Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Off Grid

Contact from cache site

G'day, just a thought, but an idea for a "Amateur radio cache" would be, have one up a local mountain with a dipole already strung up (cut for 20?) finding the cache would also find the coax cable, connect and make a contact from the cache to log it as found.

Good idea for QRP and back pack hams. (IMHO)

I bet this in not within the "Rules" but (could be) :-)

Cheer's Glen VE7SDX

G'day, just a thought, but an idea for a "Amateur radio cache" would be, have one up a local mountain with a dipole already strung up (cut for 20?) finding the cache would also find the coax cable, connect and make a contact from the cache to log it as found.

Cheer's Glen VE7SDX

If the cache page specifies the connection, and it's a common type (so people don't have to use only one model of radio), it should be within the guidelines. I don't know how many people will trust a “coax” they find on a mountain -- just plug in and see if it works? I think most people would rather transmit on whatever antenna they currently use.

But congratulations on adding grammar and punctuation to your post! That makes it possible to read. :anicute:

Summits On The Air (SOTA) http://www.sota.org.uk/

Summits on the Air (SOTA) is an award scheme for radio amateurs and shortwave listeners that encourages portable operation in mountainous areas. SOTA has been carefully designed to make participation possible for everyone - this is not just for mountaineers! There are awards for activators (those who ascend to the summits) and chasers (who either operate from home, a local hilltop or are even Activators on other summits).

Some SOTA members are cachers.

Some cachers are radio hams.

Often a cache near the summit of hills/mountains.

There are often notes in nearby caches that a SOTA member found the cache.

Cheer's Glen VE7SDX

You must be the more mature member of this team.... I do like the idea-I'm not licensed so I lurk these parts occasionally...Anyway what I've bolded is against rules. As I read it, you require the cacher to make contact to log a find. That would be Additional Logging Requirements(ALR's) which are not allowed. All that you have to require is the caches sign the logbook.

I D

Cheer's Glen VE7SDX

You must be the more mature member of this team.... I do like the idea-I'm not licensed so I lurk these parts occasionally...Anyway what I've bolded is against rules. As I read it, you require the cacher to make contact to log a find. That would be Additional Logging Requirements(ALR's) which are not allowed. All that you have to require is the caches sign the logbook.

I D

Good catch. So that would have to be more like a mystery cache. Set up communication to somehow allow the log to be signed -- to unlock the container or provide an important clue.