Cache Vandalism

So today I went to my cache that I have placed to collect it, clear it out and place it back. When I was going through the log book there was some vandalism (from the local school kids I suspect). The vandalism was quite crude and made me question whether or not to put the cache back - especially since there are probably a lot of young people finding it since it's difficulty is only 1.5 (terrain 1.5 also).

What do you think about vandalism in caches? And should I put the cache back with the possibility of it being muggled or vandalised worse?

Your cache has been found 13 times by cachers with less than 30 finds. My scientific research clearly shows that newbies are more likely to leave odd items and leave odd notes in caches. Either make it premium only, move it to where new cachers are not going to bother going, or just tear out the crude stuff and cache on. I would choose option #3.

I'd probably rethink the location.

Definitely. I had one that local kids had found. They left notes in it for a while. But eventually it went missing. Sooner or later it will go missing. But in the meantime they'll just keep leaving nasty notes for you real geocachers to find.

Do you think I should archive the cache and make a new one?

Definitely. I had one that local kids had found. They left notes in it for a while. But eventually it went missing. Sooner or later it will go missing. But in the meantime they'll just keep leaving nasty notes for you real geocachers to find.

If you move it, yes. I assume we are not talking about a cache big enough to hold TBs and geocoins.

If you move it, yes. I assume we are not talking about a cache big enough to hold TBs and geocoins.

Actually it is big enough for both and for a decent amount of swapables.

Actually it is big enough for both and for a decent amount of swapables.

Then yes, you should seriously consider moving it so that it is not easily found by the general public. I don't expect perfection in any hide, but once it's a concern it's best to relocate.

I do. You can find a new place close by that's not as easily accessible, but unless it's less than 10 or 15 feet, I think that's a new hide. Especially for a cache that size.

Looks like the OP has archived his cache.

If you do decide to place a new one nearby (or in any other high risk area), I'd suggest putting a note on the cache page telling people not to leave trackables in it.

Yeah I placed a new one today but not near the old one. It's not as easy so vandalism shouldn't be a problem. I just hope that the 3 travel bugs that were in my cache weren't stolen and they will show up.

Your cache has been found 13 times by cachers with less than 30 finds. My scientific research clearly shows that newbies are more likely to leave odd items and leave odd notes in caches. Either make it premium only, move it to where new cachers are not going to bother going, or just tear out the crude stuff and cache on. I would choose option #3.

uh okay i was a new geocacher not long ago two years or what ever and i left amazing notes sometimes stamps spent more than i should have on swag....most of the geocachers i know started out like that i even started cleaning the caches on my tenth one.......... what scientfic research is that did you read it out of a book?

If you do decide to place a new one nearby (or in any other high risk area), I'd suggest putting a note on the cache page telling people not to leave trackables in it.

so should we go to a few caches that are HIGH muggle areas and they have geocoins..and bugs in them..and your telling him to put a note on it just because some teenagers came over saw the geoache picked it up and wrote some bad words in it and left it there

so should we go to a few caches that are HIGH muggle areas and they have geocoins..and bugs in them..and your telling him to put a note on it just because some teenagers came over saw the geoache picked it up and wrote some bad words in it and left it there

Sorry...I've put this post through Google translate and it comes up with 'no known language'.

I think the incredibles make a perfectly sensible suggestion if a CO wishes to persevere with a cache in a high muggle area. Whilst the first group of kids that find a cache may just add some names, if they show the cache to other friends these may not be as willing to leave the cache alone and then more significant problems may arise.

Yeah I placed a new one today but not near the old one. It's not as easy so vandalism shouldn't be a problem. I just hope that the 3 travel bugs that were in my cache weren't stolen and they will show up.

There was a similar one near my home. The log book had many full-page stories from non-caching local kids. I photographed a couple of the best stories (blotted out the profanity for posting), and kind of wished I'd taken more pictures before it got archived, because the non-cachers wrote much more fascinating and creative logs than the “real” Geocachers did.

Sorry...I've put this post through Google translate and it comes up with 'no known language'.

I think the incredibles make a perfectly sensible suggestion if a CO wishes to persevere with a cache in a high muggle area. Whilst the first group of kids that find a cache may just add some names, if they show the cache to other friends these may not be as willing to leave the cache alone and then more significant problems may arise.

get your big boy pants on it and get over it and putting a note on it for trackables...when theres caches that ive seen in higher muggle areas than kids just coming by

get your big boy pants on it and get over it and putting a note on it for trackables...when theres caches that ive seen in higher muggle areas than kids just coming by

I've just read your posts on two other threads and have managed to restrain myself and not pass comment on them, but this it the third time and I can't hold out any longer.

