am in Arizona, I understand there are a lot of Indian Ruins/petroglyphs that are kept secret by the state...I would be interested to know if anyone has ever come across these while out on a desert geocache, and if they have coordinates for them? It would be great to see these links to the past...even better than benchmarking...

Considering the fuss we had over posting cave locations on this web site, I think it might be advisable to be a bit more sly with this request.

Perhaps suggest people email you directly if they know of an interesting site?

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

Of course I know there will be park superintendants that would throw a fit if they knew what I was asking for...and the only reason I ask is to simply take photos of interesting sites...anyone with any coordinates that they would like to share can email them to me at jeffinreno@hotmail.com that's my old addy, but I keep an eye on it...thanks!

Funny you should ask this question. While the government can't give out the coord because they are obligated to protect the cultural resource I've learned something.

Indians as it happens are human. Being human they tended to like doing the things we would do (since last time I checked we were still human today and not just 10,000 years ago).

The trick is they had to eat also and for them eating was a bit more work. So they liked to go to all the places we like to go. Cool spots on the river, camping near a rock ledge where the wind isn't so strong. They liked beautiful mountain valleys.

Meanwhile the kids like doing grafitti and left it here and there. Plus adults showed the kids how to do it right. When a weapon broke they tossed it like we do trash today.

So, look around you, you would actually be suprised that the places you have learned about geocaching are often the very places that the Indians spent time at and so the governmetn can't tell you about it.

Yeah that doesn't help you out one whit for finding a cool ruin but I'm getting the feel for where petroglyphs would be here in Idaho. (Rock Faces + Water or Hunting Grounds + Camping areas)

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

My dad is an archaeologist and I can tell you that if anybody catches wind that geocachers are trying to find historical sites there will be a very good chance that geocaching will be strictly banned in all archaeological areas, parks, etc. This is not something we want to test. My dad used to do archaeology in Arizona, New Mexico, Washington State, California, and now back here in Michigan. He has heard negative communications concerning geocaching...regarding geocachers plundering historical sites (by accident or on purpose). Please do not make such coordinate postings or attempts to find without proper authorization or you could ruin geocaching for large groups of geocachers throughout the United States.

victorymike

Mike Landis

Garmin eMap

Ann Arbor, MI

Victory V92SC

quote:
Originally posted by victorymike:

My dad is an archaeologist and I can tell you that if anybody catches wind that geocachers are trying to find historical sites there will be a very good chance that geocaching will be strictly banned in all archaeological areas, parks, etc. This is not something we want to test. My dad used to do archaeology in Arizona, New Mexico, Washington State, California, and now back here in Michigan. He has heard negative communications concerning geocaching...regarding geocachers plundering historical sites (by accident or on purpose). Please do not make such coordinate postings or attempts to find without proper authorization or you could ruin geocaching for large groups of geocachers throughout the United States.

victorymike

Mike Landis

Garmin eMap

Ann Arbor, MI

Victory V92SC

They don't even let Archaeologists touch cultural sites because to investigate the site by definition ruins it. Plus because they are so good at it Archaeologists ruin a site more completely than geocaches ever could. The first sentaince was a paraphrse of our state Archaeologist while the second was my two bits.

However geocaches are not allowed near cultural sites but since they are kept secret nobody can follow the rule. It's the nature of the beast. So I will stand up before anyone and tell them they are full of crap when they think we 'seek' out these places. All we do is like the same things people used to like. We as people and geocaches don't have to seek sites, we will find them anyway. And to tell you the truth they should have people like your dad out there investigating everthing they find as fast as they find it because as the popluation grows we are going to develop and trample these sights most of the time without even knowing they are there.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

As an archaeologist, I feel it is vital to preserve as many sites containing important information. I have been on many sites that have been bulldozed for the ceramic wares they contain. I have seen Billy the Kids initials once pecked into stone, stolen. I have seen where people remove whole panels of rock art to put in their fireplaces. I have seen people with coffee cans full of projectile points.

All of these things serve to remove us from understanding the nature of our history and prehistory. In my profession, we try to recreate past lifeways only having on the order of nine pieces of a large jigsaw puzzle. Land encroachment and the work of casual and professional hunters leave us with fewer pieces.

I believe that most geocachers are of the ilk to leave artifacts where they are found so that future users of an area may enjoy them. My fear is that others may use the gc site to as a tool to know where the good stuff is located.