Proximity rule should not be affected by a multi-stage

We do Geocaching as a family, and we are premium members. We also hide caches, the kids get involved in this process. One thing we don't do is multi-caches (or puzzles, or virtuals, or anything but traditional). Simply put, it's not interesting to the kids.

So the other day we find a good spot to hide a cache. Check on our phones, and no other caches are nearby (we only show traditional caches on our devices). But as luck would have it, the later stages of a multi-cache is within my cache's proximity!!?!? Seriously, now I need to go find all the potential multi-stage caches that are nearby just so I can hide my cache? Does anyone else see a problem with this rule? What if I'm unable to solve the puzzle, or the multi-stage cache, and therefore can't find all the later stages of it?

We are not interested in finding the multi-cache, my kids would get bored very quickly of finding "clues" that lead to more "clues" that might eventually lead to the actual treasure. Although it is just 1 in over 2 million, it's 1 that will not get re-hidden. I'm just going to leave it there, and so be it. If someone else stumbles upon it, great. Ultimately the powers that be, need to really re-think this rule, and understand that not everyone looks for every type of cache. Certain types (puzzles, multi, etc) are not for the casual, but the hardcore. And now the casual user suffers because of the hardcore... good way to promote yourself to the new cachers in the world!

#fail :sad:

Edited by Keystone

And for the record, if I go back and retreive my container, I will take my kids, and will need to explain to them the awful rules of why our cache is rejected... In turn this would likely discourage them from doing more geocaching, since the rules don't make sense, and in turn make the game much less fun for them.... but I should lead by example right?

We do maintain our caches. We treat geocaching as a family event, thus the myself/spouse with 1 or more kids goes out and maintains the small handful of caches we own. In fact we have already replaced the container multiple times on our first ever hide (Pinky and the Brain), and are about to archive it tonite due to continued muggling (as soon as the site comes back online).... but again this is a family afair, and as such my kids would certainly come along with us, where I would need to explain to them why we can't even bother hiding a cache anywhere near here, because I'm sure that multi-stage covers the area fairly well.

6noisy - from my point of view, having to find every stage of a multi-stage which originated outside of my range, but one of the destinations is within the 0.1 mile range of my cache, I need to move it. What if I'm unable to actually find all the stages of the multi-stage involved? As for the scuba reference: It would be pretty funny to see someone in scuba gear looking for a cache on a beach :)

What you've experienced is unfortunately a very common problem, and it trips up people all the time when they try to hide caches. I have a feeling it won't change any time soon though.

Reviewers are usually helpful in cases like this. You might ask, is this location okay, before actually placing the hide. Or the reviewer might offer a hint like, if you moved it 60' in this direction...

Maybe you'd like to give it another whirl.

Our first cache placement had to be moved because we were too close to a puzzle cache. The original site was chosen by our youngest son - eight at the time. He was a little disappointed but hey, life goes that way sometimes, so we moved it. He still has a cache of his own (in a better spot, I think ;) ) and he's happy.

Our reviewer was kind enough to tell us which puzzle it was so we could solve it and relocate our cache accordingly. Fortunately it turned out to be a relatively easy puzzle. If you know which multi it is and have trouble finding any of the stages, perhaps you could send an email to the cache owner and ask if he/she might be willing to help you determine which areas are available to you. Most cachers out there are pretty friendly that way :D

I'm not 100% sure of what I'm saying and I'm happy to get corrected if I'm wrong but provided that it is not the final stage of the multi or a waypoint that has a container attached to it (i.e the multi waypoint could be a plaque or other sort of information available to anyone) you can still place a cache within the 0.1 mile range. Is this correct?

I personally like all cache types and the actual proximity rule can also sometime help you in solving some of the multi or mystery caches.

I understand your frustration but as mentioned by 6NoisyHikckers you can usually ask your reviewer before placing a cache if such and such coordinates are ok and if you can "book" them for your cache. It avoids you from putting a lot of effort into creating a cache to blend in the local environment and then finding out that there is already a mystery or multi nearby.

