Spiteful Geocachers

I think I am done with forums. It seems that you can make more enemies than friends on here.

I'm not the one threatening your caches, you're the one who chose to admire the fellow angst-profile cacher. Excuse me if I don't take the blame for that.

Does anyone else, besides BlueDuece (and apparently vicekitty), see any particular angst in my profile? I expressed my opinions about geocaching in what I thought (still think) was a calm and reasoned manner. And I carefully avoided claiming that any other way was somehow inferior. This is the first time (referring to BlueDeuce's comment) that anyone that I know of has read it in any other way.

Or is it simply that anyone's opinion that disagrees with your own is by definition angsty? Color me confused.

--Larry

You posted a bunch of disclaimers, and came at it from your point of view about yourself, not pointing any fingers. If people have a problem with what you wrote in your profile (I'm taking this at face value, since I don't know how interactions may be in person in your caching community or within these forums), then it says a lot about themselves.

Edited by Ambrosia

(I'm taking this at face value, since I don't know how interactions may be in person in your caching community or within these forums)....

Lots of folks in my local caching community have read my profile, and the only response I've gotten so far was respect for my opinions, which I've also discussed over beer and pizzas with other cachers. Nobody agrees with me completely, and that's just fine with me. This world is big enough for all of us to have our own opinions. Which is one reason I was really surprised that anyone read my profile as "angsty."

One of the main reasons I posted all that stuff in my profile was to explain to cachers in my area why they're not likely to see my name as FTF on any of their caches, and why I almost never get a find on their puzzle caches. It's just me, it's not their caches. :)

Regarding these forums, When I first added all that stuff to my profile, I created a thread about my geocaching philosophy. That post pretty much mirrors what's in my profile now. There were some interesting responses, all of them respectful. Not counting the poster who simply wrote "tl;dr". I just ignored that one.

--Larry

(I'm taking this at face value, since I don't know how interactions may be in person in your caching community or within these forums)....

Lots of folks in my local caching community have read my profile, and the only response I've gotten so far was respect for my opinions, which I've also discussed over beer and pizzas with other cachers. Nobody agrees with me completely, and that's just fine with me. This world is big enough for all of us to have our own opinions. Which is one reason I was really surprised that anyone read my profile as "angsty."

One of the main reasons I posted all that stuff in my profile was to explain to cachers in my area why they're not likely to see my name as FTF on any of their caches, and why I almost never get a find on their puzzle caches. It's just me, it's not their caches. :)

Regarding these forums, When I first added all that stuff to my profile, I created a thread about my geocaching philosophy. That post pretty much mirrors what's in my profile now. There were some interesting responses, all of them respectful. Not counting the poster who simply wrote "tl;dr". I just ignored that one.

--Larry

I've found in life that a lot of people would rather that you put on a mask and say "hi, how are you", "I'm fine", etc. They don't really want to hear the details of your life or opinions. If you say how you feel about something, then you're negative, or angsty, etc. I've learned to just smile and nod and not share as much as I used to. When I do decide to share, it's with the assurance within myself that at that moment, I don't care how people might react to what I say. I guess I have to be in the right mood or have to be talking to a person I semi trust. I used to naively overshare all the time and I got badly burned over the years until I woke up to society.

I think I am done with forums. It seems that you can make more enemies than friends on here.

I'm not the one threatening your caches, you're the one who chose to admire the fellow angst-profile cacher. Excuse me if I don't take the blame for that.

Does anyone else, besides BlueDuece (and apparently vicekitty), see any particular angst in my profile? I expressed my opinions about geocaching in what I thought (still think) was a calm and reasoned manner. And I carefully avoided claiming that any other way was somehow inferior. This is the first time (referring to BlueDeuce's comment) that anyone that I know of has read it in any other way.

Are opinions by definition angsty? I sincerely hope not. Or is it simply that anyone's opinion that disagrees with your own is by definition angsty? Color me confused.

