What kind of bag do you use to go geocaching?

I'm still new to this, and I find myself continually loading up my hoodie pockets with swag and my pen and all that. By the time we find the cache my other half has to hold my GPS or it gets attached to my belt hook via carabiner (which causes my pants to fall down haha). What kind of bag would you suggest? I don't really want a backpack, mainly because it will be about 20 pounds by the time I get to my 20th cache.

My backpack is a simple day pack. Loaded it weighs about 12 lbs. That's water, minor first aid stuff, trackables to swap out, spare batteries, gloves, and seasonal clothing such as watch cap or mittens.

Not every cache is going to have room for swag or have swag in it. Very rarely do I leave or take swag. To me it is about the hike and fun of finding something hidden.

If you don't want a backpack, get a fanny pack.

I'm still new to this, and I find myself continually loading up my hoodie pockets with swag and my pen and all that. By the time we find the cache my other half has to hold my GPS or it gets attached to my belt hook via carabiner (which causes my pants to fall down haha). What kind of bag would you suggest? I don't really want a backpack, mainly because it will be about 20 pounds by the time I get to my 20th cache.

Other than the little weight to a small backpack/bookbag/hydropack, why would the weight be any different (from what you can already fit into pockets) from the first to the twentieth cache?

- Weight should be reduced by the twentieth, unless you're taking more than putting in.

I prefer a small hydro pack most days, traveling less than five miles.

Have to carry water anyway...

Other than the little weight to a small backpack/bookbag/hydropack, why would the weight be any different (from what you can already fit into pockets) from the first to the twentieth cache?

- Weight should be reduced by the twentieth, unless you're taking more than putting in.

I meant that I have the tendency to turn any bag I carry into a "Mary Poppins Bag". It gets too heavy. I want something small, so I don't have the room to overload it.

Local grab and go caches, just a fanny pack/bum bag, anything that involves a bit of a walk I use a sling bag - room for quite a bit of stuff, but not as much as a backpack. I can just slide it around to access it, rather than take it off!

This ismine you would have to see if you prefer the right or left hand version. I love mine and the price was great!

I meant that I have the tendency to turn any bag I carry into a "Mary Poppins Bag". It gets too heavy. I want something small, so I don't have the room to overload it.

Gotcha.

Then a hydro pack may be ideal for you, as few small hydros have pockets enough for anything but the basics - and that all-important water.

Later, if you decide to really hike it, go to a smaller day pack, where filling-it-to-the-gills still won't kill you in weight.

- But no fanny packs.

Besides being so '80s, they're thought of the same as guy purses. :laughing:

I bought a cheap $30 Camelbak from Big 5. But it's nice, has plenty of pockets! a small one for my pens/trackables, one for my repair items (baggies, logsheets, caches to place/replace) and one for swag to trade or just give out.

The windbreaker type material isn't the most durrable so if I used it to break my fall I'd probably rip open, but as of now it's still in great condition after nearley a year of outdoor hike-caching use.

Do you think a camera bag (smallish one) would work? Something with a sling. If we go hiking where were gonna be gone more than an hour, my other half will probably bring his DSLR that's got a hydration pack with it.

For light caching, something the size of a camera bag would be fine.

There you go, solved your own problem...

Do you think a camera bag (smallish one) would work? Something with a sling. If we go hiking where were gonna be gone more than an hour, my other half will probably bring his DSLR that's got a hydration pack with it.

For light caching, something the size of a camera bag would be fine.

There you go, solved your own problem...

Now where did I put that easy button?? (Thanks)

Oy - I'll hear no razzing about fanny packs! I wear one every day. It carries everything I need and then some. Of course, I get them in black so they will blend in to the rest of my wardrobe (I'm a stage tech by trade), as opposed to tacky tourist purple or something of that nature.

My fanny pack weighs just over five pounds. Contents include (but are not limited to): Notebook, six or seven pens/Sharpies, tape measure, multi-head screwdriver, full-sized utility knife, electrical tape, small pieces of rope, zap straps, all my ID, sewing kit, binder clips, quick links, a multitude of safety pins, bobby pins, paperclips, band-aids, elastics... I could go on... And all of this fits inside the pockets. Only my leatherman and my keys hang on the outside.

So who wants to tease me about my fanny pack??? :mad::lol:

Now, my caching bag is a whole other story. I have a sling bag that I just love. Not too big and has a strap that can be changed from left to right. One big pocket for GPS, camera, snacks and maintenance stuff; two smaller pockets - swag and trackables; a netting pouch on the side for a water bottle. The big pocket gets a bit jumbled but I have most things divided into ziplock bags and I know how to feel for what I want.

When caching round urban areas I take my normal every day bag with a pen in it.

When caching in the country side I take a karrimor hiking/walking bag and that's full of things such as

an emergency rain mac and first aid kit

spare caches for that spots stumble upon

Trackables

Water bottle

GPS

Swaps

Caching tools.

If I'm doing quick urban or suburban caches I have a small sack from REI that if I turn it inside out, it becomes a small backpack. I throw my camera, water, insect repellent and swag items in it.

If I'm leaving the pavement and town parks, I have a large, 2,500 ci, day pack that contains everything I may need to survive an unexpected night or two in the woods.

Edited by briansnat

I don't do long hike type caches (haven't come across one around here, anyway). When I'm going to spend the day caching I do have an old Jansport backpack that I put a few things in....extra batteries, car charger for my iphone, a lock n lock style container with extra log sheets, Geocaching brochures, and a few small trade items, roll of duct tape, a couple of emergency rain ponchos, and a few extra pens. But the pack usually stays in the truck.

On my person I don't carry a pack. I usually wear my 5.11 pants when caching and in my pockets are a bullet Space Pen, Swiss Army Knife, Streamlight flashlight, and a pair of mechanic's gloves. On my belt is my usual iPhone holster and a Gerber multi tool. GPS clips to my belt loop with a carabiner.

I just purchased a UTG Messenger Bag and I absolutely love it. It's basically a cheaper version of the Jumbo Versipack by Maxpedition.

I have it stocked with:

water bottle

New Trent iCarrier external battery

GPS and accessories

iPhone

baggies (sandwich size and small)

paper

travel bugs

pens, pencils, writing stylus for iPhone (for use with gloves in cold weather)

gloves

orienteering compass

USB port car charger

LED flashlight (a FTF prize from jarcc, THANKS! :cool: )

SWAG

Gerber muli-tool on my belt

It sounds like a lot of stuff but on a long day of caching, I use almost everything at least once. I should probably add a small roll of duck tape to my supplies.

Edited by bjohio

I usually carry my backpack if I'm going out for a decently long hike - since it distributes the weight of whatever I'm carrying the best. But for shorter hikes or urban expeditions, I really love my Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack. They come in lots of different sizes and can be worn just as a one-strap messenger bag or can be worn like a fanny pack (but they look *WAY COOLER* than a fanny pack! B) ).

Depending on how much caching I'm going to be doing and where I'm going, I'll either take my Sling pack for short trips/park N grabs or I'll take my daypack/backpack with removable hydration bladder.

Even with 2 litres of water in the bladder along with my other caching items, the pack balances nice and even.

I have not used the pack in the warmer weather yet, but it worked out very well on several long caching runs so far.

Simple and easy. I have a paracord lanyard on my GPSr. I can carry it, put it in a pocket, or clip it to my beltloop(Your pants fall down? wear a belt) Leatherman in my back right pocket. Pen and marker in my back left pocket. I get out of the car, find the cache and I'm done-If I have a TB it goes in my pocket to a specific cache. Anything that will involve walking a decent distance I'll have a small Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger. It has a spot for a hydration pack, water bottle, first aid kit/emergency kit. BUT as I discovered it can easily hold more than you intended, and become really heavy, really fast.

I have a narrow backpack from MEC. I originaly bought it for skiing (narrow so that it doesn't interfear with my arm movements). It is good because I can't overload it, it is only so big. That said, I still have room for food, water (it is build to hold a platapus hydropack) first aid, extra cloths, gloves, etc.

I recently got a Heys USA TravelMate Cross-Body Utility Bag (at an overstock type store for $15). It has tons of space, and several of the compartments are expandable depending on how much space you need at the time. It has many compartments with zippers and a water bottle holder. I have separate sections for supplies (hand sanitizer, flash light, batteries, gps, etc.), swag, repair kits (zip lock baggies, extra pencils, etc.), trackables, camera, etc.

It's small enough I can carry it into a restaurant or something (when I have my camera and GPS in it and don't want to leave it in the car) and have it just look like a purse.

I recently got the KangaTek Sling pack in black. It is just the right size for me. It has 4 zippered pockets in which I keep the following:

- iPhone or GPS

- pens, pencils, extra logs

- trade items

- tools of the trade (tweezers, extendable magnet, swiss army knife, smal flashlight)

I also have a Travel Bug patch that I have sewn to the front to make it "official".

Edited by RagnoJr

UPDATE: I've recently taken a different approach and purchased this ....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004F9HCMQ/ref=aw_d_var_2nd_sporting-goods_img?vs=1

I wanted a bag that I could dedicate to my Geocaching stuff and the Jansport backpack was a little too large for what I really wanted it for, plus I use it for other things and constantly taking out/replacing my Geo gear was starting to get old. I liked the looks of the Maxpedition style shoulder bags but the price. Wow. 😳

I found this one on Amazon for $23, and I also liked the design being symmetrical (either shoulder) unlike the Maxpedition, 5.11, and other similar bags that looked like they are designed to only go on one side. It also has a lot of the Molle style attachment points so i can add different pouches, accessories, etc. if needed. It seems to be pretty well made....I haven't actually gone caching with it yet but we're leaving for Tennessee this weekend and I hope to do a fair bit of caching up there, so we'll see how it works out.

We use a US military Molle II Medium Assault Pack. It works great - water resistant, plenty of room, different compartments, and it has a waist strap and chest strap to help distribute the load. The waist strap is especially helpful so that when you're bending over to look for a cache, the pack doesn't tumble over the back of your head :)

Edited by Wes_and_Tara