Waypoint Distances: Reviewer vs. Online Calculators

stevebass

Could the calculator that GC reviewers use be inaccurate?

I realize the reviewer's calculations are final, but that's not the issue. I'm asking because if I'm going to continue planting caches, I need to understand the distance variations: Why the calculator that the reviewer uses gives such different results from so many of the other distance calculators I've tried.

Here's what happened: I submitted a cache for review and the reviewer said it was just 455 feet from another existing cache. My figures put the distance at 0.1 miles.

I tried four distance calculating sites, two recommended by GC (calculator 2 and Calculator 3), Boulter, another respected site, as well as Google Distance.

All of the sites provided distance results greater than the reviewers, even though there was a range -- for instance, 0.248K, 0.154 miles, 0.11...

Finally, I dropped the coordinates for the new cache in Hide & Seek a Cache. I got a list of the nearby caches and the distances to those caches, and I received what the reviewer stated: 455 feet.

If you're curious, here are the cords:

New cache

N 34° 10.958 W 118° 06.261

Nearest cache (I'm the CO here, too).

N 34° 10.958 W 118° 06.352

Thoughts?

Zip and Jbird

boulter says 458

another utility I use says 459

Expert GPS says 458.7 ft

I'd guess you're mis-entering the coords, it's easy to do.

I wouldn't expect more than a couple of feet difference between any calculators at this distance.

I looked at your cache, the coords you've put in the reviewer note are not the same as the coords on the listing.

the coords on the listing are

N 34° 10.958 W 118° 06.261

the coords you put in your reviewer note, and the ones you've checked at various services are

34 10.895 N 118 6.261 W

that's a 383 ft difference in the latitude

Edited by palmetto

I'd guess you're mis-entering the coords, it's easy to do.

This.

Using the coordinates and tools posted in the OP, I get the following results:

-"Calculator 2" = 458.3 feet

-"Calculator 3" = 458.7 feet

-Boulter = 458 feet

-Google Maps = 0.2 miles, but is clearly using roads as seen by the line on the map

With the exception of Google Maps, which clearly can't be used for doing straight-line calculations, all of the posted tools agree to within a foot.

Thanks to all of you for the guidance. What you've all said makes sense and it's pretty clear I have a lot to learn about coordinates -- and distance calculators.

Last question on the same topic: Is it unthical to archive (deactivate) the nearby cache (it was our very first, an uninspired park and grab) and resubmit the new one?

Zip

Last question on the same topic: Is it unthical to archive (deactivate) the nearby cache (it was our very first, an uninspired park and grab) and resubmit the new one?

Zip

No - as long as it has been out for 4 or more months. If it has been less than a reviewer may invoke the cache permanence guideline. Although, as long as you do not make it a habit of doing so, - a one time archive and re-submit for the same area is likely not an issue.