--Larry

I really didn't mean to call your profile angsty. In fact, in the comment I put the word angst in quotation marks because I didn't think it was. But rather I meant to say it is way more opinionated than mine. :)

But rather I meant to say it is way more opinionated than mine. :)

Guilty as charged. I agree with Ambrosia's post, it seems that a lot of people somehow get offended or put off when someone dares to express an opinion, any opinion.

I should have learned a long time ago to just keep my mouth shut, but it's an ingrained habit which isn't likely to change any time soon.

--Larry

After some consideration, I have to wonder WHY someone would tell you they are going to 'mess' with your caches...even anonymously?

If I was planning something like that, I would just do it so you would get the full frustration of your caches going missing repeatedly.

I think they are bluffing.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but then I thought that maybe its a control thing for whoever it is. I am no FBI criminal profiler. :) But that is right in line with FTF hounds personality traits.

Also, people have reached out to me and expressed that they will help me create a puzzle cache that will be super hard to solve. I am so excited for that!

I take back what I said before, people on these forums are great!!!

Edited by vicekitty

you have the freedom to say how you feel about anything, or anyone for that matter,

if it is a smart thing to do, or not, is another question,

since others will also have the right to dislike or like you back.

Beeing neutral or slightly positive is my advice to rephrase your profile text.

you know what :-) you say you dont do FTF erly in the morning ?

and dont understand people who find this funny ???

Guess what ?? maybe the picture in your own gallery

with the darn erly morning FTF picture should be removed ?

the name of the picture is : MY FIRST FTF!!!

your log :

http://coord.info/GL9EFYPD

This is my very first FTF!!!! Hooray for me!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you for this cache!!! And how fitting it should be that a Baltimorean be the first to find this cache.

Anyway, I have been trying to get a FTF since I began geocaching a few months ago. And I had a goal of getting a FTF before my 100th find, but of course the geo-masters in the area would nab new caches up before I could get to them, or in the case of one cache I tried to FTF, (GC3W1DF) the coordinates were off by 180+ feet making my search for it futile.

Luckily I was surfing the internet around 12am today and just for giggles I decided to make a pocket query for new caches, and of course I see this cache on there. Within 5 minutes of seeing that I was out the door to go to my car to drive to the cache.

The park it is in was completely dark and I only had a pen light to guide me, and believe me it was scary.

The good thing is your coordinates were spot on. And for that I thank you CO.

Found at 1:38am

I signed log and took TB.

I also left 2 dollars for the 2nd finder. hehe

Again thanks for my first FTF cache!

-----------

sounds alot like someone had alot of fun to get a FTF :-)

your log :

This is my very first FTF!!!! Hooray for me!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you for this cache!!! And how fitting it should be that a Baltimorean be the first to find this cache.

Anyway, I have been trying to get a FTF since I began geocaching a few months ago. And I had a goal of getting a FTF before my 100th find, but of course the geo-masters in the area would nab new caches up before I could get to them, or in the case of one cache I tried to FTF, (GC3W1DF) the coordinates were off by 180+ feet making my search for it futile.

Luckily I was surfing the internet around 12am today and just for giggles I decided to make a pocket query for new caches, and of course I see this cache on there. Within 5 minutes of seeing that I was out the door to go to my car to drive to the cache.

The park it is in was completely dark and I only had a pen light to guide me, and believe me it was scary.

-----------

I laughed when I saw that! To the OP: perhaps you should choose one or the other--the pic in your gallery about the joy of an early morning FTF or your anti-FTF philosophy statement. Choose one or the other. :laughing:

You might place a Premium Member Only cache and see what happens--you can see who visited the cache page. Place three or four that way, see if there's overlap in viewers and disappearing caches. Chances are, though, nothing will happen at all.

Edited by Dame Deco

Any further mention about FTF cachers is just fuel for the fire. (As an aside- the FTF cachers in our area are pretty loveable- there's good and bad and you can't say for sure if FTF cachers are causing you problems so best not to say anything that can be interpreted as such.)

