Spiteful Geocachers

Just to get right to it, and I hope I am staying within forum guidelines, is it just me or is it a reality of geocaching that some geocachers are a temperamental lot to deal with?

To give a little back story, I recently received an anonymous email from someone stating that, "if you ever put any geocaches out I will steal and destroy them so don't waste your time." It would be futile to report it to gc.com being that the emails are anonymous. So short of moving out of the area or making a new account/screen name, which I refuse to do, I guess I won't be able to put any caches out. The sender also went on to say that he/she was offended by my geocaching profile. Really!?! Please if you are reading my post please view my profile and tell me if it is that bad.

Anyway, is dealing with people like this a common occurrence in the geocaching community?

Also I do have one cache out that is located in Philadelphia, which is way out of my home area of Baltimore where I suspect the would be cache thief to be.

You can hide a cache using a different "placed by" name, however that can be clicked on and would take someone to your profile.

Keep that email, do not reply to it, but let geocaching.com know about it. The IP address can be traced, as is stated on email sent through the site.

I received scam/phishing email, supposedly from my bank, and the simple act of printing the email revealed an email address. The bank had that and it went to the fraud department. Nothing is anonymous on the internet if they can, Groundspeak will help you.

All the best, and happy caching - us cats have to stick together!!

Yes, report it. They can IP block (as good as IP blocks go...easy ways around it though). This is one of those times I actually appreciate GS...cause no one should have to deal with that.

It can only be reported to groundpeak if the email came through the geocaching site. Since the OP said it was anonymous, I assume that the email came through their personal email account (?).

If the email was sent through geocaching.com (by a no reply address) then it can be tracked, but if it is sent from an email account, well nothing can be done. And either way if they want to bad enough they can find your caches. It may just be a bunch of bull$^*%. I;d try putting out a LnL and see what happens. No paintjob or anything creative/involving a lot of work in case it does get stolen. You could also change the name of the person that placed the geocache without changing your name.

I also don't see anything offensive in your profile, so there must be some back story. Someone you met, had an argument with. Not necessarily a geocacher, but they do know you geocache.

Just to get right to it, and I hope I am staying within forum guidelines, is it just me or is it a reality of geocaching that some geocachers are a temperamental lot to deal with?

To give a little back story, I recently received an anonymous email from someone stating that, "if you ever put any geocaches out I will steal and destroy them so don't waste your time." It would be futile to report it to gc.com being that the emails are anonymous. So short of moving out of the area or making a new account/screen name, which I refuse to do, I guess I won't be able to put any caches out. The sender also went on to say that he/she was offended by my geocaching profile. Really!?! Please if you are reading my post please view my profile and tell me if it is that bad.

Anyway, is dealing with people like this a common occurrence in the geocaching community?

Also I do have one cache out that is located in Philadelphia, which is way out of my home area of Baltimore where I suspect the would be cache thief to be.

How could you know where an anonymously emailing "cache thief" could be? How could they match your profile to an email address? Anyway, a new screen name won't matter -- unless you change your email address (through your Internet provider).

Edited by kunarion

If the email was sent through geocaching.com (by a no reply address) then it can be tracked, but if it is sent from an email account, well nothing can be done. And either way if they want to bad enough they can find your caches. It may just be a bunch of bull$^*%. I;d try putting out a LnL and see what happens. No paintjob or anything creative/involving a lot of work in case it does get stolen. You could also change the name of the person that placed the geocache without changing your name.

I also don't see anything offensive in your profile, so there must be some back story. Someone you met, had an argument with. Not necessarily a geocacher, but they do know you geocache.

I can tell you that there is no more back story than what I said. But anyway my theory is that I must have riled up one of the local FTF hounds. When I created my profile I was not trying to offend anyone, I was just stating my personal feelings on FTF's. No malice intended toward anyone.

How could you know where an anonymously emailing "cache thief" could be? How could they match your profile to an email address? Anyway, a new screen name won't matter -- unless you change your email address.

It is an educated guess on my part that whoever sent the email lives in my area. I almost exclusively geocache in the Baltimore area, so unless it was someone who was randomly looking through geocaching profiles and was offended, logically I would suspect it would be someone in my area.

I forgot to add this in my original post, but I believe that whoever sent the email was someone that I conversed with before. So that is how they have my email address. And that is how I further suspect it is one of the local FTF hounds.

Someone has an issue with you because they don't like your profile? :unsure:

That is totally insane. :huh:

Really, totally howling at the moon pissing on themselves insane. :wacko:

Put out some really convoluted and devious puzzles and see how they like those apples.

Of course, anyone else who asks for help would get some.

How could you know where an anonymously emailing "cache thief" could be? How could they match your profile to an email address? Anyway, a new screen name won't matter -- unless you change your email address.

It is an educated guess on my part that whoever sent the email lives in my area. I almost exclusively geocache in the Baltimore area, so unless it was someone who was randomly looking through geocaching profiles and was offended, logically I would suspect it would be someone in my area.

