Safe to find cache?

scnwoo16

How do you know if it's okay to wander into an area. I recently set out to find a geocache and It appeared to maybe be through a school playground or on the other side of the fence which was a very rural areas with houses. So, how do you know if it's okay? I also found an other site that appeared as if I had to walk onto a golf coarse....

Edited by scnwoo16

Oftentimes if it looks like the path to the cache is through some ridiculous terrain, or across a property or some other physical barrier, there's probably a better way to get there. Back up and check the map for another route. I can't tell you how many times I've bushwhacked through briars, tall grass, and brush only to reach the cache and spot the trail from the other direction that leads right to it 😏

If you're worried about whether you should go into an area, then just don't and go find some other cache. You don't have to look for every one. If there's a real problem with where it's hidden, the cache should disappear soon, anyway.

If you're curious, you can read over the logs and see if other people are having the same reaction. That's also a good way to discover that you're just coming at it the wrong way, as Chief301 suggests. And one variation on "coming at it the wrong way" is that the coordinates are off, and the cache is really on the other side of that fence in the nice park that you didn't notice.

If it feels wrong to me, it is wrong for me. I simply walk away. There are plenty of other caches out there.

But just because it feels wrong to me doesn't mean it is necessarily wrong. There may be a different approach that I'm not aware of. The neighbors may know about the cache. There many be numerous reasons why the cache might be just fine but I may still be uncomfortable hunting it, so I don't.

Oftentimes if it looks like the path to the cache is through some ridiculous terrain, or across a property or some other physical barrier, there's probably a better way to get there. Back up and check the map for another route. I can't tell you how many times I've bushwhacked through briars, tall grass, and brush only to reach the cache and spot the trail from the other direction that leads right to it 😏

+1

You definitely need to use your own judgement. These days people put caches anywhere and approvers can't possibly know all of the legal aspects of a cache hide. If it doesn't feel right to you, do more research on the location before heading in blindly hoping the hider knew what they were doing. Before long you will get to know who in your area knows how to hide a cache and who doesn't. There are plenty of signs on public property that welcome folks, like a trailhead kiosk or simply a trail blaze on a tree. Be wary of any woods that have nothing posted. Just because there are no, no trespassing signs doesn't necessarily mean it's legal to be there.

You definitely need to use your own judgement. These days people put caches anywhere and approvers can't possibly know all of the legal aspects of a cache hide. If it doesn't feel right to you, do more research on the location before heading in blindly hoping the hider knew what they were doing. Before long you will get to know who in your area knows how to hide a cache and who doesn't. There are plenty of signs on public property that welcome folks, like a trailhead kiosk or simply a trail blaze on a tree. Be wary of any woods that have nothing posted. Just because there are no, no trespassing signs doesn't necessarily mean it's legal to be there.

If it's not marked private property or no trespassing, sure maybe you still shouldn't be there, but the police can't do anything but tell you to leave. Although you could still get shot by the property owner lol

the police can't do anything but tell you to leave

I've been to remote places that seem fine but are monitored by police due to being drug hangouts. It's good that the police are around, since a young caching family may otherwise surprise a less-than-legal group someday. But I do not consider being questioned for half an hour and having all my info checked and logged, having to explain what I'm doing there, being “nothing the police can do”. In that situation, I'm one or two more stops away from the police doing something. I'd rather avoid having the “doing nothing” stops, since I'm a police attractant. Yesterday, I parked at a pull-off of a road in a county park to check out a little forested area, and literally two minutes later, a sheriff was running my car tag. I don't know how you criminal types get away with it all the time. Wish I could.

.... or on the other side of the fence which was a very rural areas with houses....

If there is a fence to cross - it likely means I am going at it the wrong way or that somebody doesn't want me in there. So find the other way or walk away unless the cache page has some rather explicit permission instructions.

Just as a side note - your definition of very rural doesn't mesh with mine if you see some houses. :blink: See my video below....

How do you know if it's okay to wander into an area. I recently set out to find a geocache and It appeared to maybe be through a school playground or on the other side of the fence which was a very rural areas with houses. So, how do you know if it's okay? I also found an other site that appeared as if I had to walk onto a golf coarse....

This doesn't ever go away. I find reading the previous logs helps in getting a feel of whether or not I want to make the approach. If I haven't done that and am just driving around I go with my gut feeling. Not comfortable? I move on.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've found caches where the point of the cache is the challenge of finding a safe and legal way to access the cache location. And many caches involve rock climbing, boating, backpacking, hiking, driving, and other activities with inherent risks.

As others have said, if you aren't comfortable with the challenges involved in finding a cache, then move on and do something else.