Bad Form?

Martymarquette

I would go get it if it was mine. In fact I have done just that. I don't see anything wrong with it. Does it have any tag on it that says where oit wants to go? Would be a good idea if it did so people will know when they pick it up what the goal is. Good luck with your traveler.

Yes, that's fine. Move 'em along.

You could also pick one up not your own from a cache you've already been to with a note (not another found it) saying you stopped by.

Trackables are meant to move around.

I believe you can change everything but the cache type.

- Check with your reviewer to be sure.

I don't own any TB's myself, but I do own a few caches out in the country that don't get visited very often. I had someone contact me recently after seeing that her daughter's TB had been stuck in on of my caches for a few months and they would really like to see it moving again, and would I mind terribly to go out and move it for them. I was glad to help, so I went to my cache (logging my visit with a Note), retrieved it, and moved it to a busier location.

I was wondering if it is Ok to go pick up your own TB to move it to a more popular cache. My TB was picked up and taken to an out of the way cache - I want it to travel across Canada going east and it ended up going NW.

So if I go the cache and take it myself is that considered bad form?

There's no guarantee that your TB will move around as you intended. In fact, after you move it, you may be faced with a similar dilemma down the road....unless you want to keep retrieving it, of course.

One more question. I have adopted two caches - I really do not like their names - am I able to change the names to something I like?

I wouldn't change the name. Some might be have found cache ABC and logged it, then later see cache XYZ on their list and delete the find-since they didn't find a cache by that name. Or a cacher could look at the map and see cache XYZ and try to find it again.

You could always archive the old cache and put a new one out...Anyway it's just a name.

One more question. I have adopted two caches - I really do not like their names - am I able to change the names to something I like?

Oh, come on. What's not to like about fawndling the parabola or I talked eh? :anibad:

They're your caches now, it's up to you. If the old owner didn't want you changing the description, title, rating, etc., they should have archived the old cache listing and let you publish a new one of your own.

That said, it would be confusing to old finders, so you might consider leaving the old name in the title, something like "Super Awesome Cache (formerly I talked eh)" -- or just putting something in the description like "Formerly known as I talked eh, published by canadazuuk." Or, not. Your call as the cache owner.

You might also want to change the owner line from "canadazuuk" to "canadazuuk, adopted by Martymarquette" or something. Again, up to you.

The new cache owner can feel free to amend the name of the caches if they like.

I talked eh = Edith Lake

As for the neaby fawndling the parabola, the tree the cache was originally hidden at was shaped in such a way that it resembled a parabola

I was reminded of a song called 'She offered only parabolas'..... and so it went, fawn + parabola

My TB was picked up and taken to an out of the way cache - I want it to travel across Canada going east and it ended up going NW.

It does seem that cachers need to have some kind of device to indicate directions made available to them. Perhaps someone could give some thought to inventing such a device :lol:

We released our first TB in western New York not far from the Pennsylvania border on Lake Erie. The goal was to go to Arizona. So far it has traveled north and east only - Arizona is southwest. At the same time, we dropped off a TB that had a goal of going to Maine. I had picked it up in Kentucky, dropped it in New York, and it was picked up and is now in Ohio. I've looked at a few other TBs and it seems to be a common issue that they will mostly travel in any direction except the correct one.

I've read enough in the forums to know that this was likely to happen so it doesn't bother me much and it has only been a couple months. When it disappears - as is apparently also a good likelihood - I won't be surprised or hurt either.

regarding adopting a cache - how do you go about doing this? i've noticed a cache local to me has been in need of maintenance for a long time and recently went out with a new log book and cleaned it up a bit - tried to get in touch with the owner but they havent been online since 2011, so i'm wondering if i can adopt it and give it a new container (as the current one is broken and it'd be a perfect hiding place for one i've been working on...!!) any advice?

regarding adopting a cache - how do you go about doing this? i've noticed a cache local to me has been in need of maintenance for a long time and recently went out with a new log book and cleaned it up a bit - tried to get in touch with the owner but they havent been online since 2011, so i'm wondering if i can adopt it and give it a new container (as the current one is broken and it'd be a perfect hiding place for one i've been working on...!!) any advice?

Have there been any NM logs? If not, post one. After the cache has been NM for a while with no response from the owner, post a NA. When the cache has been archived, use the location for your own cache. (Adoption has to be initiated by the owner; if they are not responding to your emails there is nothing you can do.)

Have there been any NM logs? If not, post one. After the cache has been NM for a while with no response from the owner, post a NA. When the cache has been archived, use the location for your own cache. (Adoption has to be initiated by the owner; if they are not responding to your emails there is nothing you can do.)

ok thank you :)