Australian Football

Recently I have researched and can't find any waymark categories for football (Australian version) (AFL). So I have decided that it might be neat to start a category.

For those that don't know what AFL is ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_League

Waymarks will be accepted for football goals at local parks and also football grounds. Of course most of the waymarks will be in Australia but I have seen some very odd categories only in America so it shouldn't matter. Also there are actually AFL clubs overseas. Waymarks for the category would just have to be at places you can play football with goals that are permanent.

I am looking for people preferably people that know the game but it isn't required to become officers. Roles of officers are reviewing the waymarks going into the category.

Group link is: http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=b867ae19-5d63-4815-accd-93c6a2890c64&gid=6

Yes every year a number of countries of the world participate in a world competition in Australia. I believe Ireland on the competition last year? Also there are many teams around the world in general. Off the top of my head there is the Shanghai Dockers (Stole the name from the official league team - Fremantle Dockers - Also the team I support! :)

The game is really fun and the season is very close to starting again. Yes I live in Australia! :P

Edited by Lachlan1.77

[...] but I have seen some very odd categories [...]

This is a trap almost any beginner falls into. You should never compare to other (especially older) categories. Times have changed a lot and many of the old categories would not be approved today if they were new. When you read the FAQ you will get the impression that peer review is only a technical formality. This is not the case anymore. It is a fight you will have to win with very good arguments and a clear and concise proposal; most reviews fail.

Back to your idea: AFL. I am personally not so much into sports, but I do acknowledge that sports have always been an integral part of our culture and history from the ancient Olympic athletes and the Roman gladiators until today's media heroes. Of all team sports I have ever seen, AFL is the one I liked the most (which is still not very much, though).

I did a short check; my home country has two teams, one is located at the border and plays in the league of the neighboring country, the other one, more in the county center is inactive and waits for another one to be founded so they have an opponent for their first game. :D

I am not against it; it might be a viable category, but the geographical limitation will make it tough.

If you manage to spread you enthusiasm to enough voters who may never have heard of this sport before and can give us credible documentation that it can be found worldwide (but much less than in Australia, of course), then you might have a chance.

You should look for some experienced waymarkers with a good reputation in the community to help you; some friedly geocaching mates will not be useful at all, officers with low stats often provoke additional nay votes.

No they definitely wouldn't be able to. As probably none of the waymarked locations will actually be stadiums. Football is played more than just the big league. Like soccer you have the big league and there are many junior clubs. Same with football.

What I would be achieving in this waymark is places you can play football. Where there are goals or a football ground. For example my local football club is just an oval with 4 large lights and a club room. This is NOT professional. Professional would be like playing at the MCG in Melbourne.

Personally this should be a waymark category but time will tell... <_< -- If you are interested in joining as an officer..

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=b867ae19-5d63-4815-accd-93c6a2890c64

Waymarks for the category would just have to be at places you can play football with goals that are permanent.

Hi there Lachlan1.77

The more I read about this category, thru the forum and the group detail page, the more I get the impression that you just want to waymark the permanent goals. Waymarking the goal doesn't really prove that AFL is played there, so I'm a little confused. Can you suggest some more criteria you might have in the category write-up?

Thanks so much.

I am not sure if we really have places that are dedicated to Australian football play only but there is a league in the U.S. with teams in many cities. I think the field that is used here in my area for Australian football was originally a cricket field (not sure if it is used for that purpose or not but it may well be). The league championships for Australian football this year are in Austin, Texas in October.

Edited by BruceS