Can I get accurate cords from iPhone

Hi all

New to geocacheing and have found 4 so far. Would like to hide one soon but was wondering if I can get accurate gps location from iPhone so people won't be looking in the wrong place?is there any apps for this or will I need to invest in a handheld GPS unit?

Many thanks

Tim

If you ensure you have actual satellite lock when taking the coordinates - they are likely to be nearly as good as from a dedicated gps device. Problem with smartphones is that at times, people happen to read out locations from smartphones that were not calculated from a GPS signal in the first place (could instead be cell towers, WLAN positioning, etc.)

What model of iPhone do you have? Older ones didn't have very accurate GPS, but everything from around 3GS and later is not bad.

Now, someone will be along shortly to tell you to never, NEVER hide a cache with a smartphone. That was good advice a few years ago, but not so true today. I hid my first cache with an iPhone 4 and have had no complaints about the accuracy of my coordinates.

I think many complaints about the accuracy of smartphone hides stem from the fact that cachers who are just starting out (and therefore have only the smartphone and not a handheld GPS) don't know how to get accurate coordinates. They just mark a waypoint and use those coordinates. This is not how you want to do it if you want accurate coordinates.

To get accuracy you need to take several readings (at least 3 or 4) and average the results. Readings should preferably be taken on a couple of different days and at different times of day. Let the device sit for a couple of minutes at the site to settle down before marking the reading. Once you have a good, averaged set of coordinates, go away from GZ and navigate back to the site using your coordinates to see if they bring you right to it.

I use an app called Perfect Mark (free) which will do the tedious work of averaging a reading for you.

Most bad coordinates are the fault of careless or inexperienced hiders, not the equipment. If you take reasonable care and use the techniques above, you should be able to get an accurate placement even with an iPhone.

Hi all

New to geocacheing and have found 4 so far. Would like to hide one soon but was wondering if I can get accurate gps location from iPhone so people won't be looking in the wrong place?is there any apps for this or will I need to invest in a handheld GPS unit?

Many thanks

Tim

The answer is, "that depends". First variable is *which* iPhone do you have? The iPhone 3GS and lower has much worse GPS capability than the 4 and later. The 4S and the 5 are actually pretty decent.

An app like MotionX GPS or Perfect Mark are helpful. I like the second one because it does waypoint averaging. You'll need to spend some quality time there, before even taking the waypoint fire up the Maps app and let the location settle down - the "error circle" should go away before you even start taking a reading. Once it's showing a reasonable location on the Maps app, fire up Perfect Mark and let it average for a while. You may want to come back a couple times (90 minutes apart at least) to confirm the co-ords are averaging about the same, particularly if you are in an area with trees, buildings or sharp landscape features like a cliff or canyon.

The dedicated GPS makes this process easier but it is technically possible with a 3 year old or less iPhone. Most of the complaints about iPhone / Smartphone co-ordinates being off are generated by people who didn't take the time to let the GPS settle down before taking a reading. Dedicated GPS units have a better chance as they've been on with a sat lock since you left the car whereas most people fire up the smartphone when they're ready to hide and fail to take the time to let a good lock settle.

The real problem with creating hides early in a "caching career", is that a new"er" user (be it phone or GPSr), has not yet had the experience with using the device. Many seem to be in far too great of a rush to get the coordinates, and get the cache listed.

While I do not specifically care for phone hides, I have made enough finds on such to know that it CAN be done. It all comes down to the user, not just the device.

Take your time, get GOOD readings, and don't rush anything.

EDIT: to/too/two

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Another alternative is to place it in a very obvious location (i.e. the ONLY tree in a field) or at a specific bench you can see on a map. State that you had problems with accuracy and take the next few finders coordinate readings to update your cache location.

Not ideal, but I have seen it work. You just really have to explain well where the cache is using your notes/hints.

Shaun

If you are hiding a cache in an open area, you can double check your coord's with Google Maps or Google Earth. I use a Garmin 60Csx, a pretty accurate unit, but I still double check with one of the above map sites when I can. Once I hid a cache at the corner of a building, then used the averaging function of the GPSr to take about 50 readings. I went home and checked the coords on Google Earth to find I was about 30 feet off. Why? I dunno. A bad satellite day or a solar flare or something. Anyway, I went back, did the same process over and came back with dead-accurate readings.

Now if you have something hidden in the woods, forget about the above!

I went home and checked the coords on Google Earth to find I was about 30 feet off. Why? I dunno.

Google Earth is commonly off by 30 feet, sometimes hundreds of feet for a number of reasons.

I like and use Google Earth and have maybe 10+ years experience with it. It's pretty good within the limits of the technology.

Edited by coggins

It is a violation of Groundspeak Terms and Conditions to place Geocaches and not use a GPS device to retrieve coordinates.

Those who promote such behavior are only doing themselves, others, and the entire Geocaching community a disservice.