So my container is trash... but all the other geocaches are not... because they are listed on a website makes them not trash vs my unlisted container?

Your container is trash only when you leave it where no one can find it. The fact it's unlisted makes all the difference.

You don't need to go find all the multi's and puzzles in your area either. Simply contact the local reviewers and do a cache saturation check before placing your container, so you will know if the place is taken ahead of time. That way you will know if the space is free before you invest your time and effort in placement.

I'm not 100% sure of what I'm saying and I'm happy to get corrected if I'm wrong but provided that it is not the final stage of the multi or a waypoint that has a container attached to it (i.e the multi waypoint could be a plaque or other sort of information available to anyone) you can still place a cache within the 0.1 mile range. Is this correct?

The way it was explained to me is pretty much as you stated it. The proximity rule applies to the final stage of a multistage. It also applies to earlier stages IF the CO placed something there (container, etc.). If an early stage of a multistage just uses a pre-existing object to provide information (for example, getting a number from a pre-existing sign or monument), then the proximity rule does NOT apply to that intermediate stage.

Good luck to the cache placer who voiced the frustration over the proximity problem. As stated, you can very likely get help from the reviewer and/or the CO of the multi. And by the way, there are some easy multis out there. There may be some easy puzzles, but I'm still looking for them! ;)

I would just email your reviewer with your proposed coordinates and ask if the spot is available. Most reviewers will gladly give you a simple yes or no so you'll know you're clear before you go through the effort and expense of making the hide.

And to friwiNZ, you are correct. Proximity rules only apply to physical stages of a multi, i.e., a container or some other object placed by the hider. A stage that only requires you to go there to get some information, like a date from a historic marker for example, does not count for saturation purposes.

So my container is trash... but all the other geocaches are not... because they are listed on a website makes them not trash vs my unlisted container?

In a manner of speaking yes, because the others are maintained and removed at the end of their lifespan (or should be). Your intent is to leave it behind forever.

Some of the best caches I've ever done are multis. I even have one catered to kids: http://coord.info/GC3BD9F and I would hate to think of someone skipping it just because they never do nontraditional caches. You should at least begin occasionally looking at multis. There are two main types

Type1) The go here and gather information. The good ones of these are usually at historic or neat locations that may not be able to house a physical cache. These can be great spots to take kids as they can learn something about the history. Plus these usually make for good picture ops.

Type2) Find a container go to the next container. Just like traditionals but you have to do more than one to get to the final. If your kids like looking for stuff then these may be fun (of course anything over 3 stages becomes tiring sometimes).

On either of these a little research beforehand can weed out ones that seem long or boring but your kids may enjoy the change of pace. You'll never know unless you try.

As far as your cache. I highly doubt a rule that has been in place and worked well for 10 years will be changed. Almost all cache hiders have ran into a situation similar to this. I'm sure the reviewer or a local would be willing to help figure out which multi it is and maybe you could knock it off by yourself just to know where that stage is so you can move your cache. And yes leaving your container is like littering. Why not reuse if for a new hide.

I just checked out your area. I see this one http://coord.info/GC2CZAC is in a park where you have another hide. So if this new cache was placed in Fallon Park I gurantee you were too close to one of the two stages.

This one http://coord.info/GCC92D also looks like it is in different parks around town. Judging by the favorite points it looks like a fun one.

It looks like you have some good multis in town that you should at least look at and that your kids may really enjoy

Unless your objective is simply getting numbers how does a 6 stage multi differ from 6 regular caches? The kids get the same walk, see the same bits of nature, spend the same time with their dad.

Edited by edscott
Certain types (puzzles, multi, etc) are not for the casual, but the hardcore.

I'd hardly call myself "hard core". I'm a casual geocacher armed with only a smart phone and a pen who's willing to take on a little puzzle or multi-cache occasionally. I generally go on my lunch hour or occasionally when I'm out with the family doing other things, so I'm not sure why you would say the family can't get involved. If they enjoy hunting for a traditional cache, why wouldn't they enjoy gathering clues or following a trail of caches?

