how do i place caches with my android?

SouthCarolina4

To place a cache? You just set it down :laughing: Are you using the Official ($10) geocaching app? another authorized app? an unauthorized app? Can't really help unless we know what you are using.

thats funny.....lol yes I am using the official ($10) geocaching app.

Edited by SouthCarolina4

May sound a little odd, but I use several different apps to place a single cache:

1 - Geocaching.com app, turn on compass mode for any cache - it will display your current coordinates. Screenshot...walk away about 30 feet, come back, second screenshot, repeat for a third screenshot (each time letting the GPS "settle" for at least 30 seconds to a minute before taking the screenshot).

2 - GPS status app will give you a good readout of your coordinates. I repeat the steps from above and get at least two or three readings.

3 - If I'm feeling like the readings are too varied, I'll use a third app, which varies between c:geo (compass mode), an app called 'Place Saver' or the compass tool from the 'Smart Tools' app.

It may seem like overkill to get a minimum of six screenshots just to place a single cache, but you'll notice you get readings that vary - and I imagine that happens even with standalone GPS devices. I've had good luck with most of my caches this way...except for one I had to update the coordinates on after folks told me the reading was off. The updated coords I got came back spot on for everyone, so I figure my method is about as good as I can make it.

May sound a little odd, but I use several different apps to place a single cache:

1 - Geocaching.com app, turn on compass mode for any cache - it will display your current coordinates. Screenshot...walk away about 30 feet, come back, second screenshot, repeat for a third screenshot (each time letting the GPS "settle" for at least 30 seconds to a minute before taking the screenshot).

2 - GPS status app will give you a good readout of your coordinates. I repeat the steps from above and get at least two or three readings.

3 - If I'm feeling like the readings are too varied, I'll use a third app, which varies between c:geo (compass mode), an app called 'Place Saver' or the compass tool from the 'Smart Tools' app.

It may seem like overkill to get a minimum of six screenshots just to place a single cache, but you'll notice you get readings that vary - and I imagine that happens even with standalone GPS devices. I've had good luck with most of my caches this way...except for one I had to update the coordinates on after folks told me the reading was off. The updated coords I got came back spot on for everyone, so I figure my method is about as good as I can make it.

Wow, you need to get GPS Averaging One App no messing around, and walking around. Just wait a minute or so to get ~50 measurements and a good accuracy value. The you can then e-mail yourself the co-ords.

Wow, you need to get GPS Averaging One App no messing around, and walking around. Just wait a minute or so to get ~50 measurements and a good accuracy value. The you can then e-mail yourself the co-ords.

I have a HTC and this is the app I use for placements. No complaints so far...

Until I bought my Oregon 450, I cached almost exclusively with my HTC Sensation. I placed a couple of caches using the GPS averaging app suggested above, and (so far) haven't had any of my co-ordinates disputed by other cachers.

Cool. Hadn't seen that one. Thanks. I'll try it out.

I'll probably still back-check it with one of my other methods just to be sure.