Geocaching in the World of Warcraft Realms

neco_cachero

It is a Sunday afternoon and we are home because we can't go outside to find caches. Lots of snow has recently melted making a big muddy mess everywhere. On top of that we have a constant drizzle for the entire weekend. Alternative... she is playing World of Warcraft and I am running and making PQs for my next trip to Florida.

Anyways watching her play World of Warcraft I thought... how about integrating both geocaching and World of Warcraft (W.O.W.)?

WOW features lots of virtual worlds with lots of geographic features like mountains, caves, rivers, islands, glaziers, canyons, cities, towns, villages, large forests, buildings, ruins, roads, and so on... All places that we as geocachers go out to find caches.

For those who know about it would not be nice to have an option to find and hide caches in the World of Warcraft?

It might imply that both companies sign a huge deal and lots and lots of development but I will pay a membership for it.

Any ideas?

neco_cachero

Come on, Sherman! Let's hop in the wayback machine, I've got a story to tell you.

Back in 2002, a geocacher named hex wrote a Swedish geocaching simulation program. It was tied to an actual traditional cache, Änglamarken. The program itself was harmless, but when hex started allowing people who had only found the online version of the cache to log a find on the geocaching listing, the powers that be were les than pleased.

b48c07f4-b107-4dce-948d-0883c77a4549.jpg

It was a pretty frequently abused armchair cache, and unsurprisingly, it was archived. And then people kept logging it anyway, and the listing was locked.

On 3/10/2013 at 9:26 PM, neco_cachero said:

It is a Sunday afternoon and we are home because we can't go outside to find caches. Lots of snow has recently melted making a big muddy mess everywhere. On top of that we have a constant drizzle for the entire weekend. Alternative... she is playing World of Warcraft and I am running and making PQs for my next trip to Florida.

Anyways watching her play World of Warcraft I thought... how about integrating both geocaching and World of Warcraft (W.O.W.)?

WOW features lots of virtual worlds with lots of geographic features like mountains, caves, rivers, islands, glaziers, canyons, cities, towns, villages, large forests, buildings, ruins, roads, and so on... All places that we as geocachers go out to find caches.

For those who know about it would not be nice to have an option to find and hide caches in the World of Warcraft?

It might imply that both companies sign a huge deal and lots and lots of development but I will pay a membership for it.

Any ideas?

neco_cachero

I know how it feels.

There were always chest in WoW game hidden somewhere.

Do you remember Warlords of Draenor expansion from 2014?

First I seen this expansion I though "geocacher must be there hiding all those secret chests". Later in Legion was similar situation, but not so much fun.

Anyway it was a great fun climbing those unclimbable trees in Draenor ;)

• Funny 1