Heck...you should even get the family all together and create your own multicache. Make a family-oriented one that you yourself wouldn't mind solving. The game is what you make it. If you only see puzzles you don't want to solve and think others might like to see a different sort of puzzle...make your own and demonstrate to other family geocachers what sort of fun they can have.

You've been caching since '08 and hiding since '11.

- Caching and hiding long enough where these proximity rules shouldn't be something new for you.

A simple email to your reviewer may find you only need to move the hide a few feet to make placement fine. Or do the multi.

- And if you decide to say heck with it, at least go back and pick up your cache.

I'd be willing to bet your reviewer is already made aware of your remarks to leave it (lots of lurkers in the forums).

Hi Fur and The Boys,

I do understand your frustration. When we started and wanted to place a cache, there were puzzles all over the city and not knowing in which park they were actually hidden, I started solving puzzles and learned about wedding anniversaries, birth stones, sports heros, and different languages including Klingon etc. And in the end, I did find an empty city park! And now I love puzzles. Some puzzles are for kids: Monopoly, transformers, Lord of the Rings etc.

The Eyestone Saga family have hidden a series of puzzles by their kids - my favorite is the cheerios one - http://coord.info/GC3MYCV . Fun and educational.

Our geohound, CharlieDog has hidden 19 caches! Most of them are puzzles like this one: http://coord.info/GC25RWM. After all, if a dog hid them, how hard could they be? My favorite is http://coord.info/GC2KBJY. The FTFer story is one of the best logs that we have gotten.

Many multis are only one stage - read the historical plaque and then walk a short distance to find the cache. We enjoy those too. Others require some more walking but you could do a few stages each day. Our friend's kids enjoyed finding the clues in the murals in this series: http://coord.info/GC15ENB .

Hope you do find a great spot for your cache.

Enjoy your geocaching adventures!

mwellman

editted to fix links. Sorry.

Edited by mwellman

In turn this would likely discourage them from doing more geocaching, since the rules don't make sense, and in turn make the game much less fun for them.... but I should lead by example right?

One of the reasons for the rule is so people do not stumble across one cache while looking for another. Another reason is that too many caches in the area are not good for the area, or even for caching. Being able to walk and find a cache every 50 feet is not really desirable or we would all be rushing over to do Munzees.

If they are discouraged from geocaching because there are rules, them not wanting to geocache is the least of your problems. There are many rules in life we either are unaware of or don't understand/agree with that we have to abide by. This is an excellent opportunity to set an example of how to deal with them.

Before coming here and trashing the rule (as well as other types of hides), a better example would be to ask for an explanation for it's implementation before going on the offensive.

We are not interested in finding the multi-cache, my kids would get bored very quickly of finding "clues" that lead to more "clues" that might eventually lead to the actual treasure. Although it is just 1 in over 2 million, it's 1 that will not get re-hidden. I'm just going to leave it there, and so be it. If someone else stumbles upon it, great. Ultimately the powers that be, need to really re-think this rule, and understand that not everyone looks for every type of cache. Certain types (puzzles, multi, etc) are not for the casual, but the hardcore. And now the casual user suffers because of the hardcore... good way to promote yourself to the new cachers in the world!

Perhaps you should be creative and find ways to get your children interested & motivated to find ALL types of caches. Threaten them to stay home and do their homework..... Or, make it a challenge for them to do it all themselves.... Motivate them to WANT to do it.

This hobby has been around since 2000 and they've set the rules (and proximity) for a reason. IT WORKS. Everyone in this hobby has the same problems dealing with proximity. Deal with it. Move to another location. DO NOT leave your unpublished cache/TRASH there.

If you are that frustrated with how the game is played, perhaps you should find a different hobby. If you don't like multi's, then you probably don't like Puzzles either. Too bad.... You're missing out on some great fun!!!

I'm just going to leave it there, and so be it. If someone else stumbles upon it, great. Ultimately the powers that be, need to really re-think this rule....

