Base Camp woes

poolump

It was all so easy with Mapsource. :)

I agree. I miss Mapsource. Had it with my 60Cx. Now I've got a 62S and rarely use BaseCamp, it doesn't do much (maybe I don't know how to use it properly). I miss seeing my journey mapped out with tracks and found caches.

When I transfer pocket query results to my Garmin Oregon 450, the caches are stored as waypoints not geocaches. What am I doing wrong? It was all so easy with Mapsource. :)

No need for basecamp or any other software - simply copy the unzipped GPX file to the [DRIVE]:\GARMIN\gpx folder on the device. Unhook and go caching.

It was all so easy with Mapsource. :)

I agree. I miss Mapsource. Had it with my 60Cx. Now I've got a 62S and rarely use BaseCamp, it doesn't do much (maybe I don't know how to use it properly). I miss seeing my journey mapped out with tracks and found caches.

Can the 62S save the track data in a GPX? If so, you can still use Mapsource to open it.

Thank you for the rapid responses. I can copy the query to the GPSr, but as I said the caches are listed as waypoints, not as geocaches. We are getting ready to go to MOGA and I have run queries for 50+ counties (@ 2000 caches) and the only way I've found to load them as caches with the accompanying info is to load them one at a time. I was hoping there was a method to avoid going to each cache page to download the GPX file. I realize this will require using multiple files on the laptop,microSD card to accomplish.

Edited by poolump

Thank you for the rapid responses. I can copy the query to the GPSr, but as I said the caches are listed as waypoints, not as geocaches. We are getting ready to go to MOGA and I have run queries for 50+ counties (@ 2000 caches) and the only way I've found to load them as caches with the accompanying info is to load them one at a time. I was hoping there was a method to avoid going to each cache page to download the GPX file. I realize this will require using multiple files on the laptop,microSD card to accomplish.

Are you sending Pocket Queries to the GPSr? Because you get complete GPX data that way, for 1000 caches at a time.

Or are you sending "caches" from Garmin BaseCamp to the GPSr?

If you unzip your Pocket Queries and copy them to the GPSr directly, each query is a large GPX file, and the Geocaches will be Geocaches, not waypoints. You don't go to each cache page and get each GPX, you would get a single Pocket Query of 1000 caches.

If you have 100,000 caches to load (50 x 2000), you probably will have trouble loading them all at once into the 450 anyway, so one plan is to load the Pocket Queries for just the area you will be caching each day. Each file for each county, or however you ran it.

I've never tried to send caches from Garmin Base Camp, so I don't know what it does. But I kinda hope it stores the complete cache info from Pocket Queries. Otherwise, BaseCamp won't be all that useful to me. Can you plug in the GPSr and have BaseCamp “see” the caches while it's plugged in, cache info stored on the GPSr? Just wondering.

Edited by kunarion

As others have said, copying the unzipped gpx file direct from your pc to the gps unit is the easiest way to go, no third party software needed.

I use GSAK, and I have noticed that when I send to gps from GSAK I need to be sure to append the file name with .gpx or it won't be sent as a gpx file. Is it possible you may have a similar issue?

Pocket Queries are the answer - here is a great tutorial: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Set a day for it to run and you should get a single file with up to 1000 caches in it as a result.

Maybe I am not unzipping the file correctly. the only way I know to open the zipped queries is to double click the icon on the desktop which opens a page with 1 or 2 GPX files, (caches and waypoints are seperate files). When I double click 1 of the files, it opens in Mapsource. We all know that won't work right. If I send one of the files directly to the 450 without opening in Mapsource the unit will not recognize any waypoints or caches period.

Frustration is approaching. :)

Maybe I am not unzipping the file correctly. the only way I know to open the zipped queries is to double click the icon on the desktop which opens a page with 1 or 2 GPX files, (caches and waypoints are seperate files). When I double click 1 of the files, it opens in Mapsource. We all know that won't work right. If I send one of the files directly to the 450 without opening in Mapsource the unit will not recognize any waypoints or caches period.

Frustration is approaching. :)

I have the GPX file open in EasyGPS, then I download the waypoints to my 62s via EasyGPS.

If I send one of the files directly to the 450 without opening in Mapsource the unit will not recognize any waypoints or caches period.

Here's a good process to get GPX files from Windows onto the Oregon so it can use them:

1) Download a Pocket Query ZIP file to your computer.

2) Unzip the file by a right-click “Extract All”, to get usually two GPX files (one is caches, one is waypoints such as parking places for the caches).

3) Plug the Oregon into a USB port and copy both files to the [OR drive]:\Garmin\GPX folder.

4) Wait a moment for the computer to finish closing the files, or click right-click “Eject”. Otherwise you may end up with empty or corrupted files if you unplug USB too quickly.

5) Unplug the Oregon, power on, and go.

Here's more specific info:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

This gets the caches onto the GPSr. It doesn't address how to use Mapsource nor Basecamp. If you need to map out the Geocaches within other software, you'll need to learn more about how that software works. But the above puts all the cache info onto the Oregon, which I think is the main thing you're trying to do.

You don't have to install or use any programs to simply copy GPX files to the Oregon. Just copy them. But they must be placed in the proper folder.

Edited by kunarion
If I send one of the files directly to the 450 without opening in Mapsource the unit will not recognize any waypoints or caches period.

Here's a good process to get GPX files from Windows onto the Oregon so it can use them:

1) Download a Pocket Query ZIP file to your computer.

2) Unzip the file by a right-click “Extract All”, to get usually two GPX files (one is caches, one is waypoints such as parking places for the caches).

3) Plug the Oregon into a USB port and copy both files to the [OR drive]:\Garmin\GPX folder.

4) Wait a moment for the computer to finish closing the files, or click right-click “Eject”. Otherwise you may end up with empty or corrupted files if you unplug USB too quickly.

5) Unplug the Oregon, power on, and go.

Here's more specific info:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

This gets the caches onto the GPSr. It doesn't address how to use Mapsource nor Basecamp. If you need to map out the Geocaches within other software, you'll need to learn more about how that software works. But the above puts all the cache info onto the Oregon, which I think is the main thing you're trying to do.

You don't have to install or use any programs to simply copy GPX files to the Oregon. Just copy them. But they must be placed in the proper folder.

I tried to follow these instructions and come up nada. Nothing shows when I plug into basecamp or mapsource. The 450 shows no waypoints or caches when I unplug and power up. When I open the G drive, thats what shows as the oregon drive, it shows the query but it is still zipped.

After dinner I'll try your link and see if that turns on any lights. TNX for your help.

I recently started doing this. Have pocket query send you the file unzipped. I have noticed that pocket query sends me two files. One is labeled waypoints and the other gpx. I load the gpx file into my gps sd card. Be careful...my computer opens two directories when I plug in my gps. One is the GPS and the other is the card.

I finally found the the GPX folder in the oregon. now I SEEM to be able to click and drag the opened PQ files into the drive. The next leap of faith is to plug in a microSD card and see how that works. Any bets on whether I'm back with questions on that????

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

I finally found the the GPX folder in the oregon. now I SEEM to be able to click and drag the opened PQ files into the drive. The next leap of faith is to plug in a microSD card and see how that works. Any bets on whether I'm back with questions on that????

Good job! I had some trouble figuring it all out at first, but the Garmin Wiki helped clear that up (so that's why I posted the link).

You can make a "\Garmin\GPX" folder on the SD card and load caches on it, although I've never needed to do that. It's kind of handy in certain situations, since you could save most any file as with any USB drive, even zipped Pocket Queries. That's also a good place to save maps if you download any.

Edited by kunarion

Good job! I had some trouble figuring it all out at first, but the Garmin Wiki helped clear that up (so that's why I posted the link).

You can make a "\Garmin\GPX" folder on the SD card and load caches on it, although I've never needed to do that. It's kind of handy in certain situations, since you could save most any file as with any USB drive, even zipped Pocket Queries. That's also a good place to save maps if you download any.

Yup I have problems with the SD card to. Windows knows it's there when I connect the usb cable. I can open the drive and I copied the "\Garmin\GPX" file to the card. I opened and dragged the waypoint and cache files from PQ's just like I did to the Oregon itself. With Windows, I can access and read the transfered files but neither the GPSr or Basecamp show there being anything on the card.

Knew I'd be back!

Yup I have problems with the SD card to. Windows knows it's there when I connect the usb cable. I can open the drive and I copied the "\Garmin\GPX" file to the card. I opened and dragged the waypoint and cache files from PQ's just like I did to the Oregon itself. With Windows, I can access and read the transfered files but neither the GPSr or Basecamp show there being anything on the card.

Knew I'd be back!

It's probably a good plan to put the cache files on internal memory, so they're all in one place. You can fit thousands on there without bothering with the SD card, which you can save for maps, images, or zipped files (using it like extra USB storage space).

One handy way to use the SD card, is if you have an Android tablet and can copy PQs to the card, then pop that card into the GPSr and go. But the SD card mounting clip is so cheesy, I never remove the card.

Edited by kunarion

Knew I'd be back!

Make sure the card is formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.

Knew I'd be back!

It's probably a good plan to put the cache files on internal memory, so they're all in one place. You can fit thousands on there without bothering with the SD card, which you can save for maps, images, or zipped files (using it like extra USB storage space).

One handy way to use the SD card, is if you have an Android tablet and can copy PQs to the card, then pop that card into the GPSr and go. But the SD card mounting clip is so cheesy, I never remove the card.