What you're writing is meaningless gibberish, it's almost always impossible to deduce any sensible meaning from what you're writing. You seem to think you're being some sort of radical by abandoning punctuation because you don't think it's important but in fact it means people can't understand what you're writing and so you might as well not bother.

On the other hand maybe you're doing it on purpose, in which case I've been hooked by your trap :blink: .

I'm sorry, once again I can't understand what you are saying?

Haven't you people heard of stream of consciousness? It is a very legitimate narrative device used in literature to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind. Stream-of-consciousness writing is usually regarded as a special form of interior monologue and is characterized by associative leaps in thought and lack of punctuation.

Off Grid is a master of it. Wake up people!

So today I went to my cache that I have placed to collect it, clear it out and place it back. When I was going through the log book there was some vandalism (from the local school kids I suspect). The vandalism was quite crude and made me question whether or not to put the cache back - especially since there are probably a lot of young people finding it since it's difficulty is only 1.5 (terrain 1.5 also).

What do you think about vandalism in caches? And should I put the cache back with the possibility of it being muggled or vandalised worse?

a few people seem to just move the container a few meters away

than maybe even put it as a premium cache

I'm just telling him what I would do. He can take my advice...or not.

I personally had a cache that was muggled (trackables lost) and I posted a note on the page saying 'no trackables'.

Haven't you people heard of stream of consciousness? It is a very legitimate narrative device used in literature to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind. Stream-of-consciousness writing is usually regarded as a special form of interior monologue and is characterized by associative leaps in thought and lack of punctuation.

Oh boy, another "individual" with an "Uneducated opinion" lots of those around..

uh okay i was a new geocacher not long ago two years or what ever and i left amazing notes sometimes stamps spent more than i should have on swag....most of the geocachers i know started out like that i even started cleaning the caches on my tenth one.......... what scientfic research is that did you read it out of a book?

Ladies & gentlemen, we have a debate! Let's hear more!

Ladies & gentlemen, we have a debate! Let's hear more!

a prime example today cleaned out a cache added new swag left signed it left it took a nice picture

Oh boy, another "individual" with an "Uneducated opinion" lots of those around..

WOW! You definitely got me there. Cheech Gang sneaks away, beaten, with his tail between his legs.

WOW! You definitely got me there. Cheech Gang sneaks away, beaten, with his tail between his legs.

You guys sure do get your feathers ruffled quickly, don't you?

I've just read your posts on two other threads and have managed to restrain myself and not pass comment on them, but this it the third time and I can't hold out any longer.

What you're writing is meaningless gibberish, it's almost always impossible to deduce any sensible meaning from what you're writing. You seem to think you're being some sort of radical by abandoning punctuation because you don't think it's important but in fact it means people can't understand what you're writing and so you might as well not bother.

On the other hand maybe you're doing it on purpose, in which case I've been hooked by your trap :blink: .

I also have refrained from commenting (directly); he's obviously proud of the way he "writes" and is not going to change. My personal solution has been to just not bother even trying to read his posts. When I see his name I just skip to the next post. (Deleted the rest of what I was going to say as iy was not worth risking a time-out.)

You have stated many a times that I'm the immature one yet you sit there and say your going to go past my posts and constantly drill me for something that does not even matter I wake up read the posts and can't help but laugh as I would not expect this from people who are obviously years older

I'm glad to know I had a sex change over night to haha

But ya I'd move it maybe make it a premium cache and cache on gets pinched again and well maybe than change location

You guys sure do get your feathers ruffled quickly, don't you?

nope but you guys sure do I can't even count how many times you have brought up something meaningless and pointless
nope but you guys sure do I can't even count how many times you have brought up something meaningless and pointless

I'm certainly guilty of that.

Let me ask you Off Grid, do you think the owner should move the cache? Regardless of what might have been a reason for concern or blame? To coin a phrase, keeping caches off-grid from the general public does seem to help.

Let me ask you Off Grid, do you think the owner should move the cache? Regardless of what might have been a reason for concern or blame? To coin a phrase, keeping caches off-grid from the general public does seem to help.

move it a few feet maybe make it a premium if it gets pinched again than change location period

move it a few feet maybe make it a premium if it gets pinched again than change location period

+1