That's one way to lose sympathy. If you weren't willing to do the simple maintenance act of relocating the container, then you likely weren't willing to perform any other maintenance, either. Thank you for saving us from having to find yet another moldy neglected box.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

We do Geocaching as a family, and we are premium members. We also hide caches, the kids get involved in this process. One thing we don't do is multi-caches (or puzzles, or virtuals, or anything but traditional). Simply put, it's not interesting to the kids.

So the other day we find a good spot to hide a cache. Check on our phones, and no other caches are nearby (we only show traditional caches on our devices). But as luck would have it, the later stages of a multi-cache is within my cache's proximity!!?!? Seriously, now I need to go find all the potential multi-stage caches that are nearby just so I can hide my cache? Does anyone else see a problem with this rule? What if I'm unable to solve the puzzle, or the multi-stage cache, and therefore can't find all the later stages of it?

So instead you're going to teach your kids the "It's not going my way so I quit!" approach? We all get stonewalled at some point. It's a part of life. Throwing your hands up on something like this and leaving the litter there because you don't want to go get it is the wrong approach.

And for the record, if I go back and retreive my container, I will take my kids, and will need to explain to them the awful rules of why our cache is rejected... In turn this would likely discourage them from doing more geocaching, since the rules don't make sense, and in turn make the game much less fun for them.... but I should lead by example right?

What a great lesson for your kids: "If we can't have our way, we'll take our ball and go home."

Instead, why don't you teach them that life has rules, and we need to move our cache north by a few hundred feet. Not really that big a deal. It's all just grassy hillside and trees. Just find another tree.

So because you don't like something it should not apply to you? I don't like golf, so that means I can drive through a golf course. I don't use it for golfing so I should be able to use it like any other open space.

This situation is why the proximity rule is important. If you are looking for traditional caches you know where they all are. One could be on the north side of the street, and one on the south-pretty obvious then if you find the wrong cache. But the caches that don't appear on the map? I'm looking for a trad and there happens to be a stage for a multi or the final for a puzzle cache 5 feet away, well I don't really know which one I've found. I might log the wrong cache and not know it...Then my log gets deleted because my name is not in the logbook...With 161M between caches this is not likely to happen.

And has been suggested you can always get the co-ords and send it into a reviewer for a "proximity" check.

I will also add if your trying to squeeze a cache in, then there really isn't any reason to have that cache there...there are enough in the area already. Yes there are certain reasons to have a cache in an overly saturated area(Historic building maybe) but generally there doesn't need to be another cache there.

You can list it on another site.

Finally. Because if I were the first one to say it, I might end up in banned camp. :) Heck, you could even throw a stamp in it, and call it a letterbox.

Another thing I don't know if anyone brought up. Why do you have to take the kids with you to retrieve it? Just go yourself sometime. No disappointment for the kids there.

Interesting teaching moment being discussed here. We can't have what we want, so we'll just walk away from the problem? Is that what you are doing with your family time? But as my sister used to point out to me-you cannot possibly understand since you don't have any children. What I do understand is that not every cache is out there for every cacher. I tend to ignore most of the puzzles in my area. I understand I might have trouble hiding a new cache within 2 miles of any of them, as that is what is in the guidelines. So I check with the reviewer to see if a spot is available to me.

I also understand that some puzzles and multis can be very educational and fun for the family at the same time. There is a new cacher in our area who is an elementary school teacher. He's hidden several caches as part of his lesson plans, one of which is a math puzzle I might have to ask my youngest nephew for help on. I don't remember my fractions very well, it's been a few years. One of my multis is a 6 stage walking tour of downtown Raleigh. It isn't found often, as many people do ignore multis in the pursuit of a higher find count. But those who do take the time to find it comment on the educational value and the quality time spent with family working on the puzzle elements.

Please do not abandon your container, that does make it trash. Please work with your reviewer to find a good spot that you can place it in, and teach your children that lesson instead.

Perhaps you should be creative and find ways to get your children interested & motivated to find ALL types of caches. Threaten them to stay home and do their homework..... Or, make it a challenge for them to do it all themselves.... Motivate them to WANT to do it.

