GPS Help for Trip to Bali

dijitaldharma

Hello! I currently use the Geocaching App on my iPhone to find caches, and I will be visiting Bali this summer without a data plan (too expensive). I would like to purchase a GPS to accomplish this, but I'm unsure how to go about doing so, since I'm an actual handheld GPS N00B. Can anyone recommend an easy-to-read GPS and instruct me as to how to load a map of Bali and/or find caches without my lovely little iphone app? Thanks in advance for your help! :P

Check the GPSr recommendation thread. I traveled to the Bahamas last year, and didn't download a map beforehand, just the caches. My GPSr still showed the land and features, and I could find the caches easily, I just didn't have any roads or navigation instructions. That I did on a laptop (though you could print the maps out first, of course). I'd been concerned that there would be just a blank screen, and was pleasantly surprised at how much info the device showed.

Hello! I currently use the Geocaching App on my iPhone to find caches, and I will be visiting Bali this summer without a data plan (too expensive). I would like to purchase a GPS to accomplish this, but I'm unsure how to go about doing so, since I'm an actual handheld GPS N00B. Can anyone recommend an easy-to-read GPS and instruct me as to how to load a map of Bali and/or find caches without my lovely little iphone app? Thanks in advance for your help! :P

I just got back from a trip to Bali/Flores/Komodo and geocached using my iPhone. I used wifi every chance I could and added the geocaches to my "saved" list. Someone else I know (who wasn't geocaching) unlocked their iPhone and bought a simcard upon arrival in Denpasar with unlimited data plan for $30/30 days. I highly recommend the app CityMaps2Go (free) which allows you to download maps onto your iPhone for everywhere.

Another suggestion I have is to bring a piece of paper with a description of what geocaching is in Indonesian (you can find an Indonesian "so you found this geocache" page on the Hide a Cache page). We found many people didn't understand what we were doing, and many of the caches in Bali require you to ask someone to get it for them (such as Holy Springs Temple in Ubud). We nearly got arrested in Jakarta because a security guard thought we were "taking" something...and there was no description inside the cache to describe to him what we were doing.

Have fun!!!

I just got back from a trip to Bali/Flores/Komodo and geocached using my iPhone. I used wifi every chance I could and added the geocaches to my "saved" list. Someone else I know (who wasn't geocaching) unlocked their iPhone and bought a simcard upon arrival in Denpasar with unlimited data plan for $30/30 days. I highly recommend the app CityMaps2Go (free) which allows you to download maps onto your iPhone for everywhere.

Another suggestion I have is to bring a piece of paper with a description of what geocaching is in Indonesian (you can find an Indonesian "so you found this geocache" page on the Hide a Cache page). We found many people didn't understand what we were doing, and many of the caches in Bali require you to ask someone to get it for them (such as Holy Springs Temple in Ubud). We nearly got arrested in Jakarta because a security guard thought we were "taking" something...and there was no description inside the cache to describe to him what we were doing.

Have fun!!!

Thank you so much! I am thinking of getting a pocket pay as you go wifi to supplement my phone, too. Just downloaded CityMaps2Go... awesome! And I'll definitely print out the geocaching info, too. Don't want to go to an Indonesian jail, thank you very much! Thanks for the great tips!

Check the GPSr recommendation thread. I traveled to the Bahamas last year, and didn't download a map beforehand, just the caches. My GPSr still showed the land and features, and I could find the caches easily, I just didn't have any roads or navigation instructions. That I did on a laptop (though you could print the maps out first, of course). I'd been concerned that there would be just a blank screen, and was pleasantly surprised at how much info the device showed.

Thank you for the info!! :)