GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit

I was looking at the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit (GC42F2J) and I see a mixture of Found It and Attended Logs. So is it a cache or an event? Like life if logging from the website it is treated as an event, so I am guessing the Found It logs are coming from the mobile app. Are all events logged with the mobile app treated as a normal cache and not an event.

I consider it an event, you just sign a log book...however, it counts as its own tally...neither on the events grouping, its on its own. Its own beast.

Hoping to go to that one, because, I thought having three of them would be cool and besides, I might be in that area.

...I see a mixture of Found It and Attended Logs.

It looks to me like the API isn't set to correctly handle this cache type. When I go to log that cache event exhibit on the website, I get the following log type options:

Maze_logging.jpg

...but when I do it through the official iPhone app, I see this:

IMG_2372.PNG

I assume this is where the "Found it" logs are coming from. It looks to me like the left hand (web developers) isn't talking to the right hand (API/app developers) and therefore haven't agreed on whether these are to be treated as events or caches. Looking back through a bunch of old exhibits, it looks like this bug has been present for years. The one in Arkansas in 2009 has 180 "Attended" logs and one "Found it" log.

Never done a "needs maintenance" before on an event, that would be kinda funny in a way.

In fact, 2 of the past exhibits, which are owned by the Groundspeak account, have the Needs Maintenance attribute set!

Are they already archived. If not, I'm sure that reviewer from Ohio will get right on it. :ph34r:

Hey, You'd think I club baby seals or something. Signature of above poster. :ph34r:

Here's an "old-timer" factoid. We used to have "Found" logs for events, but at some point in time, Groundspeak came up with the "Attended" log. A little jaunt through the profile of the then most prolific event host in my area shows events up to early 2004 with "Found" logs, events starting in late 2004 with "attended" logs.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

It looks to me like the API isn't set to correctly handle this cache type. When I go to log that cache event exhibit on the website, I get the following log type options:

Maze_logging.jpg

IMG_2372.PNG

I assume this is where the "Found it" logs are coming from. It looks to me like the left hand (web developers) isn't talking to the right hand (API/app developers) and therefore haven't agreed on whether these are to be treated as events or caches. Looking back through a bunch of old exhibits, it looks like this bug has been present for years. The one in Arkansas in 2009 has 180 "Attended" logs and one "Found it" log.

I believe the same thing happens with all events.

Maze_logging.jpg

IMG_2372.PNG

Nope, I just checked, and Events have the same logging options on both the website and the official app.

It should also be noted that since I posted the screenshots above, the following changes have occurred:

-On the website, "Needs Archived" is no longer an option. The only log types available are "Attended", "Will Attend", and "Write note".

-In the official app, "Didn't find it", "Needs Archived", and "Needs Maintenance" are no longer options. However, "Will Attend" has been added, so the current options for logging a GPS Maze are "Found it!", "Will Attend", and "Write Note".

Currently, it appears that GPS Mazes are considered an event on the website, but a hybrid in the app (having both cache and event logging options). Things have changed since early 2013, but the left hand still isn't talking to the right hand. :laughing:

Maze_logging.jpg

IMG_2372.PNG

Nope, I just checked, and Events have the same logging options on both the website and the official app.

It should also be noted that since I posted the screenshots above, the following changes have occurred:

-On the website, "Needs Archived" is no longer an option. The only log types available are "Attended", "Will Attend", and "Write note".

-In the official app, "Didn't find it", "Needs Archived", and "Needs Maintenance" are no longer options. However, "Will Attend" has been added, so the current options for logging a GPS Maze are "Found it!", "Will Attend", and "Write Note".

Currently, it appears that GPS Mazes are considered an event on the website, but a hybrid in the app (having both cache and event logging options). Things have changed since early 2013, but the left hand still isn't talking to the right hand. :laughing:

I've only "found" one GPS Maze but it felt much more like an event than any other cache type. The coordinates were for the entrance or general area where the science museum was located and once inside, and making my way to the GPS Maze exhibit, although there was a game within the maze, the logbook was at the entrance of the maze. The socializing with other geocachers inside and out of the maze was very much like other events I've attended. Looking back at my logs for the GPS Maze I can see that I posted a "will attend" then an "attended" after visiting the maze.

Are there any plans for any new locations for the GPS ADventure Exhibits for this year?

Please see this Help Center article.

Is there any chance that this might come down under?

Canada and Europe are on the list, but not Australia.

It's a pretty elaborate exhibit but if there are GPS mazes in Europe I suspect that they constructed a "clone" of the exhibit that can be shipped around Europe by truck. I don't know how many instances of the exhibit have been created for North America but it would be fairly expensive to ship it to Australia or make a copy for Australia.

Are there any plans for any new locations for the GPS ADventure Exhibits for this year?

Please see this Help Center article.

Is there any chance that this might come down under?

Canada and Europe are on the list, but not Australia.

It's a pretty elaborate exhibit but if there are GPS mazes in Europe I suspect that they constructed a "clone" of the exhibit that can be shipped around Europe by truck. I don't know how many instances of the exhibit have been created for North America but it would be fairly expensive to ship it to Australia or make a copy for Australia.

Easy... just take it all apart and put TBs on them and ask geocachers to take it to Australia.

Easy... just take it all apart and put TBs on them and ask geocachers to take it to Australia.

...and after a while, some pieces will have disappeared into thin air, some will be listed as being in a certain location when they haven't been there for some time, some will travel farther from Australia, some will bounce around Germany for a while, some will arrive with a McToy attached, and a handful will make it to Australia intact. :laughing: