Worst thing you've ever grabbed while searching?

Buzzy204

While out looking for a cache I reached up in a log and grabbed something that moved, yeah it was a possum and he didn't play dead at all. What's the worst thing you've grabbed?

WOW, Opossums are nasty. Did you get bit? I grabbed a field mouse from a hollow spot in a tree. Funny thing is I saw it and thought it was the cache. Things just look different at night and my flashlight must have froze him.

While out looking for a cache I reached up in a log and grabbed something that moved, yeah it was a possum and he didn't play dead at all. What's the worst thing you've grabbed?

You didn't realize that it was a live possum when you poked it with your stick first?

I don't put my hands anywhere that I can't see without poking around first, and I don't assume that anything that could be alive, isn't. If a "fake" rattlesnake bites me five miles from the trail head with no cell coverage, I could die or lose a limb.

Edited by Don_J

The Gummee half (more than) once thought that a prickly pear might have been a cache. Not living in a cactus producing climate, a few trips west have resulted in her "remembering" (albeit a bit late) a couple of times.

Nothing really any worse than that.

We have more trouble placing caches, early in the spring. Many times, the bears aren't out and about yet! Luckily, we ARE used to bears and where they hide/sleep/hibernate.

EDIT to add: Just remembered STEPPING on a hiding fawn soon after we started caching. It bleated loudly and blasted away. That just about made stuff run down my leg -- but, mama was watching -- and she blew past me about 60 miles per hour too! That DID make stuff run down my leg!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Not sure if I actually *GRABBED* it or not, but I got a scorpion sting while reaching under a ground-level lampskirt.

I was sure where the cache was, and wasn't looking at my hands because I was watching the other park users.

Stung like hell for a minute or two, and the finger 'felt funny' for a couple of hours after.

I guess I was lucky it was a scorpion and not a Black Widow.

was searching in a tree crotch, like 4 1/2 feet off the ground and inside, dog poo. Its not so much the dog poo itself, but who would think to watch out for it there?

What you probably found was Raccoon poo! They will usually defecate before climbing to their tree nest.

Edited by CachingHuntress

I grabbed a Prairie Rattlesnake once early in my caching career - luckily it was like 38F degrees out so it was just trying to warm itself under a sagebrush near ground zero and was slow to move. I wasn't. I learned to use my staff to probe such areas.

"Staff" as in stick, or "staff" as in the posse of assistants you bring on your geocaching expeditions? :grin:

Edited by wmpastor

Surprised no one has said poison ivy yet...there was a cache a bit west that required side stepping along a very narrow rock ledge 20 feet above a creek, and there were HUGE poison ivy vines growing along the cliff. Impossible to avoid. Can't say it was the worst thing, though, since (so far) I'm not allergic. I did find a raccoon sleeping right next to an ammo can under a burned out trunk--practically curled up around it. It was the middle of winter, and the thing just stared at me for a minute before scampering off. Sooo...Guess I'll have to go with "wasp nest" for the worst.

Caching in No. Dallas, Tx. I stuck my hand in a hole in a tree to retrieve a cache. I saw the ants, but they were little ones, not fire ants, and I didn't figure they could hurt. When I withdrew my hand it was covered with ants. Ok for a second or two, then they started to bite in chorus. Hand swelled and itched for days.

I grabbed a Prairie Rattlesnake once early in my caching career - luckily it was like 38F degrees out so it was just trying to warm itself under a sagebrush near ground zero and was slow to move. I wasn't. I learned to use my staff to probe such areas.

"Staff" as in stick, or "staff" as in the posse of assistants you bring on your geocaching expeditions? :grin:

<_<

:lol:

Just this past Sunday I had some snow fall into my shoe whilst I crossed a small sno bank to get at a cache....it was COLD!

I think I've learned more with this thread than all the other combined.

Carry a pokie stick.

Carry wet-wipes.

Carry Black Widow anti-venom.

Carry scorpion anti-venom.

Carry rattlesnake ant-venom.

Carry honey. (To draw ants away from the cache)

Carry tweezers.

Carry a blindfold. (To keep the possum asleep)

Carry a smoke bomb.

Carry sugar cubes. (To draw coons away from the cache)

Carry calomine lotion.

Get my hep vaccine.

Get my tetnus vaccine.

NEW!!! Courtesy The Incredibles!

Carry extra batteries for my GPS.

Carry extra batteries for my I-Phone.

Carry salt. (For the cougar).

Get a bigger backpack.

Thanks everyone!!!

:blink:

Edited by CamoriCouple

I was near a multi-use trail by a river. Lifting rocks under a bridge looking for a cache. Lifted a rock and found the underside to be covered with poo. The animal leaving this poo used TP. Thank goodness I had gloves on. Gloves went in nearest trash can. The rock was the one the cache was under. Sent CO an email that this one probably needed to be archived. He thought so too.

Just this past Sunday I had some snow fall into my shoe whilst I crossed a small sno bank to get at a cache....it was COLD!

Carry a pokie stick.

Carry wet-wipes.

Carry tweezers.

Carry a smoke bomb.

Carry calomine lotion.

Get my hep vaccine.

Get my tenus vaccine.

Get a bigger backpack.

Thanks everyone!!!

lol!!!!

Carry a pokie stick.

Carry wet-wipes.

Carry tweezers.

Carry a smoke bomb.

Carry calomine lotion.

Get my hep vaccine.

Get my tenus vaccine.

Get a bigger backpack.

Thanks everyone!!!

Plus extra batteries. If your GPS dies and you get lost, you may get eaten by a cougar.

Worse thing we have walked into was two huge bears worse thing I've grabbed was something that made my hand smell had no idea what it was but the type of smell that makes your puking senses tingle