We are going to MOGA and spending the week prior camping and caching in southern IN + ILL. Without starting on ILL, I have @ 1750 GPX files I wanted to load to the card. That way, regardless where we wander we have caches. My understanding is that the limit for GPX files in the internal memory is @ 200. For LOC files it is @ 2000. Hence the desire to use the card.

As per normal, I start on a knowledge gaining project without enough time. The difference between toys and tools is our understanding of how to use them! :)

My understanding is that the limit for GPX files in the internal memory is @ 200. For LOC files it is @ 2000. Hence the desire to use the card.

The Oregon 450 with the most recent update should be able to handle at least 2500 caches, GPX with all the trimmings. It might depend on how wordy each page is.

My understanding is that the limit for GPX files in the internal memory is @ 200. For LOC files it is @ 2000. Hence the desire to use the card.

The Oregon 450 with the most recent update should be able to handle at least 2500 caches, GPX with all the trimmings. It might depend on how wordy each page is.

I really have no idea how the thing works, I don't own one, but I need to ask. Can it handle 2500 individual GPX files, each holding data for one cache? Note that this is different than a single GPX file holding data for 2500 caches. I think the OP wants to put 2500 files on it.

Can it handle 2500 individual GPX files, each holding data for one cache? Note that this is different than a single GPX file holding data for 2500 caches.

I think so. Good question. The main issue is the size of the data, the amount of memory the caches occupy. So if you're unlucky enough to get the kind with the image data encoded into the page, you can fill up the memory quickly... and the images won't even show up on the Oregon.

Edited by kunarion

Got the card working to. Product support @ Garmin got me on track.

1) Open Basecamp

2) Click and highlight the My Collection folder

3) Choose File in upper left corner of page

4) Choose Import in "My Collection"

5) Locate your file, highlight it, and click "Open"

You should now see it as a list that is tied to the My Collection folder.

6) Drag and drop this list onto your card

Make note of the green progress bar and checkmark which indicates a successful transfer.

My method was a bit different in that the PQ's didn't show up in the window to search for files for transfer. After opening the PQ, I drug the 2 files onto the search window, then transfered them to the My Collection folder. I wound up with a list of individual files in My Collection which I created a new folder and drug all the individual files into. I drug that file to the card and they show up with all the logs, hints ,etc.

Thanks to everybody for all the Help!

Got the card working to. Product support @ Garmin got me on track.

1) Open Basecamp

2) Click and highlight the My Collection folder

3) Choose File in upper left corner of page

4) Choose Import in "My Collection"

5) Locate your file, highlight it, and click "Open"

You should now see it as a list that is tied to the My Collection folder.

6) Drag and drop this list onto your card

Make note of the green progress bar and checkmark which indicates a successful transfer.

My method was a bit different in that the PQ's didn't show up in the window to search for files for transfer. After opening the PQ, I drug the 2 files onto the search window, then transfered them to the My Collection folder. I wound up with a list of individual files in My Collection which I created a new folder and drug all the individual files into. I drug that file to the card and they show up with all the logs, hints ,etc.

Thanks to everybody for all the Help!

So with that method, you can send GPX files from Basecamp, and they have all the cache info? If that's the case, I'm tempted to start using Basecamp :anicute:. I haven't even loaded any maps in it yet.

Yup, BaseCamp does all that. I also use the Export to GPX function to save an exported list and then import the same GPX group into my cell phone app.

I do something a little more manual that gives me more control. I make PQs on a forest preserve and import the PQ into a separate List in BC. So my list name is 'Douglas FP' for example. A typical radius PQ will contain caches from the surrounding area that I'm not interested in. So I'll delete those in BC using the multi select and select by area tools. I often add waypoints to the list for parking, puzzle solutions, etc. When that list is ready, I export the list to a GPX file and call it 'Douglas FP.gpx'. When I'm ready to attack that FP I just drag and drop it into the Garmin/GPX folder and I'm ready. When I'm finished with that FP I just browse to the Garmin/GPX folder and delete the 'Douglas FP' and they are all removed from the GPS in one click.

Yep. I used MapSource for years and then switched to Base Camp. I use Base Camp all the time now. One thing I liked with MapSource is that the "lists" were actual computer files that you could manage yourself, opening them, closing them, naming them what you want, deleting them, etc. They just fit into the usual file management thinking. BaseCamp has a giant hidden database with a hierarchy of list folders and lists. Ok, the hierarchy works fine. But I don't know why it all has to be in a database that is hidden way off in the nether world. Import and export help if I want to manage things like files. But it seems that the lists should just BE files.

