Is this against the rules or just evil?

BAIN!

I don't really feel like going back through the rules and I trust the judgement of you guys that have memorized the rules...

The wife and I are thinking of hiding a mirco we've been holding onto for about a year. At the local Starbucks they have a metal overhang at the drive thru... Would it be against the rules or just plain mean to hide the micro under the overhang in the drive thru. The cacher would have to go through the drive thru to get it or wait until they close.

What do you guys think?

In addition to the permission angle, please bear in mind that the Commercial Caches guideline prohibits caches that require entering a business or interacting with employees. While one can debate whether driving through the drive-thru constitutes "entering a business," it would clearly involve "interacting with employees."

It is against the rules to place a geocache on private property without permission. Do you have permission to put a micro on Starbucks drive thru overhang?

^This.

Be sure to get permission, and make a clear explanation to your Reviewer if you decide to submit that cache. They'll really like it if you do your homework and have a contact person's name, and documentation that you can place the cache on the overhang.

Could one get the cache without using the drivethrough for a purchase? That's the other key. You can't have a cache where it requires you to patronize a business.

We may just go with the second idea of putting it on top of a shopping cart return in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store. Neither one of us really like hiding or finding micros but it was given as a gift, so just trying to find a spot for it.

We may just go with the second idea of putting it on top of a shopping cart return in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store. Neither one of us really like hiding or finding micros but it was given as a gift, so just trying to find a spot for it.

Good deal...but the same rules apply. Be sure to obtain and document your permissions for private property hides.

Your second option sounds much better in my opinion.

The problem with placing it in the overhang is that people are going to be uncomfortable nine times out of ten when they see where your cache is. Now part of the game is doing really weird things in public, but that's a little too extreme for most. So already you're cutting down on people who are potentially interested. Plus, there are birds, wasps, etc that hang out in those overhead things.

I like when people go out of their way to make micros special (like you'd be doing here), but sometimes they're a little too extreme.

Best of luck though, tell us what you decide to do!

I'm not sure that receiving a nano as a gift is the right reason for making it into a cache. As they say, place the caches that you yourself like to find. You could still use the container to house the log, but perhaps installing it into a larger container in a better place would be an option. Or, you could re-gift it. Place it in a little baggie with a card inside that says: Our gift to you - Love BAIN! It will make somebody's day! :D

I'm not sure that receiving a nano as a gift is the right reason for making it into a cache. As they say, place the caches that you yourself like to find. You could still use the container to house the log, but perhaps installing it into a larger container in a better place would be an option. Or, you could re-gift it. Place it in a little baggie with a card inside that says: Our gift to you - Love BAIN! It will make somebody's day! :D

Agree. A few years ago I grabbed a nano that was the FTF prize but didn't wan to just slap it on a piece of metal in a parking lot or street corner just because I had it and didn't really see someplace that I wanted to hide until I eventually lost it.

Is there a nice metal park bench someplace with a great view? Hide the nano on that and include the kind of hint that you'd appreciate if you had to find the thing. :anicute:

I also like the re-gifting suggestion. Nanos tend to need higher maintenance than most containers.

Edited by kunarion

I may go the way of the re-gift. Honestly, the town I live in is pretty small and the parks that my family and I like to frequent already are saturated with caches. If I don't do the regift, I may ask the owners of a local "historic" hotdog stand. They are pretty nice people and it would bring business (possibly) and let people see one of the oldest businesses in town.

Is there a nice metal park bench someplace with a great view? Hide the nano on that and include the kind of hint that you'd appreciate if you had to find the thing. :anicute:.

The other place I've enjoyed finding nanos is on public art metal sculptures

I may go the way of the re-gift. Honestly, the town I live in is pretty small and the parks that my family and I like to frequent already are saturated with caches. If I don't do the regift, I may ask the owners of a local "historic" hotdog stand. They are pretty nice people and it would bring business (possibly) and let people see one of the oldest businesses in town.

I don't like nano caches unless they take me someplace interesting and the location won't support something larger. I took a quick look at the area where you have already hidden caches. If you really want to place the thing (I would not but to each their own) maybe you could find a spot at Fleming Stadium?

That stadium is totally fenced in, but there is a little league stadium that is accessible 24/7 at another park (Gillette Field). That is another option I hadn't thought of and I have told my wife that park deserved a cache.