I forgot to add this in my original post, but I believe that whoever sent the email was someone that I conversed with before. So that is how they have my email address. And that is how I further suspect it is one of the local FTF hounds.

OK, go check the IP address then! And if you don't know how, tell us what type of email you use and we can tell you how. :D

I further suspect it is one of the local FTF hounds.

How do you know what offended them? I'm thinking along the lines of what "The_Incredibles_" said. What if you change your profile to "Geocaching is fun"? :ph34r:

By the way, I do think you're correct to say that some geocachers are a temperamental lot to deal with.

Edited by kunarion

OP, what did you do? Fess up. There's got to be more to the story than just what's on your profile.

As per your profile, I can't say I'm offended by it, but rather, perplexed. Why put negativity like that on your profile? I can't see the benefit.

I tell you there is no more story to it, I never had any issues with any geocacher.

But the motivation behind my profile was that I always see other people making FTF's and boastfully proclaiming in their logs that they "signed the fresh/blank log" or "found at 6:00am". And IMO saying such things is way worst than what I said in my profile because geocaching isn't about making FTF's.

"signed the fresh/blank log" or "found at 6:00am". And IMO saying such things is way worst than what I said in my profile because geocaching isn't about making FTF's.

But in the context of the "temperamental lot", typing the above styled logs is important. It helps clear up any misunderstandings. I caused some drama one time by simply stating "this was my first cache of the day". I didn't think I was claiming "FTF", I meant that I had found no other caches in the past 24 hours, but the guy who was FTF definitely seemed a little confused by my log.

I now simply try to avoid as many issues as possible with the "temperamental lot".

Edited by kunarion

Here's the rub....

You say that you rec'd an anonymous email. You do not display your email address on your profile. Therefore, I am guessing that the email came through the geocaching.com website/your profile link.

Given those "facts", there is no way that the email is or can be anonymous (to Groundspeak personnel), that is the reason why the email was routed through geocaching.com so that it can't be (totally) anonymous. I think you'd better report this to Groundspeak. It may be purely a ruse, it may not be. Either way, the Frog takes a dim view of these types of happenings. They could very well pinpoint the user that it came from, at least their account, if not the person. And... if you are concerned about the content, their server holds the email (content), just in case.

You must've really PO'd somebody... or they already know you (my guess) and know how to get under your skin.

Your profile includes an editorial which I have to assume is directed at someone or some situation. I don't have a problem with that but you can't be surprised that someone chose to respond to it. It also tells me there is more to this story.

Like I said in my other posts there is no more to this story. And if there is any editorial in my profile it would be that I don't understand why people get up at 5am every day so they can dash out the door and drive 20 miles to get an LPC.

OP, what did you do? Fess up. There's got to be more to the story than just what's on your profile.

As per your profile, I can't say I'm offended by it, but rather, perplexed. Why put negativity like that on your profile? I can't see the benefit.

I tell you there is no more story to it, I never had any issues with any geocacher.

But the motivation behind my profile was that I always see other people making FTF's and boastfully proclaiming in their logs that they "signed the fresh/blank log" or "found at 6:00am". And IMO saying such things is way worst than what I said in my profile because geocaching isn't about making FTF's.

If someone is riled at you for your opinion about FTFs, and threatening to sabotage your caches, I wonder what they would threaten me with if they read my profile? I'm a whole lot more opinionated in mine, yet I've never had any complaints, let alone threats about it.

Bottom line, your profile is fine, and unless there's some back story we don't know about, the person doing the threatening is way out of line. I've been caching for almost seven years, and I've never run across this situation, so I have to assume it's not very common. Good luck!

--Larry

Yes, I believe it would be someone you conversed with before, and had your email address.

Forget about all these people telling you about this IP address nonsense. Anyone can send an untraceable email on the internet. Let me Google that for you

Here's the rub....

You say that you rec'd an anonymous email. You do not display your email address on your profile. Therefore, I am guessing that the email came through the geocaching.com website/your profile link.

Given those "facts", there is no way that the email is or can be anonymous (to Groundspeak personnel), that is the reason why the email was routed through geocaching.com so that it can't be (totally) anonymous. I think you'd better report this to Groundspeak. It may be purely a ruse, it may not be. Either way, the Frog takes a dim view of these types of happenings. They could very well pinpoint the user that it came from, at least their account, if not the person. And... if you are concerned about the content, their server holds the email (content), just in case.

You must've really PO'd somebody... or they already know you (my guess) and know how to get under your skin.

I don't know if you missed one of my previous posts, but I did say that I believe that it was someone that I previously talked to so they would have my email address. It would have to be.

Not common, but it happens. I think we've been lucky in my area, because we've only had one angsty situation in the last few years (which became high-profile when it spilled over into the forums). I keep reading about other nasty situations in the regions surrounding me, but everyone around here seems to get along.