If you have not contacted the people at Groundspeak you definitely should. Let them handle this. This behavior, threats about destroying caches, certainly seems to be against geocaching policy and needs to be dealt with by them.

Your profile includes an editorial which I have to assume is directed at someone or some situation. I don't have a problem with that but you can't be surprised that someone chose to respond to it. It also tells me there is more to this story.

Like I said in my other posts there is no more to this story. And if there is any editorial in my profile it would be that I don't understand why people get up at 5am every day so they can dash out the door and drive 20 miles to get an LPC.

Just like non-Geocachers not understanding why any of us go out at any time GPS in hand looking for little boxes with little more than scraps of paper and dime store trinkets in them.

I read your profile as making those types of FTFers as jerks or losers for wanting to be the first

No one likes to be called a jerk or a loser.

It probably has something to do with this: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3W1DF

Either way happy caching. Hope you are able to make some impressive hides. Terrain 3-5 kind of stuff.

Edit: I don't want you to feel like I am picking on you, This is just a possible reason why you got this email. Try to work through this and maybe you will make a friend or at least defuse the situation rather than this being like another thread on these forums.

Edit2: The thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=306325

Edited by murrayegger

you have the freedom to say how you feel about anything, or anyone for that matter,

if it is a smart thing to do, or not, is another question,

since others will also have the right to dislike or like you back.

Beeing neutral or slightly positive is my advice to rephrase your profile text.

your log :

-----------

Yeah that was my first FTF, and yes I did enjoy it but at the same time I came to the realization that it was not worth the hassle. :)

It probably has something to do with this: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3W1DF

Either way happy caching. Hope you are able to make some impressive hides. Terrain 3-5 kind of stuff.

Edit: I don't want you to feel like I am picking on you, This is just a possible reason why you got this email. Try to work through this and maybe you will make a friend or at least defuse the situation rather than this being like another thread on these forums.

OK, so the OP has an inconsistent FTF philosophy. But the threat email may have nothing to do with FTF. Is it common to send "anonymous" threats due to profile text?

I hope the OP has forwarded all the email information to Groundspeak. And that's what to do next time something like this happens, NOT make a thread about it.

Edited by kunarion

your log :

-----------

I laughed when I saw that! To the OP: perhaps you should choose one or the other--the pic in your gallery about the joy of an early morning FTF or your anti-FTF philosophy statement. Choose one or the other. :laughing:

You might place a Premium Member Only cache and see what happens--you can see who visited the cache page. Place three or four that way, see if there's overlap in viewers and disappearing caches. Chances are, though, nothing will happen at all.

Like I said, that was my first FTF. I would never go through the hassle to do that again, it was that cache that made me realize that easy FTFs such as that are not worth it.

And remember my policy since has been to never FTF on the day it was published, and that wasn't even found on its first day.

OK, so the OP has an inconsistent FTF philosophy. But the “threat” email may have nothing to do with “FTF”. Is it common to send "anonymous" threats due to profile text?

I hope the OP has forwarded all the email information to Groundspeak. And that's what to do next time something like this happens, NOT make a thread about it.

No, I do not have inconsistent FTF philosphy. As I explained that was my first FTF!

And even that one was not found on its first day of publication.

People please get your facts straight.

No, I do not have inconsistent FTF philosphy. As I explained that was my first FTF!

You not only didn't explain, you insisted there was nothing more to the story. The facts are straight.

I met a guy at an event weekend east of Baltimore who almost threw a fit because some of the event participants had dared to go hunting for some of the new caches set out in conjunction with the events. He made sure to run out at the head of the pack because he had to be first. I swear he logged the event FTF, though if he did he edited that out later. Don't remember his handle. Samy guy? Or maybe there's something in the water down there.

