360 Cities - Panoramic World

I have not paid attention to 260Cities before, great pictures.

There are a number of well working categories that have a similar mechanism of using some sort of publication as a source for waymarks: Wikipedia, 1000 Places to See..., American Guide Series, World Heritage Sites and many more.

But here I see a prevalence problem. Maybe it is just coincidence that I live in a place with many panorama picture creators, but I could easily create about 300 waymarks from my existing ones only within 10 kilometers from home, not to mention at least twice the number where I would have to go out and take a picture first. This is way too much in my opinion.

Oh Sorry - If I follow the right link - the number is mach smaller ...

Now it's better!

How are those panoramas selected? How do they get onto those list?

Editors' Picks:

"Redaktionelle Auswahl

Genieße die neuesten und spektakulärsten Panorama-Bilder. Von unseren besten Fotografen veröffentlicht und exklusiv von unseren Redakteuren ausgesucht. Eine eigene Kategorie hier bei 360Cities."

And it would be good to combine the editors list with the list of the Pro/Expert photographer list:

Expert Photographers

Edited by lumbricus

Editors' Picks could work. I am not sure if extending it to Expert Photographers is a good idea.

Are there any stats available? How many would them be combined?

Another question: Is this list just growing or can pictures be removed from it after a while?

I think the key for this category would be to require coordinates and photos be from the "exact" same location the panoramas were taken not just the general area. Take for example the St. Louis Arch, I should have to figure out by looking at panorama where it was taken and not just duplicate one of my St. Louis Arch waymarks. I would get the coordinates for the location of the panoramas along with photos that "match" some of the views in the panorama. For interior panoramas I think the coordinates would be outside but the description should include where to stand to get the same views as the panoramas.

I think the key for this category would be to require coordinates and photos be from the "exact" same location the panoramas were taken not just the general area. Take for example the St. Louis Arch, I should have to figure out by looking at panorama where it was taken and not just duplicate one of my St. Louis Arch waymarks. I would get the coordinates for the location of the panoramas along with photos that "match" some of the views in the panorama. For interior panoramas I think the coordinates would be outside but the description should include where to stand to get the same views as the panoramas.

Exactly Bruce. The coordinates/pictures have to be taken at the point the panorama was taken.

I am unclear about the 360 panorama website. Is there a fixed, official, and finite list of panoramas around the world, or is it open to anyone to add a panorama wherever he (or she) wants to? If anyone can add a panorama to the list then I would question whether this list is suitable for Waymarking.

In Australia if you just stick to Editor's Pick then there is a grand total of 23, with 2 from the same location.

I'd ask that Expert Photographers also be included to give us the same opportunity as those parts of the world which are rich in Editor's Picks.

Quick Description:

We are looking for 360° panoramas found at 360 cities website www.360cities.net

Detailed Description:

From the 360 cities webside:

"360Cities is the web’s largest collection of stunning, georeferenced panoramic photos, created by a network of thousands of expert panorama photographers from around the world. Our growing community is proudly and lovingly documenting our planet as only people can." http://www.360cities.net/about

The goal of this category is to find points where a panorama was shot. Go to exactly this point and take some pictures. Together with the link it will be a great addition. This is more a challenging category. Search a great location on the 360 cities website, go there and shoot some pictures.

We are focusing on the following two types of panoramas:

1. The panorama is listed on the Editors' Picks list. http://www.360cities.net/search/@tags-editorspicks You can modify the search if you type in your country. E.g. @tags editorspicks France

This list is growing every day.

2. Panoramas made by an Expert or Pro. (If you move your mouse over the little pictures you will see if it's a pro and/or expert panorama) www.360cities.net/map

Sometimes there are many great panoramas at a touristic hotspot; other areas have very few panoramas.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

All posts to this category must include the GPS coordinates taken by the waymarker himself with at least two pictures taken at the same point the panorama was made. It's easy to find that point because they are 360° panoramas, look down.

For naming please use the name, state and country in the title. For example "Church Saint-Merri - Paris, France".

If the panorama is located inside a building/structure or other similar indoor setting, you should also include the name of the building in your waymark description. Also you have to descripe where the exact point is located.