That sounds better than the previous two ideas.

Ever think of "re-gifting" instead?! ;)

I found one similar. It was on a drive thru menu board. Its evil, and right out where everybody can see you!!... but they got full permission to place it there. They are closed on sunday, so most cachers go on that day.

About shopping cart return station, I found one that was really evil, it was inside the tube that you have to pull apart to get to it. Since I used to be a welder, I knew how it was build and found it within 2 mins. For most people, it took them a couple trips to find it. It wasnt a good cache because too many cachers was hanging around too long and that alone cause problem. It got archived.

You know, if you don't ask here in the forums, and place that nano in either one of those spots, it gets published without question, and an endless parade of smiley seekers show up looking for it.

I for one though, am glad you asked in the forums. :P

In addition to the permission angle, please bear in mind that the Commercial Caches guideline prohibits caches that require entering a business or interacting with employees.

With one very notable exception: areas that require an entry fee. There is even an attribute for that, and indeed in my area there are three caches within a single theme park that requires you to pay a fee to get in.

In addition to the permission angle, please bear in mind that the Commercial Caches guideline prohibits caches that require entering a business or interacting with employees.

With one very notable exception: areas that require an entry fee. There is even an attribute for that, and indeed in my area there are three caches within a single theme park that requires you to pay a fee to get in.

I thought the entry fee exception was for non-profit things like state parks.

A better idea would be to make that nano into an underwater cache, and keep it unlisted. Just think, it would never need any maintenance. :)

I don't really feel like going back through the rules and I trust the judgement of you guys that have memorized the rules...

I'm really suprised no one commented on this part of your post. If you don't feel like going back and making sure your cache is within the rules, don't hide it at all.

The formum is a good place to have people help understand rules you may be confused about. However, it shouldn't be a place to go if you just don't feel like doing the research yourself.

I'm really suprised no one commented on this part of your post. If you don't feel like going back and making sure your cache is within the rules, don't hide it at all.

The formum is a good place to have people help understand rules you may be confused about. However, it shouldn't be a place to go if you just don't feel like doing the research yourself.

are you sure i was under the impression that every one knew the rules and knew what they were doing in here because everyone so opinionated

to each there own thinking its a good place to ask about rules haha :lol:

id say ask permission they say yes go for it say it promotes them or just go find a park and put out one really good container:D dont put a nano in the woods ahhhh

A better idea would be to make that nano into an underwater cache, and keep it unlisted. Just think, it would never need any maintenance. :)

Perfect example of us needing "like" buttons in the forums.

For that they're going to need a nano-cache deployment device

TRUMARK_FS1_Slingshot.jpg

Hide your nano where ever you want. Just make sure to use the micro size. It is a micro, not a "unknown", and put Nano in your description. It will save a lot of us gas money.

You seem to have a desire to hide your cache in a high pedestrian or motor traffic area. The problem with such hides is that it only takes you about two seconds to hide it but can take forever for people to find it. This causes unwanted and un-needed attention to our activity. If you want to hide an evil cache, why not do it somewhere were people will feel comfortable spending some time looking for it?

I thought commercial retail locations were fair game because they have the burden of being publicly accessible. Otherwise I think about 25% of caches that exist need immediate archiving.

And why is it always a Starbucks. I prefer the non-pretentious stuff from Dunkin Donuts!!!!

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

I thought commercial retail locations were fair game because they have the burden of being publicly accessible.

I think the problem with the OP's original idea wasn't that it was at the Starbucks, but rather its location at the Starbucks.

If they stuck it on a bench outside the front door, it should be fine assuming they have permission and don't go on about how great Starbucks is in the description. A cacher can find it without being required to interact with the employees or purchase a product.

However, if they placed it in the drive-thru, it's "suggesting or requiring that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service", as the guidelines say. That's the part that isn't allowed.

It is against the rules to place a geocache on private property without permission. Do you have permission to put a micro on Starbucks drive thru overhang?

You don't just need permission to place one on private property; many parks and bike trails and other government-owned areas require you to have permit for them.

If you need somewhere to put it, then just go find a light pole with a liftable skirt in a multi-business parking lot.

Perfect for shooting at micro haters. :ph34r:

Perfect for shooting at micro haters. :ph34r:

OUCH :D