It was a MAGC event, though, so if he was just some anti military nutjob, he was definitely running with the wrong crowd.

vicekitty, I was hoping for more drama on your profile than what I saw. "FTF = meh" isn't anything that should generate offense. Unless you're some sort of psycho that threatens to destroy caches. Ah, wait. I see it now.

vice kitty, I was hoping for more drama on your profile than what I saw. "FTF = meh" isn't anything that should generate offense. Unless you're some sort of psycho that threatens to destroy caches. Ah, wait. I see it now.

As long as a profile does not violate general standards of decency, there is nothing wrong with expressing opinions. Not everyone would agree with the views on my profile. A friend of mine uses his to state that he has changed his opinion on PMO caches. I suppose I could be offended by people who use their profile to proudly proclaim various statistics or group affiliations. But if we all thought alike then there would be no reason to talk - as Dylan said, talking to me would be the same as talking to you.

So I agree that I expected the profile to be far more dramatic. As it is, not liking the First to Find mania should make you popular with those who do. There is one less competitor.

That leaves the crazed psycho theory. If someone threatened to destroy a cache I placed, I would feel obligated to place some more. But not liking puzzles, I would go with wherigos or a 20 stage multi with 19 virtual stages.

You not only didn't explain, you insisted there was nothing more to the story. The facts are straight.

There is a lot of content flying around here so it is getting kinda confusing to keep up with you people. :)

That comment I made was in response to you saying that I am contridicting myself because my first FTF seems to contridict my current profile. And I have explained that is not the case.

Again, my first FTF log was just that, it does not reflect who I am now. And once again it was because of my first FTF that I started my policy on FTFs.

If I got an email like that, the first thing I'd do is go out and place an easy cache just to call his/her bluff.

If the cache was actually destroyed, forward all the particulars to Groundspeak with the added info about the cache being destroyed.

No one has any right to tell anyone they can't play the game. With a letter like that make them step up to the plate, and make good their threat, or slink away to whatever sewer they came from.

Are opinions by definition angsty? I sincerely hope not. Or is it simply that anyone's opinion that disagrees with your own is by definition angsty? Color me confused.

--Larry

With apologies to Inigo Montoya: Angst, you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :laughing:

If I got an email like that, the first thing I'd do is go out and place an easy cache just to call his/her bluff.

If the cache was actually destroyed, forward all the particulars to Groundspeak with the added info about the cache being destroyed.

No one has any right to tell anyone they can't play the game. With a letter like that make them step up to the plate, and make good their threat, or slink away to whatever sewer they came from.

This is probably what I would do to. I don't really care how you play, but do not try to tell me how to play, nor what to do for fun.

With apologies to Inigo Montoya: Angst, you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :laughing:

I agree 100% that the word has been misused in these forums; it has been for years. Since the word has taken on a bit of a new meaning here, I'm using the word as redefined. Using either the actual or the new definition, I still don't see any of it in my profile.

--Larry

--Larry

I've found in life that a lot of people would rather that you put on a mask and say "hi, how are you", "I'm fine", etc. They don't really want to hear the details of your life or opinions. If you say how you feel about something, then you're negative, or angsty, etc. I've learned to just smile and nod and not share as much as I used to. When I do decide to share, it's with the assurance within myself that at that moment, I don't care how people might react to what I say. I guess I have to be in the right mood or have to be talking to a person I semi trust. I used to naively overshare all the time and I got badly burned over the years until I woke up to society.

Well put. I have come to dislike putting on the mask so much that I often stay silent instead (or just skip the social event altogether), which certainly doesn't earn me any social points. :)

If someone threatened my caches, I wouldn't hide any more in the vicinity of where I thought the threat was coming from. I'd put it out some distance, in the toughest terrain I myself can traverse - make them work for it. I like the idea of the 20-stage multi mentioned above.

If you don't put out any caches then the person who sent the email will be successful. My response would be to build a multi-stage puzzle and place it out in an area where most LPC FTF hunters would not go. Sit back and see what happens. That one little question mark on the map may then grind at the emailer as you defied them... More than likely the person who sent it won't back it up....

Have some fun with it and don't take a cowardly email serious.