Please read this post, and then review the entire thread.

I am with BMW Jedi on this one. I manage a trail map project and I can tell you Google Maps/Earth should not be considered an accurate way to place a cache or confirm coordinates. I have seen it out by 100M in places and there really is no substitute for taking actual coordinates at the hide location. Remember coords that are out by 100M could lead cache seekers to a place they are not welcome like a neighbouring property. This does not promote good will for our game.

Use your iPhone's GPS as mentioned above or another discreet GPS unit and disregard the use Google/Bing/Mapquest methods

I went home and checked the coords on Google Earth to find I was about 30 feet off. Why? I dunno.

Google Earth is commonly off by 30 feet, sometimes hundreds of feet for a number of reasons.

I like and use Google Earth and have maybe 10+ years experience with it. It's pretty good within the limits of the technology.

Coggins: I agree with what you said and have occasionally experienced Google Earth being inaccurate, too. In the case I mentioned, however, GC3CQVG, it was definitely a GPS anomaly. Google Earth was accurate, and the Garmin matched it exactly when I went back to check the next day. Since then, cachers have commented that the coord's are dead on. I'll continue to use Google Earth to double check my new cache coord's if they are out in the open.

Coggins: I agree with what you said and have occasionally experienced Google Earth being inaccurate, too. In the case I mentioned, however, GC3CQVG, it was definitely a GPS anomaly. Google Earth was accurate, and the Garmin matched it exactly when I went back to check the next day. Since then, cachers have commented that the coord's are dead on. I'll continue to use Google Earth to double check my new cache coord's if they are out in the open.

The problem comes in determining which parts of Google Maps are accurate.

It's all fine and dandy to say "I made this waypoint and it was fine", but that does not guarantee the next map tile you reference with will be accurate.

You're far better off to just take multiple readings at different times to ward off the "satellite anomalies". Granted the problem is reduced when it's hidden in the one tree that 1.6 miles from the nearest object, I will give you that.

When we first started.... We were using the iphone 4 to find caches. We had the APP 'Perfect Mark' to allow us to average waypoints & such.

However.... knowing how 'jumpy' and 'unsettling' the phones can be while seeking geocaches, we knew that trying to find exact coordinates for hiding one would/could be nearly impossible. We were also using a Garmin Nuvi to help us 'verify' the accuracy of the phone. The Nuvi was more friendly & less jumpy. I think our first & 2nd hides were done with phone/Nuvi. We did countless trips and took countless readings/samples with the phone & Nuvi. It wasn't until we kept getting the same/similar coordinates on our samples for each run that we were 'happy' with the results.

You can use the phone.....but....have a backup method to verify your results. Go back multiple times/days. Let the phone sit in one spot for 5 minutes to allow it to settle. Once your coordinates fall within a very small window of accuracy....you should be close.

Once you publish a cache using the phone - you'll know almost immediately via the log comments from cache finders if your coordinates are off. And worse case scenario...you won't have any finders because the coords are too far off.

You don't want DNF's due to coordinates. You want DNF's because your containers are soooooooooooo creative and camo'd. :anitongue:

Edited by Lieblweb

Putting trust in Google maps is akin to trusting a thief with your life savings!

Maybe they will.... maybe they won't......

The real problem with creating hides early in a "caching career", is that a new"er" user (be it phone or GPSr), has not yet had the experience with using the device. Many seem to be in far too great of a rush to get the coordinates, and get the cache listed.

While I do not specifically care for phone hides, I have made enough finds on such to know that it CAN be done. It all comes down to the user, not just the device.

Take your time, get GOOD readings, and don't rush anything.

EDIT: to/too/two

Along the same lines, I'd recommend waiting a couple of months (your profile indicates you've been a member for 5 days). The first 2 months are the honeymoon phase. Too often new cachers get excited about the game, plant a cache, then abandon the listing and container within weeks (sometimes as soon as it's posted).

Spend 2 months finding a variety of caches, reading the guidelines and Habits of a Good Geocache Owner , learning how to average coordinates, scouting out a great location, buying quality supplies - durable watertight container, spray paint or camo tape for camouflage, a few inexpensive nice trinkets for the cache, a logbook.

I am defo not gonna rush it I've just taken the plunge and bought a GPS unit too so hopefully won't get bored quickly. Once I create my new cache I have no doubt ill be asking for more advice though. :0)

A wise friend of mine once told me - hide caches that you would like to find.

Take some time, and seek out the caches with high favourite points - those are typically what you'll want to imitate on your first few hides and the local cachers will love you for it.

Particularly on your first couple hides I cannot emphasize enough that you should take several readings over a day or two and compare them to be sure you don't have a bad GPS reading from things like poor weather, wet leaves, bad satellite constellation at that particular time, etc. You really, REALLY want to get those coords bang on if you are building a multi - nothing like putting a few hours creative work into a redirect to find out you have to redo it later.