Although I can download caches directly to my eTrex 20, I usually view cache pages to see if they are really findable, then download the GPX into a directory that I use for such things, then import them into a list in Base Camp. I have a list for just Geocaches To Find (usually somewhere around my home area), but then I'll make lists that can come and go, such as GCs for a trip to here or there. After finding any GC I drag it to the Geocaches Found list under My Collection (several levels down in folders, because I have everything well organized).

Anyway, I see that the issue, whatever it was, turned out not to be Base Camp (versus MapSource) but something with using the device and the folders thereon. It'd be hard for me to believe that BC was at fault when I use it for all of my geocaching these days, and have for almost a year.

I put all cache PQ and maps on the external card.

I figure if a PQ or map is giving my grief I can always take out the card. Hard to do that with internal memory.

Shaun

That's what I do with my Oregon 450.

Since I probably do more geocaching while traveling (at least in the last couple of years) than I do locally, I have two micro-SD cards, one I use for "local" caching that has local base maps (which actually includes all of the northeast), and another I use for traveling. If I'm traveling outside the U.S. I use the free Garmin OpenStreetMaps for basemaps. When I get home I just swap cards so that my GPS has local info.

I haven't yet tried to use Basecamp but I thought a little clarification regarding GPX files might be useful.

The "G" in GPX stands for GPS (not Geocaching) and the format is essentially for exchanging any kind of waypoint information between a GPS and some other "system" (i.e. a waypoint manager). The GPX format has a "schema" which defines what type of data is included in the file for each waypoint. As is the case for any XML file format, the "schema" is extensible, and that is what Groundspeak has done by creating a Groundspeak "namespace". Let's look at a couple of examples:

Here is a valid waypoint from a GPX file. You can see the lat/long coordinates, that the waypoint type is a Hotel, it should use the symbol (sym) for Lodging, and that the Label for the waypoint should be "Hyatt Regency Rochester".

<wpt lat="43.15660500" lon="-77.60886600">
<ele>0.000</ele>
<time>2007-12-26T15:32:51.718Z</time>
<sym>Lodging</sym>
<type>Hotel</type>
<extensions>
<time xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_modified/0/1">2007-12-26T15:42:43.734Z</time>
<label xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_overlay/0/3">
<label_text>Hyatt Regency Rochester</label_text>
</label>
</extensions>
</wpt>

However, when a GPX file from a Pocket Query is created, it includes Groundspeak extensions which provides data that is specific to geocaching. For example, here a partial copy of a waypoint from a GPX created from a PQ for caches that I own.

<Groundspeak:cache id="591257" available="True" archived="False" xmlns:Groundspeak="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0/1">
 	<Groundspeak:name>Ithaca Scenic View #1</Groundspeak:name>
 	<Groundspeak:placed_by>NYPaddleCacher</Groundspeak:placed_by>
 	<Groundspeak:owner id="949261">NYPaddleCacher</Groundspeak:owner>
 	<Groundspeak:type>Traditional Cache</Groundspeak:type>
 	<Groundspeak:container>Micro</Groundspeak:container>
 	<Groundspeak:attributes>
   	<Groundspeak:attribute id="8" inc="1">Scenic view</Groundspeak:attribute>
   	<Groundspeak:attribute id="7" inc="1">Takes less than an hour</Groundspeak:attribute>
   	<Groundspeak:attribute id="6" inc="1">Recommended for kids</Groundspeak:attribute>
   	<Groundspeak:attribute id="15" inc="1">Available during winter</Groundspeak:attribute>
   	<Groundspeak:attribute id="14" inc="1">Recommended at night</Groundspeak:attribute>
 	</Groundspeak:attributes>
 	<Groundspeak:difficulty>2</Groundspeak:difficulty>
 	<Groundspeak:terrain>2</Groundspeak:terrain>
 	<Groundspeak:country>United States</Groundspeak:country>
 	<Groundspeak:state>New York</Groundspeak:state>
</Groundspeak:cache>
 </wpt>

Note that the element names all start with "Groundspeak" (i.e <Groundspeak:difficulty>). Those are all Groundspeak extensions that are part of the Groundspeak "namespace". So what does that mean?

Waypoint managers such as EasyGPS and Basecamp would understand the "basic" GPX format, but, because they can be used for waypoints that are *not* geocaches (such as the Hyatt Regency Hotel), when it sends a GPX file to a GPS it might not include the Groundspeak extensions. Furthermore, unless the GPS device is fairly new, it's not going to understand the Groundspeak extensions either.

Also note that the "G" in GSAK stands for "Geocaching" and it *does* understand all the Groundspeak extensions, and thus if you send waypoints from GSAK to a GPS it's going to include those extensions, and if the GPS understands them (which typically means that it can support paperless geocaching), it will use that information (for example, an Oregon 450 can show long descriptions, difficulty, size, and even some of the logs).