When NOT to discover travel bugs/geocoins

scottmcblane

Hey everyone,

So recently I have been going through instagram and looking at all the photos that have #geocaching in them. In some of the photos are the trackable codes for travel bugs/geocoins and I was wondering if you think it is wrong to log these ones as discovered. Thanks :)

- scottmcb

I wouldn't, and I don't think Virtual logging is allowed.

The only time I've ever logged a trackable not in my hands occurred when a friend was written up in a local newspaper & he was wearing his trackable hat! All his caching buddies logged it so we could congratulate him on his minutes of fame.

Edited by scrapcat

In ye olde dayes of geocaching (i.e. more than two years ago) it used to be (almost) carved in stone "Thou shalt not log virtual discoveries on trackable items" - If one hadn't seen the item In Real Life then one didn't log it. Groundspeak took a dim view of virtual logging and they would sometimes lock a trackable if it was obviously being logged virtually.

Over the last couple of years with the explosion of dozens of geocaching groups on social networking sites it's become more difficult to police the sharing of trackable codes - I see it happen quite often on facebook and (apparently) there's a site on there somewhere which is set up especially for cachers to share trackable codes.

Some months back somebody posted in this forum that they'd met one of the US reviewers at an event and they had been told that Groundspeak had relaxed their outlook on this matter and they (Groundspeak) now considered it OK if the owner of a trackable wants to share their own trackable numbers virtually.*

You should not share the trackable numbers of items belonging to other cachers - Personally, I don't want virtual discoveries on my own trackables and will delete them whenever I notice them.

MrsB :)

*I wonder whether Eartha could give us some guidance on this? Does this sum up Groundspeak's current stance on virtual logging?

The "report this post" feature should not be abused in order to invite a moderator's participation in a discussion. Please reserve this tool for reporting violations of the forum guidelines. Thank you.

My apologies.

I was simply hoping for some official clarification on this point.

For years some of the regulars in this forum have been trying to give good guidance to cachers regarding the whole issue of "virtual logging" but recently I've been aware of some confusion on this matter. I am no longer sure exactly what advice to give when this matter comes up (as it does, quite regularly). It would be helpful to have some updated input from someone official so we know that we're still giving good and accurate advice and/or suggestions.

MrsB

Is there someplace where it is actually written in black and white on whether this is ok or not? My cacher friend and I are arguing about this... I say that you can "discover" it if you see it online because you are seeing it but I wouldn't do anything else. I would like to see the answer with the links/ source info that was I know whether I am following the rules or not. :)

The point of discovering a trackable is to let the owner and trackable seekers know it is safe in the cache it was supposedly placed (If you aren't moving it). A virtual log seems like it would defeat the purpose.

The point of discovering is to get a stat and an icon.

This is true. Discovering trackables came about as an easier way to retrieve and drop a TB/Coin into the same cache for the purpose of getting that stat and icon. It also came in handy when viewing and logging someone's geocoin collection.

But I do not think discovering a trackable was meant to be used on online pictures that show the tracking number.

Is there someplace where it is actually written in black and white on whether this is ok or not? My cacher friend and I are arguing about this... I say that you can "discover" it if you see it online because you are seeing it but I wouldn't do anything else. I would like to see the answer with the links/ source info that was I know whether I am following the rules or not. :)

Travel Bugs are placed in order to watch them travel. Many people inisist that such logs are proof that the TB is still in play. When you make a log based on seeing a number only, what do you write about its travels?

Will you at least do the courtesy of stating in the "Discover" log where you saw the number? Some Trackable Owners watched their TB taken months ago, and now they see your “Discover” log. It would be good to specify that you didn't “Discover” the TB, but that you're just typing numbers.

Edited by kunarion