Nanaimo and area (Parksville/Coombs).

CacheHownds

We're planning a trip to Nanaimo around Easter to see some family, and take some of the Geocaching for the first time. Now i like collecting smileys as much as the next guy, but if were going to be i the area, I'd rather do some "must do" geocaches and have quality over quantity.

Also would appreciate some recommendations for some good beginner caches to take the other family along too. Heard there's a good collection on Bowen park?

Also, has anyone done the caches on Protection Island? I get the impression that part of it is Pirate themed, which my kid would love. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Oh, any recommendations too for must do caches travelling to Nanaimo? We're going to be travelling from and to Kelowna. Othello Tunnels are already on the list for places to stop.

Thanks for any replies!

We're planning a trip to Nanaimo around Easter to see some family, and take some of the Geocaching for the first time. Now i like collecting smileys as much as the next guy, but if were going to be i the area, I'd rather do some "must do" geocaches and have quality over quantity.

Also would appreciate some recommendations for some good beginner caches to take the other family along too. Heard there's a good collection on Bowen park?

Also, has anyone done the caches on Protection Island? I get the impression that part of it is Pirate themed, which my kid would love. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Oh, any recommendations too for must do caches travelling to Nanaimo? We're going to be travelling from and to Kelowna. Othello Tunnels are already on the list for places to stop.

Thanks for any replies!

Like you mentioned, Bowen Park is a nice place to find some cool caches.

Further North in Nanaimo there are also some nice caches along the coast(Neck Point Park for example, has lots), most caches hidden by bigbluemarble have lots of swag in them (great for kids).

Protection island is a nice day trip to a quiet island.(ferry schedule)

If you're up in the Parksville/Qualicum area, GC2Y8Q8 is a must, great cache!

If you're up in the Parksville/Qualicum area, GC2Y8Q8 is a must, great cache!

We really want to do that one, but not sure how our timing to the Island is going to work out. We'll be there for a Friday, but with it being Good Friday, we suspect it might be not available.

How hard it is to get around Newcastle Island and about how long would it take? Never been there, so just curious.

Just some general information. When you do a search for caches, you can search from a certain postal code and then sort by favorite points. For example, this is a 30km radius centered around Nanaimo. Click on the blue ribbon to sort by favorite points.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=49.19442&lng=-123.99387&dist=18.75&sortdir=desc&sort=fav

Edited by The_Incredibles_