Box score question

Cool Cow Cachers

I am looking for this benchmark, MARION with the box score as follows. I have found the reference mark, which is all any one has really found. When reading the box score do I follow the bearing straight down from above? In this case, the benchmark should be on a bearing of 324° 03' 00.0" from the reference mark?

8536577185_f36ee68450.jpg

The Box Score bearing would be from the actual station MARION (true north) - so you would subtract 180° to do the reverse - 144° 03' if my math is on target today ;)

- edit - looking @ Google Earth, the main stastion should be SE of the Reference Mark - maybe 5' W of a pole & across from the driveway.. see map

Edited by Ernmark

I am looking for this benchmark, MARION with the box score as follows. I have found the reference mark, which is all any one has really found. When reading the box score do I follow the bearing straight down from above? In this case, the benchmark should be on a bearing of 324° 03' 00.0" from the reference mark?

8536577185_f36ee68450.jpg

You're right that all of the finds on GC to date are actually of the Reference Mark. If it was properly installed, the arrow should point to the main station, 33.31 feet away. Boy, does this description have problems! The station is described as being 3 feet west of the rail fence, 3 feet north of the rail fence, and 3 feet east of the rail fence - all at once! Even taking magnetic declination into account, the box score azimuth does not agree with the bearing to the reference mark given in the description. Hopefully you can find this mark, (somewhat below ground level), and provide a better description for future searchers. Good Luck!

The alternate coordinates that were posted are spot on for the RM which is consistent with the bogus finds. Projecting a back bearing from the RM comes up with the coordinates listed on the webpage. All good and fine so far since the page clearly says the mark is 3" subsurface which explains why no one has actually found it yet. The real problem lies in that it seems the rock that the RM is monumented seems to have been rotated. The arrow on the disk is pointing almost due north.

The alternate coordinates that were posted are spot on for the RM which is consistent with the bogus finds. Projecting a back bearing from the RM comes up with the coordinates listed on the webpage. All good and fine so far since the page clearly says the mark is 3" subsurface which explains why no one has actually found it yet. The real problem lies in that it seems the rock that the RM is monumented seems to have been rotated. The arrow on the disk is pointing almost due north.

The most important thing is that the station has adjusted horizontal coordinates. A quick sweep with a metal detector in the 'sweet spot' should yield a hit if the mark is still pretty close to the surface..