loc. file conversion

HenriettaHeroes

I have an intel MacBook at home, and have tried a number of different apps that claim to convert a .loc file to .gpx format, but none of them have worked for me to this point (I always get some kind of "invalid..." type of error message). Any suggestions on how to accomplish this on a Mac are appreciated.

I have an intel MacBook at home, and have tried a number of different apps that claim to convert a .loc file to .gpx format, but none of them have worked for me to this point (I always get some kind of "invalid..." type of error message). Any suggestions on how to accomplish this on a Mac are appreciated.

A .loc file can be transformed into a gpx file but it's not going to really buy you anything. Loc files only contain very basic information such as a label and lat/long coordinates, while a gpx file contains many more fields such as the description, and with the Groundspeak extensions has all of the data you might want related to a geocache, such as the cache type, size, d/t ratings, recent logs, and so on. Since not of that is included in a loc file, there's really no point in converting.

Agree with the previous posts. It makes little sense to do this. Unless of course, we are missing something and you have a very specific reason for wanting to do it.

Just seems like a lot of work for naught when Pocket Queries provide you with GPX files that contain pretty much all the info that you can use.

Why play games when it is readily available?

Agree with the previous posts. It makes little sense to do this. Unless of course, we are missing something and you have a very specific reason for wanting to do it.

Just seems like a lot of work for naught when Pocket Queries provide you with GPX files that contain pretty much all the info that you can use.

Why play games when it is readily available?

+1

But if you really want to, have you tried GPS Visualiser?

What are you trying to do/What do you hope to achieve?

loc files have very little information in them, and most GPS's can read the files anyway.

There are some orienteering caches in our area, and the WP's are in an loc. format that for whatever reason are not readable by my GPS.

Remembering that there really are other uses for GPSes and LOC files....

If the files are not readable by your GPS, that would suggest there's something wrong with the LOC files themselves. May I guess that you use a Garmin? Either BaseCamp or MapSource should easily open the LOCs and convert them to GPX. But then again, so should your GPS. The GPS Visualizer link should work as well. If none of these can open the files...very well might be bad files.

There are some orienteering caches in our area, and the WP's are in an loc. format that for whatever reason are not readable by my GPS.

Where are these caches listed?

If they are here on geocaching.com, then you just need to download them a different way. Instead of checking the box on the list page, and clicking download, you need to go to the individual cache pages and download the GPX files, or maybe even use "Send to GPS" if your GPS is supported.

What are you trying to do/What do you hope to achieve?

loc files have very little information in them, and most GPS's can read the files anyway.

What GPS are you using?

The files may be there, but not where you are looking for them.

Garmin will not show items if they are over 50 miles away, if you search for 'Nearest' on the unit...

Garmin will not show items if they are over 50 miles away, if you search for 'Nearest' on the unit...

This is not true, at least on the newer Garmins.

This keeps popping up in the forums so I tried it on my eTrex 20 the last time I did a file cleanup on the GPS. I downloaded and installed caches that were >2000 miles away. They were the only caches on the unit and all appeared on the e20 as soon as I went to the caches menu item.

I know this thread is talking about way-points and I didn't try that but will the next time I do file cleanup. It must be a problem with older Garmin GPS units but is not on the eTrex 20 and probably the eTrex 30 since in most cases they behave the same.

This is not true, at least on the newer Garmins.

This keeps popping up in the forums so I tried it on my eTrex 20 the last time I did a file cleanup on the GPS. I downloaded and installed caches that were >2000 miles away. They were the only caches on the unit and all appeared on the e20 as soon as I went to the caches menu item.

I know this thread is talking about way-points and I didn't try that but will the next time I do file cleanup. It must be a problem with older Garmin GPS units but is not on the eTrex 20 and probably the eTrex 30 since in most cases they behave the same.

Beings as how they were the only ones available, of course they will show up. It's not specific to Garmin, either. Delorme units function likewise -- although I have found it easier to access them keeping them in separate files.