Pocket Query

chrislux12

What version of Windows do you have? The file you receive is a zipped GPX file. You need to unzip the file. This will produce 2 GPX files. One with cache information and the other with additional waypoint eg parking cords, trail heads etc. The GPx files can be transferred to your GPS or opened with appropriate software such as easy GPX or GSAK depending on your model.

I am running Windows 7, 64bit, the email has 1 attachment and is 79.5kb, I have tried all the suggestions, I don't normally have problems unzipping files, if I select "Extract All" I get a message saying "The compressed (zip) folder is empty" I think there must be something wrong with the zip file.

Try downloading from the Geocaching.com web site instead of using the e-mail attachment. Click on Your Profile > Pocket Queries > Pocket Queries ready for download.

Edit: looks like you figured it out while I was typing. Some e-mail software or servers can corrupt certain attachments.

Edited by alandb

500 or less in the PQ will be sent via email, PQ's having 501 and more caches will be available only as a download.

Unzipping the file is often necessary to load it to a GPSr. To unzip the file, use your computer function (as already noted). Generally there is no reason for you yourself to get into the files as they are unusable to you -- your GPSr or a widget program can read them.

Of the two files, one will be geocache data, the other will be child waypoints (parking, trail heads, other POIs).

The easiest method for loading same to the GPSr is a simple drag-n-drop technique. Some use GSAK, EasyGPS and like programs, but they aren't really necessary. They are very good at "managing" your stats and much of the info contained in the files though.