If the email was sent through geocaching.com (by a no reply address) then it can be tracked, but if it is sent from an email account, well nothing can be done. And either way if they want to bad enough they can find your caches. It may just be a bunch of bull$^*%. I;d try putting out a LnL and see what happens. No paintjob or anything creative/involving a lot of work in case it does get stolen. You could also change the name of the person that placed the geocache without changing your name.

I also don't see anything offensive in your profile, so there must be some back story. Someone you met, had an argument with. Not necessarily a geocacher, but they do know you geocache.

there doesnt always have to be more to the story.

OP, what did you do? Fess up. There's got to be more to the story than just what's on your profile.

As per your profile, I can't say I'm offended by it, but rather, perplexed. Why put negativity like that on your profile? I can't see the benefit.

there is no negativity on his profile actual i like his profile most people do not support first to finds and they to some people just arent something to go for or dont want to deal with people running there and having a party at the cache

doesnt always mean theres a hidden story behind it

Many do not realize that you need a thick skin to participate in the forums. You will never get 100% agreement with your opinions. It also helps to have an open mind.

you dont need think skin you need mature adults in the forums oh wait that doesnt happen:P but someone did threaten to take my cache away on the forums so i can understand the frustration

After some consideration, I have to wonder WHY someone would tell you they are going to 'mess' with your caches...even anonymously?

If I was planning something like that, I would just do it so you would get the full frustration of your caches going missing repeatedly.

after reading this i would wonder the same thing because someone threatened the same thing in the forums to us wonder whats going through an adults mind to say there going to come and steal your tupperware container just because you dont like first to finds or stealing it for any reason for that matter

OK, so the OP has an inconsistent FTF philosophy. But the “threat” email may have nothing to do with “FTF”. Is it common to send "anonymous" threats due to profile text?

or he can freely post in the forums as i was debating on posting something like this as someone said to me on the forums they were going to steal my cache

a matter for groudspeak in my experience they copy and past rules so they may not have been help :P

Many do not realize that you need a thick skin to participate in the forums. You will never get 100% agreement with your opinions. It also helps to have an open mind.

you dont need think skin you need mature adults in the forums oh wait that doesnt happen:P but someone did threaten to take my cache away on the forums so i can understand the frustration

Please provide documentation someone (probably with a think skin) threatened to steal your cache in these forums. :huh:

Please provide documentation someone (probably with a think skin) threatened to steal your cache in these forums. :huh:

and yes this person would have thin skin not thick actual i would love to trust me i wanted to copy and paste this right away and get the person who did it but i was on my tablet and with this tablet in the forums you can no t copy and paste so i was unable to get it before i got home one of the moderators or the guy himself deleted his message

after reading this i would wonder the same thing because someone threatened the same thing in the forums to us wonder whats going through an adults mind to say there going to come and steal your tupperware container just because you dont like first to finds or stealing it for any reason for that matter

There are two of you, right? Could you get the one that knows how to use punctuation to possibly teach the other?

OK, so the OP has an inconsistent FTF philosophy. But the threat email may have nothing to do with FTF. Is it common to send "anonymous" threats due to profile text?

or he can freely post in the forums as i was debating on posting something like this as someone said to me on the forums they were going to steal my cache

a matter for groudspeak in my experience they copy and past rules so they may not have been help :P

There are too many inconsistencies in the OPs story to warrant any other answer.

The OP performed some FTF drama, then contacted cachers via email and something in those emails caused the cachers to get mad at the OP, and they emailed to the OP a threat. Or the threat was no threat at all, a misunderstanding on the OPs part.

So my advice to the OP is to contact Groundspeak, not irritate cachers via email nor make a forum post when a reply arrives.

Edited by kunarion

There are too many inconsistencies in the OP’s story to warrant any other answer.

The OP performed some FTF drama, then contacted cachers via email and something in those emails caused the cachers to get mad at the OP, and they emailed to the OP a “threat”. Or the threat was no threat at all, a misunderstanding on the OP’s part.

