NPS and Geocaching

Guest defyke

Guest defyke

There's been much discussion of NPS' unwillingness to allow geocaches in the parks.

I understand their major concerns of protecting the environment, controlling activities, and not letting the nose of the camel into the tent. (They certainly don't want some things left in caches so they need to stop everything.)

How about a simple compromise?

I suggest we discuss possible geocaching ethics. We already encourage each other to clean up any trash we find and that's probably number 1. But how about this?

If the cache is in a national park, we have these rules:

a. We do not leave anything or take anything.

b. The cache itself could be a unique stamp that we can stamp onto our own log book.

c. The size of the 'cache' could be limited to the plastic container a roll of 35mm film comes in and should hold the stamp.

d. A unique code or password can be in the cache and we could use that to log our find at the cache's web site.

e. The cache must be within reach of an established trail so that we don't create a new one and we could hide it under a stone, in a log, etc.

If we could ensure that nothing would be disturbed in the park, we can use geocaching for all the good reasons we do now and still have the pleasure of a good find.

Can anyone with the NPS discuss this issue with us?

Guest Snowtrail

Did the NPS deny leaving something in the shelters? I know on the AT there are registers where thru-hikers can sign in. You might be able to leave something in it like a stamp or codeword and place it in the already recognized log book in the shelter. I realize that this may not be an option in a lot of places, but it would reduce wear and tear in fragile places in the area.

Guest WrongWay

Funny note here. I noticed an ad in Backpacker magazine for a thing called:

"Backpacker's Cache - Bear Resistant Food Container"

-Protects food from wild animals

-Tested & used by the Nat'l Park Service

Ha ! What is this ?

I called the maufacturer and the nice lady that helped me said that the NPS uses them in their "Bear Program" not sure what that is but she is going to send me some info.

Something's not right here, either the manufacture made that up, or the NPS has a double standard...

Jim

Guest Robereno

When we go backpacking in the Sierras (bear country), the park rangers are very concerned about discouraging the bears from taking food from campers. Lately they?ve been offering to rent or sell food storage containers. Small barrel like containers that have been tested and are considered to be bear proof. I think that?s what the article is talking about. Not a bad idea if you?ve ever tried to hang your food after being caught after dark in the rain.

The containers are kind of heavy for back packing and as I recall, very expensive.

quote:
Originally posted by WrongWay:

Funny note here. I noticed an ad in Backpacker magazine for a thing called:

"Backpacker's Cache - Bear Resistant Food Container"

-Protects food from wild animals

-Tested & used by the Nat'l Park Service

Ha ! What is this ?

I called the maufacturer and the nice lady that helped me said that the NPS uses them in their "Bear Program" not sure what that is but she is going to send me some info.

Something's not right here, either the manufacture made that up, or the NPS has a double standard...

Jim

Guest Snowtrail

In the Great Smokies, (black bear country) the park service uses bear canisters on occasion, but I have seen some ripped open anyway. Can't stop a hungry bear.

They just took down the fences on the lean-tos. It was a nice 3 sided stone structure with a tin roof and a metal fence on the fiurth side that had a pad lock. Campers locked themselves in, bears out. But, people would feed the bears through the fence thinking they were safe. So the park service removed the fences for the protection of the bears. People are less likely to feed the bears if they don't think they are protected.