This is a game, it is supposed to be fun. Not everyone will like every part of the game. The idea of trying to force the kids to go find a type of cache they are not interested in is ridiculous.

You could,and maybe should, try to get them interested in trying different types of caches. However, threatening them, and forceing them to play some kind of game is wrong.

IMO multis are way more fun than traditional. Figuring our puzzles and riddles to get you closer to that prize is so much better than:

Park the car next to a light pole.

Lift base at light pole.

Find 35mm.

Log and leave.

If there is a legal parking spot on your street, and the city allows you to leave a car there for 72 hours without moving, your car is not abandoned. If you leave it there a month, it is an abandoned car. Same car different discriptions.

A cache hidden with permission, and in play, is a game piece. Remove it from play, and yes it becomes trash.

Interesting teaching moment being discussed here. We can't have what we want, so we'll just walk away from the problem? Is that what you are doing with your family time? But as my sister used to point out to me-you cannot possibly understand since you don't have any children. What I do understand is that not every cache is out there for every cacher. I tend to ignore most of the puzzles in my area. I understand I might have trouble hiding a new cache within 2 miles of any of them, as that is what is in the guidelines. So I check with the reviewer to see if a spot is available to me.

I also understand that some puzzles and multis can be very educational and fun for the family at the same time. There is a new cacher in our area who is an elementary school teacher. He's hidden several caches as part of his lesson plans, one of which is a math puzzle I might have to ask my youngest nephew for help on. I don't remember my fractions very well, it's been a few years. One of my multis is a 6 stage walking tour of downtown Raleigh. It isn't found often, as many people do ignore multis in the pursuit of a higher find count. But those who do take the time to find it comment on the educational value and the quality time spent with family working on the puzzle elements.

Please do not abandon your container, that does make it trash. Please work with your reviewer to find a good spot that you can place it in, and teach your children that lesson instead.

+1

I feel your pain. And I'm sorry you're not seeing much in the way of support here in the forums. Back in the day when my kids would go caching at all with me, they wouldn't touch a multi/puzzle with a ten-foot pole, and I understand your difficulties there.

The rule, unfortunately, is pretty inflexible. The way I see it, you've only got a few options:

1. Solve the puzzles/multis yourself without the kids in tow (and I know I certainly can't solve many, many puzzles in my area, so that option is pretty much a fail).

2. Ask the COs of any nearby puzzles/multis how far you need to move your proposed hide to not conflict with theirs. If all of the COs will actually e-mail you back (make sure to check the box saying you want to include your e-mail address when you contact them), then this could work (assuming you can figure out which puzzles/multis are interfering with your placement), but I'm betting some of them won't respond.

3. You could also try e-mailing cachers who've recently found the puzzles, explain your situation and I bet some of them will simply tell you where the final is. That won't help on the multis (I doubt very many finders keep track of where the stages/final are on a multi).

4. Play "battleship" with your new cache hide. You already know where one red X is. Pick a new proposed spot to hide the cache (don't bother to actually move the cache yet), e-mail the reviewer and see if the new coordinates are available. You could well go through many red Xs before finding an available spot (my reviewer prefers that I submit a proposed cache page, all filled out, checking the box that says it's all ready to go, with a notation in the reviewer notes saying it's really not ready to go and I'm just checking the coords - your reviewer may want you to do it this way, or he/she may do it by e-mail). This method will work, but it can take a long time and quite a bit of effort.

5. You could ask COs of other traditionals if they would consider archiving a cache to make room for your new hide (I would if someone asked me, especially if they explained that this new hide was important to their kids and they were having a tough time finding a spot, etc), but again don't expect all COs to respond. If you do find a taker, don't let them actually archive the cache until you submit your new cache hide with a note in the reviewer box saying that so-and-so is going to archive GC#XXX cache to make way for this one - you don't want someone else snagging the newly available spot first.