So my advice to the OP is to contact Groundspeak, not irritate cachers via email nor make a forum post when a reply arrives.

You been trying to pick me apart since you been on this forum, and I have continually answered every thing that you have thrown at me. :)

Now you are off in the land of speculation. All of which is false.

Check this cache out GC437WC.

I FTF'd this cache a week after it was published, but anyway, if you look in the cache description you will see where the CO writes about how he received emails from people asking him to confirm that I found it.

What he doesn't say is how in those emails people were saying that I was lying about finding it!(The CO told me) These are the people I have to deal with in my area. I need not even speak to them for them to dislike me.

Edited by vicekitty

I read the cache page, vicekitty, and I don't think that people were asking for confirmation because you were the FTF. The next finders mention the cache migrating--whoever emailed might have done the same no matter who was the FTF. Sounds like it's a bit of a tricky hide.

I FTF'd this cache a week after it was published, but anyway, if you look in the cache description you will see where the CO writes about how he received emails from people asking him to confirm that I found it.

What he doesn't say is how in those emails people were saying that I was lying about finding it!(The CO told me) These are the people I have to deal with in my area. I need not even speak to them for them to dislike me.

Are you looking for caches or drama? I don't give a crap if you were FTF. Find the cache, sign the log, and move on.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

One side of geocaching is that the game is open to everyone. So there will be always some (luckily low) percentage of folks who seem to have no other aims in their poor lives than to struggle against someone whom they believe to be their enemy. This is their way of self-determination I guess. We have such people around here incuding anonymous cache stealers who used to send offensive messages to email and forums. Sadly we cannot do anything with them - just hope they would get bored and switch to some other object. It's no use of trying to guess any reason for such behaviour I think. Recently one of such people (not anonymous but very persistent in posting hate speech at discussion boards against me) was asked by one of "neutral" cachers about the reason. The answer was that about five years ago (as the offender stated) he went to some of my geocaches and found it muggled and that I wrote that he should call me in advance and be prepared to make maintenance for this cache. Of course I don't remember this story and the offender refused to tell what exactly geocache he spoke about. I doubt that such conversation happened at all. It sounds absurd. Nevertheless, since then the guy decided to oppose everything I've ever said or done. So, I believe you may never find out any reasonable arguement for such attitude. You may probably be FTF at some geocache an hour before someone who was very disappointed with this fact. You don't have to talk to them to dislike you. They simply need someone to do any harm to you because it keeps them feeling they're on the right side and doing something important.

Maybe you don't even realize it but you are taking jabs at your local caching community. Your logs and your commentary on your profile makes it sound like you think you are better than them because they only go after easy FTFs. Your log on the cache that had the bad coordinates reeks of entitlement as you say that your should be entitled to FTF honors because you were the first to look for it.

Of course, the reaction is off the grid. Nothing you do or say gives someone the right to steal caches or threaten you in any way. Why not simply remove yourself from the controversy? Tone down the rhetoric. Find caches and write about your experience, not about other geocachers. Don't compare yourself and your caching habits to other geocachers in your logs. Take the high road and you take away their reason to act badly.

Edited by Don_J

I smell pork chops.

I also seem to find a trend lately on the forums where people come in to complain about a situation, hope for an answer that they likely won't get, and expose what the root cause is simply through their posts in the thread.

There are "spiteful" geocachers out there, simply because there are "spiteful" humans in the world. Now, to call "them" out as spiteful, I'm wondering at what point the OP will step back and see how some of what they are getting defensive about might just be the mirror they need to look into?

OP, what did you do? Fess up. There's got to be more to the story than just what's on your profile.

As per your profile, I can't say I'm offended by it, but rather, perplexed. Why put negativity like that on your profile? I can't see the benefit.

I tend to agree. You say something first about "to each his own." Then you kind of "dis" FTF hounds. That's their thing - maybe they like the action & adrenaline rush. (You're ex-military - some people probably join the military because of the action, compared to a desk job.) Probably a hyper-sensitive FTF hound took offense.