Detecting Player Hardware?

sgauss

I've been playing with the builder, learning the concepts, and working on a prototype for a cartridge/cache. Last night I decided it was time to try it out on real hardware in the field, so I loaded up the prototype on my Android phone and my Oregon and tested it out. The good news is it ran well and looked good on my phone. The bad news is I hadn't fully accounted for the Oregon player and was trying to trigger a sequence by selecting a character. That utterly failed on the Oregon, but it can be fixed.

I'm interested in differentiating the behavior of my cartridge for the hardware, rather than being forced to write to the lowest common denominator. In this case, I'd add/enable a 'talk' command for the character on the Oregon. I'd also like to take advantage of some of the commands the Oregon doesn't support to go directly to an item in inventory, rather than making the user navigate through the UI. I absolutely want to support all possible platforms; part of the reason I bought my Oregon was to play Wherigo long before I had a smart phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to detect if I'm running on an Oregon? Should I assume the Colorado has the same capabilities/limits as the Oregon?

On orgeon nearly everything can be programmed, how you want it that it works. Some things you must avoid, such as a click on a task or item or character. Here you always have tu use commands.Some things work on oregon, but on some other devices not. For exampel changing pictures in a message box every second, such a countdown. Perfect on oregon !

For checking whether this is an oregon, compare the environment ... if environment.platform="Vendor 1 ARM9"

Items you can show too. Drag the action "show object details" and then inside it the item that you want.