The answers are all somewhat discouraging for the casual hider in a cache saturated area, especially if a lot of that saturation comes from puzzles/multis. You could also try hiding a little farther out away from cache dense areas (farther away from town, etc). I know in my area, you have to really search to find unclaimed ground in any city park.

Sorry I can't come up with any better options.

i know how you feel we go out there and make one beautiful cache have information great spot great view on the galloping goose where a cache should be kinda spot and we send it in and they say that theres some puzzle cache right at the spot would have been nice if there was a warning sign of some sort we just laughed really hard thats typical. or when you go make a sweet cache get down there and theres one you havent found yet its in a great spot and you find it its a deoderant container that you probably just pulled out of ur medicine cabinet and it looks like garbage

What a great lesson for your kids: "If we can't have our way, we'll take our ball and go home."

Instead, why don't you teach them that life has rules, and we need to move our cache north by a few hundred feet. Not really that big a deal. It's all just grassy hillside and trees. Just find another tree.

yes but as ive noticed in geocaching theres rules and theres RULES just like in life theres rules and RULES soooooo???

If there is a legal parking spot on your street, and the city allows you to leave a car there for 72 hours without moving, your car is not abandoned. If you leave it there a month, it is an abandoned car. Same car different discriptions.

A cache hidden with permission, and in play, is a game piece. Remove it from play, and yes it becomes trash.

so basically your telling me that if it isnt geocaching.com...than every other site is trash just because its not geocaching.com?

This hobby has been around since 2000 and they've set the rules (and proximity) for a reason. IT WORKS. Everyone in this hobby has the same problems dealing with proximity. Deal with it. Move to another location. DO NOT leave your unpublished cache/TRASH there.

If you are that frustrated with how the game is played, perhaps you should find a different hobby. If you don't like multi's, then you probably don't like Puzzles either. Too bad.... You're missing out on some great fun!!!

i feel sorry for your kids if you made them do things they dont want to do.. or took away there toys and forced them to do homework just because you wont do a puzzle or multi with mommy.. ...ya....i dont like multis or puzzles and i wouldnt recommend them for kids as sometimes your sitting there for a few hours trying to figure it out or there just impossible to do because its like a novel to figuring out how to do it

uhhh, wow.

I suddenly just got the urge to hide another puzzle this afternoon. The best part is that my 9 year old daughter will want to assist.

each child is different if your daughter likes puzzle caches koodos but if his kids dont well thats life.

uhhh, wow.

I suddenly just got the urge to hide another puzzle this afternoon. The best part is that my 9 year old daughter will want to assist.

each child is different if your daughter likes puzzle caches koodos but if his kids dont well thats life.

The whole point of my second sentence was just that, "that's life". But thanks for commenting.

Something tells me this is a good thing...the losing interest part.

something tells me your out of line...and your letting a good geocacher go? shame shame

uhhh, wow.

The whole point of my second sentence was just that, "that's life". But thanks for commenting.

ya maybe type it next time? and why your welcome for commenting ill always be here to comment.:) about how i agree with him on the fact that it is junk you make a amazing cache and some multi or puzzle messes with it even though its a historical cache that could be placed there something a tiny bit better

so basically your telling me that if it isnt geocaching.com...than every other site is trash just because its not geocaching.com?

No, what is being said is that if it gets listed it's not trash. It's part of a game. You agree to that part? If it doesn't get listed here, other sites, or kept for a private cache(Girl Guides for example) or in other words not in play-not found, not even given the opportunity to be found(intentionally, not by accident) then it is trash.

ill always be here to comment.

Good to know, I;m looking forward to all of your comment, and lack of any structure in your posts. :rolleyes: [/sarcasm]

something tells me your out of line...and your letting a good geocacher go? shame shame

How is a quitter a "good geocacher"? Isn't one of the points of this game persistence? Instead of making adjustments, this person hits a single roadblock and decides this game is stupid and she can't play anymore. Anyone willing to actually search for a geocache and occasionally log a DNF ought not to be thrown off by this very minor setback.

uhhh, wow.

Each adult is different. Some use punctuation, some do not.