A detailed description of the panorama spot is always appreciated, such as when it was created, history, outstanding or unique features, infos about the nature, area, city. Inform us.

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category:

To post a log to an existing 'Panoramic Photography' waymark, you will need to post a unique picture standing at the panorama point. Please don't including your GPS device in the picture!

Variables

Photographer

Expert, Pro or Editors' Picks list

Link to the panorama

Panorama was taken: (Date, could be found near the panorama)

Edited by lumbricus

Since this proposal is gathering steam for a possible peer vote, here are some concerns to be considered.

1) What is the purpose of the category? Duplicate someone else's work? Looks like 360Cities could display the coordinates and provide an information field, thus rendering this category unnecessary.

2) Looking at a few of images, I see duplication with existing categories of Scenic Overlooks, Cityscapes, This Old Church, and several of the historical sites. My surmise is that if the location is interesting enough for a panoramic shot, it probably fits into an existing waymark category due to something in the picture.

3) 360 Cities was started in 2007 due to "angel funding". What happens when this group of six moves onto other opportunities? Do we have another Yellow Arrow situation? Maybe not if the website remained available as the views are still there, even if the key item disappears. The basis for other categories mentioned by fi67 have hard copies or the support of a large international organization to provide the ongoing reference.

...battery dying, so closing. Another well thought out category is welcomed.

vhasler

...1) What is the purpose of the category? Duplicate someone else's work? Looks like 360Cities could display the coordinates and provide an information field, thus rendering this category unnecessary.

The same you could ask for the Wikipedia category and the waymarker love it. I'm absolutly fascinated of these panoramas. I think it's fun to search for a panorama near you, go to this place and see it in real. Take some pictures of this great locations and create a waymark.

2) Looking at a few of images, I see duplication with existing categories of Scenic Overlooks, Cityscapes, This Old Church, and several of the historical sites. My surmise is that if the location is interesting enough for a panoramic shot, it probably fits into an existing waymark category due to something in the picture.

I think the panoramas are a great addition. It's often the case that people who waymark churches only take pictures of the exterior. The are many panoramas which show the interior. So if someone is looking for churches at Waymarking he will see that theres is also a 360° panorama for that. I think thats good.

...What happens when this group of six moves onto other opportunities? Do we have another Yellow Arrow situation? Maybe not if the website remained available as the views are still there, even if the key item disappears....

360 cities is working together with google earth, Microsoft, Nokia,..... Makes guiness world records since years, is online since 2007, I think there will be no problem. The same you could say about Waymakrking, Geocaching, whatever.

Thanks for your comments!

Do we or will we have to take panoramic shots so our photos match exactly what appears on 360?

I don't have such a camera so may not be able to get the full breadth of the 360 panorama in my photo.

My photo may look nothing like the 360 one but be taken from the same location.

Could you clarify what "expert or pro" means in the directions? I found some panoramas in my area with names of those who submitted them, but how does one figure out their level of expertise?

If they have "expert" or "pro" status, this is indicated together with the name. So if you see only the name, they are not "expert" or "pro".

Could you clarify what "expert or pro" means in the directions? I found some panoramas in my area with names of those who submitted them, but how does one figure out their level of expertise?

If they have "expert" or "pro" status, this is indicated together with the name. So if you see only the name, they are not "expert" or "pro".

Thank you for helping me with that explanation.

After reading the discussion in this thread, I would tend to fall in the include everyone camp. For me, including everyone would not be a problem and would mean more places to discover.

Thank you for helping me with that explanation.

After reading the discussion in this thread, I would tend to fall in the include everyone camp. For me, including everyone would not be a problem and would mean more places to discover.

Agreed - especially since the only apparent qualification to be a "pro" is paying $179 euros per year -- over $225USD, roughly.

I downloaded the 360 cities app, and that was one of the first things they offered me -- pro status for someone who has not even taken her first panorama yet! :0

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Agreed - especially since the only apparent qualification to be a "pro" is paying $179 euros per year -- over $225USD, roughly.

I downloaded the 360 cities app, and that was one of the first things they offered me -- pro status for someone who has not even taken her first panorama yet! :0

That changes my vote. For some odd reason I thought the status had something to do with the quality of the photos. Dumb me!

