How do I get started with geocoins?

scottmcblane

A really good place to start is reading >> http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=10 << it's the link to the Trackable Knowledge Book.

Also helps a lot to read all the 'pinned' topics at the top of the geocoin forum. One of the threads also lists most of the manufacturers 'approved' by Groundspeak. Enter those website addys and check out their sites. There is a lot of info already compiled to answer this question without members writing huge paragraphs to detail what is already well covered in other areas.

Once you have read the info available and have specific questions, forum participants will be happy to assist you.

Welcome to geo-coining !!

Do you mean collecting?

Moving them?

Making them?

Or some combo of the above?

Edit: I can read.

Start by browsing and seeing what you like.

I bought a few cheap coins to send out traveling, but I also have some activated coins I just use for tracking milestones.

I also have some very pretty coins that I have just because they are pretty.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

there is a link to Groundspeak approved sellers:

start by opening the www.geocaching.com page

in the upper middle part of the page click on play

click on find trackables

on the left side of the page you will see the word geocoins...under that you will see geocoin home...click on that

about mid page you will see geocoin information..under that a tab for geocoin manufacturers and resellers...click on that

thses are the Groundspeak approved geocoin manufacturers...even amongst this group, some are out of business.

so far as getting started in collecting coins, i would suggest looking for a particular type of coin you might like to collect...i get the most excited about dog themed coins, but i also collect round coins, shaped coins, thick coins, thin coins, personal coins, non-personal coins, event coin, non-event coins.....but perhaps i digress !

i hope this information is of some help.

ILYK

edited to add, keep an eye on the "what was in your mailbox today" posts..a good place to view old and new coins people have acquired

Edited by drneal

....i get the most excited about dog themed coins, but i also collect round coins, shaped coins, thick coins, thin coins, personal coins, non-personal coins, event coin, non-event coins.....but perhaps i digress !

Ahh...it's all perfectly clear, now! :P

i hope this information is of some help.

ILYK

edited to add, keep an eye on the "what was in your mailbox today" posts..a good place to view old and new coins people have acquired

Excellent advice. I browse through that thread just to get my daily fix!

Do what we did ..... live within 100 miles of Avroair... :anitongue:

:laughing:

I've heard a number of people ask this question, but I think the best way to approach is to not get in over your head and try to get EVERYTHING out there. Start by looking at fellow cacher's collections, go to events and see the coins that are on display or in the travelers exchange. Most importantly, watch for coins that appeal to you on a personal level. There are thousands of designs out there so find the ones that do the most for you by taking part in the conversations, looking at available pics (try googling geocoin for the occasional rush) and see some of the geocaching.com approved vendors to see what's available. This can be a wonderful hobby and you'll have numerous chances to find those perfect match-for-you coins so just take your time. The pursuit of a coin is like the hunt for a cache. Enjoy the whole experience! B)

I've heard a number of people ask this question, but I think the best way to approach is to not get in over your head and try to get EVERYTHING out there.

B)

where were you a couple years ago when i started?

ILYK
Edited by drneal

I've heard a number of people ask this question, but I think the best way to approach is to not get in over your head and try to get EVERYTHING out there.

B)

where were you a couple years ago when i started?

ILYK

:laughing: I was the one at the end of your table with the soundtrack of my own voice playing "she will KILL you!" over and over in my head imagining Moun10Girl's reaction! :blink::lol: