GPS for Geocaching and military use?

All GPS receiver units use coordinates. I believe though that hand-held units work better "in the field" than do automotive units.

Plenty of devices are shown here: http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps

Most commonly used ones are Garmin, Delorme, Magellan and Lowrance, but there are many others also.

Otherwise, just Google search any of those names and view their complete website(s).

My eTrex 30 supports military (MGRS) coordinates and I think every garmin handheld I owned does it, along with a big suite of other coordinate systems.

Thank you!!! We will definitely go Garmin then! We have the Magellan Explorist GC currently. We got it a couple years ago and it is slipping big time. It is time for a nice upgrade!

My eTrex 30 supports military (MGRS) coordinates and I think every garmin handheld I owned does it, along with a big suite of other coordinate systems.

Thank you!!! We will definitely go Garmin then! We have the Magellan Explorist GC currently. We got it a couple years ago and it is slipping big time. It is time for a nice upgrade!

I think most (all?) handheld magellans support MGRS as well, but go with what feels right. I'm not a big fan of the new garmin eTrex series. There have been too many firmware issues, even if most of them have been fixed now a year and a half after release... But suppose they are okay now - get another device if you need speedy map rendering though. Big upside is that the battery life is extremely good.

Edited by tr_s

Hello,

Don't know if he is walking or riding. If he is walking, the 62st is a good choice. Has maps of the US that are good enough. If he is riding, I like the Delorme PN60, since it is easy to navigate by selecting hiking or driving mode. Also, Delorme comes with Maps of the US. Delorme also offers Afghanistan maps with the military SE GPS. With either one, if he can identify the site on the GPS map, just select it and the GPS will navigate to it. The backtrack feature is useful in getting back to the start point. I am former military a long time ago. Map and compass is still important, but these new devices would have made my life a lot easier. Best of luck whatever you choose and thanks for your service.

Hello,

Don't know if he is walking or riding. If he is walking, the 62st is a good choice. Has maps of the US that are good enough. If he is riding, I like the Delorme PN60, since it is easy to navigate by selecting hiking or driving mode. Also, Delorme comes with Maps of the US. Delorme also offers Afghanistan maps with the military SE GPS. With either one, if he can identify the site on the GPS map, just select it and the GPS will navigate to it. The backtrack feature is useful in getting back to the start point. I am former military a long time ago. Map and compass is still important, but these new devices would have made my life a lot easier. Best of luck whatever you choose and thanks for your service.