Public Picnic and BBQ Sites

Hi folks,

I couldn't found a category that covers public BBQ- and Picnic sites like tables, public Grills or resting areas in the woods.

Here is a example for a public BBQ place with tables BBQ Place.

What do you think about it?

I look forward to your answers!

Tharandter

Edited by Tharandter

Would these fall under Municipal Parks or one of the other parks? Most of the picnic areas I can think of here would.

Most of the examples given by lumbricus seem to be in a park, indeed. But picnic areas with a fireplace inside a park are very rare around here where I live. Most parks do not have such an area, and most of the picnic areas are not within parks, but just somewhere in the fields or woods, often near hiking paths. I guess there are some differences on what would qualify as such a place in different countries; this could make the definition tricky.

I don't understand how this could fit into the Municipal Park category? :unsure:

I know such places at lakes, deep in the forest along some hiking trails, at shore areas of rivers and so on...

Some of them can be rented, some can be used freely. Whenever I go on a hike I see such picnic tables and resting places

and everytime I'm wondering, why there is no suitable category for that?

I've created a group for it, so feel free to join. :rolleyes:

In other countries parks have often picnic places. What are we mean with 'Picnic place'? Two benches and one table? Almost every park has a bench and a table, most of the highway rest areas have picnic places. I would exclude locations without a bbq place. These places are rare here in Germany. In Australia they have them all few meters (a friend told me) it's free to use them.

In my area most picnic areas with bbq grills are in parks. There are some which are more highway rest stops. The picnic facilities vary from individual tables and grills to large pavilions with several tables and large grills for groups. These facilities are in found in city, county and state parks in my area.

Same in TX -- picnic areas with BBQ grills are ubiquitous. No self- respecting Texan would have a party in the park without being able to burn some burgers or cook a little brisket. Almost all state roadside rest areas and campsites have them too. City parks, county parks, large country churchyards (especially in Czech central TX) -- they are truly everywhere.

Most state park campsites have fireplaces AND outdoor grills -- Blasterz use one for s'mores "snacks" and one for grilled food when dinner is taking too long and Girl Scouts get grouchy :)

The grills may not be the cleanest things around, but fortunately fire is a great sanitizer. :)

Note that in west Texas you may have to evict some venomous black widow spiders before use (as in, if you discover one, there WILL be others hidden in or on the same grill). :eek:

Look for an apparently vacant messy web, and she WILL be there. Her offspring will be hidden in other corners very nearby. Nobody wants to eat the hot dog walked on by a black widow, and nobody enjoys the kids being close when multiple black widows abandon ship by dropping off on their silk lines. <-- the Voice of Experience

(By the way: if black widows are jn the grill they are hanging out under the picnic tables too. And they are on the picnic shelter. And they are in any cracks in the walls around the shelter -- see one, assume a dozen are hiding. Be careful out there!!!)

Outdoor grills are an expected amenity in our TX an US food and outdoor recreation culture, so I can see a kazillion WM possibilities here, most of whom would be found in or at other WM categories as variables --

Municipal parks and plazas

Hiking trailheads

Free Campsites

State and Provincial Parks

National Parks

Scout Camps

Campgrounds

Cabin-style lodging

Recommended Accommodations (yes, some hotels provide these grills for guests)

Et cetera --

Food for some outdoor thought :)

...Note that in west Texas you may have to evict some venomous black widow spiders before use (as in, if you discover one, there WILL be others hidden in or on the same grill). :eek:

Look for an apparently vacant messy web, and she WILL be there. Her offspring will be hidden in other corners very nearby. Nobody wants to eat the hot dog walked on by a black widow, and nobody enjoys the kids being close when multiple black widows abandon ship by dropping off on their silk lines. <-- the Voice of Experience

(By the way: if black widows are jn the grill they are hanging out under the picnic tables too. And they are on the picnic shelter. And they are in any cracks in the walls around the shelter -- see one, assume a dozen are hiding. Be careful out there!!!)...

HA, ha, ha...... :grin:

It's really strange. We have so less here, you have so many there. I don't know even one public bbq location in my homezone. Campgrounds maybe have one, but no local will go there, because we are not camping there. Normally we grill something in our garden. We have no grill in our parks. Perhpas it would be a good idea to open a public bbq station (for a few Euros) :anibad:

My grandpa got 80 today, so perhaps my English is kind of strange. Doesn't matter, Ha, I'm feeling good..... :blink:

It's really strange. We have so less here, you have so many there. I don't know even one public bbq location in my homezone.

That is really strange. I always thought Bavaria is not so different from Switzerland. I know hundreds of these places. Not in my home zone - I live in an urban area, but even here I could tell you at least 20 locations in less than an hour hiking distance. My kids could make a fire on their own before their first school day.

Can not say I have seen any public BBQs near here in North England. Not public ones. Open flames are frowned on nowadays and would get a visit from the boys in the red fire appliance. BBQ places are usually on paying camp grounds with a supply of wood for campers. This prevents campers leaving fire pits all over the camp site and defoliating all the nearby green trees and reduces the tent burning which usually follows. see local paper for details.

I have a GC on Peel Island which gets many wild campers. There is nothing combustible below arm stretching height. I am waiting for some enterprising visitor to chop a tree down. Lack of combustible material is our stumbling point here in England.

Other countries may have more charitable BBQ areas.

Put a proposal together and we will vote on it. Got to try.

I am just on my way back from a short Waymarking trip to some castle ruins on a hill near a suburb during lunch break. I walked maybe 45 minutes and passed by over a dozen official public BBQ sites in the forest (and about five wild ones). Didn't take any pictures, too prevalent around here. But if the category makes it, I can have the icon in no time. In the recent years many municipalites have even started to provide their BBQ locations with free fire wood.

In Australia there are thousands of free barbecues. 419 of them have been added to a Geocaching Australia locationless cache which I own. Yesterday I added another barbecue to my Round Tuit list - I think I probably have 50 or more barbecues to add.

At the same time and general location I also added a 'Municipal Parks and Plazas' and a 'Public Playgrounds' to my Round Tuit list for Waymarks. (I'm part way through March 2012 on my Round Tuit list at present, less than 2,000 to go, but the list grows every time I leave home with a gpsr).

I think the 'Public Picnic and BBQ Sites' category can run independant of the 'Municipal Parks and Plazas' without a problem. Not all parks have barbecues, not all barbecues are in parks, some are in parks but the park is not particularly 'Waymarkable'. I add probably three parks for every 10 playgrounds and/or barbecues, but that's a personal quality filter in action.

I'm surprised that some countries don't seem to have free public barbecues, but there is probably more than enough 'universality' to warrant the category.

Edited by Keystone