Found a trackable tag but the item itself is gone

RusticOvertoneJD

So I was out caching today and I came across a cache that had a trackable dog tag but with nothing attached it it. I thought at first that maybe it was unregistered and that I could trade it like an item and make it my own but when i got home to my computer i realized that it has been traveling for a year and a half or so, attached to an item, but the item is just missing now. What is the proper thing to do here, do i just keep the tag moving, do I attach it to something else and send it on it's way, does the trackable just go to trackable purgatory, never to be seen from again? I appreciate the help in advance, thanks!!

--Justin

So I was out caching today and I came across a cache that had a trackable dog tag but with nothing attached it it. I thought at first that maybe it was unregistered and that I could trade it like an item and make it my own but when i got home to my computer i realized that it has been traveling for a year and a half or so, attached to an item, but the item is just missing now. What is the proper thing to do here, do i just keep the tag moving, do I attach it to something else and send it on it's way, does the trackable just go to trackable purgatory, never to be seen from again? I appreciate the help in advance, thanks!!

--Justin

Keep it moving. But a note and photo might be good (never show the Tracking Number in a photo). If you contact the Trackable Owner and they request adding something, you may. Otherwise, it's traveling as a tag only.

I'd email the TB owner and see what he wants to do. It happened to me once and the owner mailed me another item to attach to it. If the owner didn't reply or appeared to have left the game then I'd try to attach something similar to what was originally attached and send it on its way.

--Justin

I would create a whole new tag and tie it to a traveler and re-release it. Screw the owner.

I'd email the TB owner and see what he wants to do. It happened to me once and the owner mailed me another item to attach to it. If the owner didn't reply or appeared to have left the game then I'd try to attach something similar to what was originally attached and send it on its way.

...and make a TB log about what you did.

attatch some random item

Is this a common practice? That would explain how one of my coin tags accrued a keychain surfboard (no log about it). At that time, the description even specifically said that the tag is traveling by itself, nothing attached.

So cachers feel free to attach "random" things, then they feel free to take the whole thing and keep it forever (surfboard and tag are long gone now. Thanks a lot! :rolleyes:). That's a good deal for cachers other than Trackable Owners.

Edited by kunarion

attatch some random item

Is this a common practice? That would explain how one of my coin tags accrued a keychain surfboard (no log about it). At that time, the description even specifically said that the tag is traveling by itself, nothing attached.

So cachers feel free to attach "random" things, then they feel free to take the whole thing and keep it forever (surfboard and tag are long gone now. Thanks a lot! :rolleyes:). That's a good deal for cachers other than Trackable Owners.

Some people can't read I have come across a few bugs where they show me its supposed to be Winnie the pooh and its bugs bunny or a skateboard weirdd

--Justin

The owner is active, they logged on yesterday. They speak German. The goal of this TB translates (via Google) to:

hohoho, I'm the red pirate ...

I was junior Spock sent out into the world to race in the sibling

to travel faster and further than the small TB thunder from his sister Spocklienchen

I beg you take me with you let me go on the 7 seas ...

When I came on 24.12.2012 further than TB of Spocklienchen I get your dessert

So, it's in a race. I would drop it off as is, as soon as possible, and try to move it towards its goal. You could try using an online translator and ask them if they want you too attach something to it. The items that were on there looked breakable, and probably fell off along the way. But it is in a race, and should keep moving without further delay. Although, I think the race was over on 12/24/12, and the sister may have eaten her brother's dessert already. I did not look up her TB to see where it is.

--Justin

I would create a whole new tag and tie it to a traveler and re-release it. Screw the owner.

That isn't your usual sage advice. :blink:

In fact, who's supporting this or not? The regular posters?

If gc.com isn't going to even casually address things like lost TBs or Virtual logging, why should I bother myself with having an opinion one way or the other? And who cares if I do?

Tell me so I'm not violating guidelines.