Back in the southern (and eastern) hemisphere !

It is good to be home in Perth, Australia.

I get to take the bike out of the shed, let my nephews kick me and call me "Uncle Butt-cheeks" (amongst other things), spend time with my mother and family, and my sis-in-laws update me on everything I need to know—but what is truly great are the voyages I embark upon with Waymarking.com.

I mean—this wonderful feature of Waymarking.com—where non-standard (non-USA) waymarks have their non-standard lat and lon (east and south) swapped back to the standard (north and west), randomly. When I was in Asia, only my east latitude was swapped, but now, being both east and south, both are swapped back and forth. For example, I enter a waymark e31.xxxx and s115.xxxx, and it can go anywhere. I can find myself in San Diego, on the frozen tundra of China, even in the briny blue.

Every new waymark submitted is mystery flight. I find myself anticipating where I might find myself, then staring at a map of an unknown locale and trying to figure out where it is. Great fun. Those in the north and east might not appreciate this.

Welcome to Waymarking

It is one of the longest running bugs on the site. They thought they had it fixed but it wasn't. I found when I was entering waymarks in your part of the world if I changed the order of entry to putting in the coordinates last just before clicking the save the East and South would stick. Of course if you have to go back and make an edit to the waymark then you have to change the East to West and back to East before you save again or the site will change them for you again.

Edited by BruceS

Yep, this is the most annoying bug in the system, although the group vote hang-up bug is a close second! It doesn't happen on the Geocaching.com side though. Defaults to ones home hemisphere, I believe.

It seems so inconsistent and random. Sometimes the coords will stick. Sometimes they will flip the first time or the thrid time after edits. If it weren't for this bug, I'd probably have more waymarks posted just because of the time it takes to go back and change it again and again.