That changes my vote. For some odd reason I thought the status had something to do with the quality of the photos. Dumb me!

Yeah, we are thinking of changing too -- Andreas, are you willing to change the description to remove the pro or expert requirement? I doubt expert means much more here than pro :(

Finding a panorama on that site and replicating it is fun, but I think the category would do well to unhook from the pro or expert labels. What do you think?

One of the ways you can improve your ranking on the 360 cities website is to accomplish missions by taking panoramas that are listed on the mission page. These are of local businesses or events -- "take a panorama of an united airlines ticket counter" is one. "Take a panorama of the vista ridge shopping center" is another.

We think missions are determined by businesses who pay into the site. the business then gets cheap advertising when someone takes their suggested panorama, which is then featured on the site.

Very circular, and in a way, brilliant! 360 cities has figured out how to monetize a cool idea and enlist millions of smartphones to build not only their brand, but the brands of their clients as "pros".

We think the category idea of requiring pro or expert panoramas was to find cool places phorographed by professional or experienced panorama photographers and link our WM photo to that panorama. This aspect appears to be missing when pro or expert designations are for sale.

Makes us think Editors Picks are not as exclusive as they sound :(

Panorama of a new Allen TX shopping center anyone? It's a mission :( and might be an Editors Pick for the right amount of $$$

http://www.360cities.net/map#lat=54.57094&lng=13.65819&zoom=16

http://www.360cities.net/image/die-hertaburg-eine-slavische-wallanlage-rgen/?from=map,54.57094,13.65819,16#330.80,-1.60,70.0

http://www.360cities.net/image/feuchtbiotop-modderstubben-in-der-stubbenkammer-rgen/?from=map,54.57094,13.65819,16#54.20,-10.50,70.0

http://www.360cities.net/image/die-victoriasicht-blick-auf-den-knigsstuhl-ii-rgen/?from=map,54.57151,13.66259,16#327.60,6.70,70.0

http://www.360cities.net/image/1-190/?from=map,54.53164,13.66510,14#237.20,6.40,63.1

All of these panos where made by 'only' experts. Many of the panos are made by experts.

"Becoming an expert member

Most published members of 360Cities that signed up before February 2011 are already expert members automatically. You can see your expert member status in your account dashboard. To become an expert member keep publishing panoramas that meet our technical and quality requirements for some time. If we see consistency in your published panoramas, we'll make you an expert member. Please do not write to us asking to become an expert member. We'll review your account when we see you've been publishing good-quality content." http://help.360cities.net/expert-members

So we could delete the 'Pro' who are paying for that?

Thanks for getting rid of Pro, but we are still not impressed with the 360 cities guys. They say they want to panorama the world, and I am sure they do (they have figured out how to make money on the free work and purchased smartphones of others who are using their 360 cities app-- which is also free). Free app + great looking website = a BIG clue that it has GOT to be about the money, and art is way down the list.

That's why we doubt the 360 cities folks when they say they bestow expert status on those who consistently contribute "quality" panoramas. What does THAT mean, exactly? We bet it means good useable panoramas made as part of "mission" completions -- which means, attractive panoramas of advertiser's locations who are paying 360 cities to be part of the program. And I CAN get expert status for that :(

Sorry - we just don't have a warm fuzzy about these guys. When the social- media aspect of this gets old, we don't see how this site can be sustained.

Latest edit for a typo -- or finger-o since I am using my iPhone -- ha!!

Over in peer review 2 voters made almost the same comment: "open this to homemade panoramas and I am in." That's a GREAT suggestion in our view.

The proposed category could keep the 360 cities link, but an alternative acceptable WM could be a panorama the waymarker created of a publicly accessible place that can be visited.

Then the category would not be dependent on the continued existence of one website , on its arbitrary determination of who is an expert (and who is not), but would still encourage visiting and making panoramas of cool places.

We'd vote yes on THAT category :), instead of No on the current :(

Panoramas are fun to make and look at - Younger Sister Blaster made several around the house yesterday. The iPhone panorama apps make this easy to do.

I call Dallas Dealey Plaza!