Trackable Etiquette

onthehuntin702

I moved a trackable a little while ago and it has since been picked up by another member. They have been in possession of the trackable for over 2 weeks now. So what is the appropriate protocol for a situation like this? Let it be and let the trackable owner worry about it? I'd like to see the next spot the trackable makes it to because we sort have a little bit invested in it's travel.

I moved a trackable a little while ago and it has since been picked up by another member. They have been in possession of the trackable for over 2 weeks now. So what is the appropriate protocol for a situation like this? Let it be and let the trackable owner worry about it? I'd like to see the next spot the trackable makes it to because we sort have a little bit invested in it's travel.

From the Groundspeak Knowledge Book's Trackable Etiquette section: "Be considerate and don't take a Trackable if you are not planning to go geocaching in the next 2-3 weeks."

My attitude towards trackables I've moved is curiosity, not responsibility. So feel free to watch what happens, but don't bother to try to "help". In one or two extraordinary cases, I've noticed something in a log and pinged someone about a trackable they seem to have forgotten, but it's very rare, and I don't think it's ever accomplished anything.

And 2 weeks is nothing. It's not unusual for people to hold trackables for 2 months, despite what the guidelines suggest.

There is no protocol in this situation.

"Let it be and let the trackable owner worry about it" is your only option.

You can put the trackable on a watchlist if you want to follow its travels (and eventual demise), but since you're not the owner, that's about the only action you can take.

B.

I as a turist need to get home and online before i Can log..

If the ever online local would consider that, i would be happy.

I placed a TB last week (moved to another cache as a favor for the TB Owner). The paper cache log showed several people had found the cache after I dropped the TB, but there was no mention of the TB at all. Someone took it, but was late logging online. If it were at least mentioned in the paper cache log in the container, "Took TB" or whatever, that would help greatly.

Edited by kunarion

There is no protocol in this situation.

"Let it be and let the trackable owner worry about it" is your only option.

You can put the trackable on a watchlist if you want to follow its travels (and eventual demise), but since you're not the owner, that's about the only action you can take.

B.

Pretty much, this () is the case. If it isn't your trackable, it isn't your concern.

yes, such is the life of a travel bug! 2 weeks is really nothing in the busy lives we all lead, weather, illness and with the increasing numbers of micros and also geocaches out there that travelbugs seem to go missing from regularly, so I know i tend to hold on until i find just the right cache for each bug; I'm also very busy, so sadly there might be times I hold a bug for many weeks longer than "etiquette" suggests - I do like to keep the bug moving and write notes, stories and photos, so it doesn't just sit dormant, but yes, I do hold them for a while before I find that great cache to plonk them into.

I have a few travel bugs and trackables out roaming the Geo World and I keep a close eye on them ... it is really annoying to have people holding on to these for more than 2 to 3 weeks. If there are mitigating circumstances I would expect the holder to notify the owner ... it is also very annoying to arrive at a cache to find the expected travel bug/goecoin or whatever is not there and seems to have dropped off the end of the world. Surely the spirit of Geocaching is not to pinch bugs/coins/trackables and keep them .... if you are not going to move it on within a month then leave it and choose to "discover" it instead ....so if the person holding Bubu Goes Home for over two months is reading this ... please move him on or send him back to me !! Not yours to keep, my Geocaching friend. :angry:

Let it be and let the trackable owner worry about it?

Yes, and I'm not being flip about this but there may be a conversation going on between the holder and owner that you might not be aware of. Follow me here, if you want to get involved, as I often do, make sure you have made contact with the owner before doing anything.

yes, such is the life of a travel bug! 2 weeks is really nothing in the busy lives we all lead, weather, illness and with the increasing numbers of micros and also geocaches out there that travelbugs seem to go missing from regularly, so I know i tend to hold on until i find just the right cache for each bug; I'm also very busy, so sadly there might be times I hold a bug for many weeks longer than "etiquette" suggests - I do like to keep the bug moving and write notes, stories and photos, so it doesn't just sit dormant, but yes, I do hold them for a while before I find that great cache to plonk them into.

I did update the thread at the 6 week mark actually. : )

Let it be and let the trackable owner worry about it?

Yes, and I'm not being flip about this but there may be a conversation going on between the holder and owner that you might not be aware of. Follow me here, if you want to get involved, as I often do, make sure you have made contact with the owner before doing anything.

Sage stuff there, thank you.