Downloading Geocache Data to my Device

Henry_Mueller

I'm new to geocaching. I received a Magellan eXplorist GC device as a present. I have tried numerous time to download data to the device by connecting to my PC, but nothing happens... I get the "Connected to a PC" screen that will stay there for hours and nothing happens. There is a list of caches on my device when I "search for caches nearby" that are 80, 90, 100 miles away and the dates they were last accessed appear to be sometime around 2010??? I have agreed to the "Groundwork" terms of agreement, registered as a premium member on geocaching.com...

I got this device so I wouldn't have to use my iPhone to geocache, but I am finding this device absolutely useless so far! I went out with it yesterday and ending up turning it off and using my iPhone ANYWAY!!!

Does anyone have any advice on how to sync the device to my account/PC so I can get current cache information downloaded to my handheld eXplorist device? Thank you for your help.

The reason you are seeing caches so far away that "have been accessed" around 2010, is that they are preloaded by Magellan. Nothing short of a sales gimmick best described as a joke. Did you miss the "Pre-Loaded with the Most Popular Geocaches in the World" sales pitch?

If you have not done it yet, download the (free) manual here: http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=125&nav=0,18,24,62

As you probably won't go after those caches, you don't need them. If nothing else, this will free up memory for your unit.

Pay attention to page 16 and learn those icons.

Page 26 gives you step-by-step method of clearing the memory.

Page 30, step-by-step using "Send to GPS" loading method.

Page 31, step-by-step "drag 'n drop" method of loading a Pocket Query to the unit.

You also should learn to use Pocket Queries, perhaps the most sought-after Premium Feature. Locate "Build Pocket Queries" on the right side of your geocaching.com Profile Page. This is a good tutorial: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm , as is this one from the U.K: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/paperless.html#showmehow

Once you have this stuff down, it will seem as easy as pie.

Good Luck, and enjoy!

I've also written a review of the Magellan GC (as well as the 710) which goes through the features they offer relating to geocaching. These are on my resource site www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website