I find that things like what you received are usually hollow threats. I do like AZcachemeister's idea, though. Make up some really tough puzzle, so the low-life can't just go to the posted coordinates to muggle the cache. Either that, or put out a cheap traditional and see what happens. Then you'd know whether you need to be at all concerned about them or not.

Yes, I believe it would be someone you conversed with before, and had your email address.

Forget about all these people telling you about this IP address nonsense. Anyone can send an untraceable email on the internet. Let me Google that for you

Thank you for making that. [:)]

Your profile includes an editorial which I have to assume is directed at someone or some situation. I don't have a problem with that but you can't be surprised that someone chose to respond to it. It also tells me there is more to this story.

Like I said in my other posts there is no more to this story. And if there is any editorial in my profile it would be that I don't understand why people get up at 5am every day so they can dash out the door and drive 20 miles to get an LPC.

Okay, the person might not have shared their angst until now and maybe it has nothing to do with your opinion concerning ftf. As I see it, your choices are to remove the FTF comments, contact your local email provider, hide caches that are so difficult that the person decides it's just not worth it.

Okay, ya beat me to it.

I've copied a couple addresses from people I email frequently, finding it easier to include 'em in my email addresses than trying to find them and all on this site.

So yeah, I could see that happening, but the IP adress should give Groundspeak a clue. Send them a copy.

Other than the pic :rolleyes: , I did notice you mention FTF a lot and your profile kinda matches what you said about them in another thread. It's possible (I guess) that you managed to tick off a local FTF hound, who is upset that his finds aren't deemed "worthy" (as you say).

You must realize that everyone plays the game a little differently. Although you may believe that FTFs shouldn't be part of Geocaching, others may place a higher importance to it. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything like that. I'm just saying that people may enjoy different aspects of the game that you may not enjoy. That said, there is no excuse for someone to threaten you like that.

If someone is riled at you for your opinion about FTFs, and threatening to sabotage your caches, I wonder what they would threaten me with if they read my profile? I'm a whole lot more opinionated in mine, yet I've never had any complaints, let alone threats about it.

Bottom line, your profile is fine, and unless there's some back story we don't know about, the person doing the threatening is way out of line. I've been caching for almost seven years, and I've never run across this situation, so I have to assume it's not very common. Good luck!

--Larry

My little profile cannot even compare to yours. :) So I definitely am not going to change anything about mine!

I think I am done with forums. It seems that you can make more enemies than friends on here.

I'm not the one threatening your caches, you're the one who chose to admire the fellow angst-profile cacher. Excuse me if I don't take the blame for that.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think I am done with forums. It seems that you can make more enemies than friends on here.

I'm not the one threatening your caches, you're the one who chose to admire the fellow angst-profile cacher. Excuse me if I don't take the blame for that.

His profile is "angst" in its etiology. Certainly not mine as you wrongfully perceive it. :)

So that is why I am not changing my profile because mine is innocent compared to his "angst" profile.

Sorry, I thought steal and destroy was a serious issue.

Edit: Excuse me, in your case. I'm out.

It is a serious issue, but even still its not something I will lose sleep about. I just won't put any caches out in my area. I just think it sucks that I won't be able to give back to the geocaching community in my home area. The area where I cache the most.

Also I do like the idea of putting out a hard puzzle cache, but I am not a puzzler. So is there anyone on here that might be able to help me make one? I do have some ideas for one, but I guess I need the concept to be beta tested.

I just won't put any caches out in my area.

I still think you should just ignore the email and place one anyway. Make it cheap, and in an easy to access location so you can visit it easily. If it goes a while without being disturbed, you'll know the guy was just blowing smoke and you can hide caches to your heart's content. I would never let a single email dictate what I want to do.

...and I think you may be reading too much into some of the posts in here. With possibly a couple of exceptions, every post in here seems to be supporting you. Don't let this discussion chase you away from the forums. We're really not that bad once you get to know us! :lol:

I just won't put any caches out in my area.

I still think you should just ignore the email and place one anyway. Make it cheap, and in an easy to access location so you can visit it easily. If it goes a while without being disturbed, you'll know the guy was just blowing smoke and you can hide caches to your heart's content. I would never let a single email dictate what I want to do.

...and I think you may be reading too much into some of the posts in here. With possibly a couple of exceptions, every post in here seems to be supporting you. Don't let this discussion chase you away from the forums. We're really not that bad once you get to know us! :lol:

Yeah I probably will put out one, but I think I should wait a little longer to do so.

And you were right I was getting a lot of support in the forums, and as one poster said you got to have a little thick skin when posting in these forums.

Does anyone else, besides BlueDuece (and apparently vicekitty), see any particular angst in my profile? I expressed my opinions about geocaching in what I thought (still think) was a calm and reasoned manner. And I carefully avoided claiming that any other way was somehow inferior. This is the first time (referring to BlueDeuce's comment) that anyone that I know of has read it in any other way.

Are opinions by definition angsty? I sincerely hope not. Or is it simply that anyone's opinion that disagrees with your own is by definition angsty? Color me confused.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230