[FEATURE] It's time for a new cache type

wuliwup

I propose a new Event Type: Group Hunt

This would be a new event type - allowing people to organize a group of geocachers to get together for a group hunt for caches in a specific area, trail, or park.

I realize that the "Groundspeak rules" would have to be loosened to allow this to happen - but think about it for a minute - what is so different about sitting in a pizza joint to talk about caching for an hour versus gathering a group of geocachers together to go look for a bunch of caches?

It gives new geocachers a chance to meet others and attempt caches that they would never dream of trying by themselves.

Sure, some Cache Owners of "impossible" caches - intentionally difficult to find - will not love the idea, but those of us spending hours and hours befuddled would love others to share our grief/appreciation for the cache. (maybe add an attribute "no group hunt" for those "special" caches but that would be hard to enforce since anyone can join forces with a few others to go get a cache anytime)

The organizer would set a date and time and area for the Group Hunt and anyone interested could join in.

The safety and comraderie of going out into the woods with a group is fantastic.

Sure, Meetup or Facebook, or email lists could attempt to do this, but none would have the impact of geocaching.com - you can only reach out and invite those you already know with those other mediums - but with geocaching.com, you can reach out to any geocachers in the area - or visiting the area around the group hunt timeframe.

"Calling All Cachers" - Group Hunt - 6/1/2013 - 8am to noon - Meet at posted cords at ________Park - Let's Go Caching Together...

I like this, although I'd reckon it would be more to the point to throw out the guideline about events not being to gather groups of cachers to go caching than to create it as a new cache type.

As you say it's daft to allow a "cache" to consist of a bunch of people sitting around in the pub and not going out caching, while requiring the "event cache" type to talk about caching without actually going out and doing any.

Perhaps an event cache could cover both talking about caching and actually going caching as part of a group, with the cache text clearly stating which it is.

The only concern I'd have is with unexpectedly large groups of people descending on areas that would struggle to cope - if something is as open-invite as an event cache numbers could potentially get out of hand. We might hope that an organiser wouldn't lead a huge group into a sensitive area, but then we might also hope that cachers wouldn't do stuff like pulling the stones out of a dry stone wall to look for a cache.

This would be a new event type - allowing people to organize a group of geocachers to get together for a group hunt for caches in a specific area, trail, or park.

I realize that the "Groundspeak rules" would have to be loosened to allow this to happen - but think about it for a minute - what is so different about sitting in a pizza joint to talk about caching for an hour versus gathering a group of geocachers together to go look for a bunch of caches?

I'd kinda like to see this too, though I don't enjoy group caching myself.

Makes the ones already doing this legit.

It happens often enough North of me, where events are held and a planned group forms later to cache.

The Reviewer seems to approve "Dinner and night caching" as the event name for a few, which kinda shows what the event's for and the discription does say, "Afterward, for those who would like to join us, we have a night caching adventure planned" on the event page.

- Maybe it's all added later...

- But the guidelines do state, "An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list."

- Something like you suggest might have enough discussion for it's own thread, as there's a big difference between having a guideline "loosened" and thrown out entirely.

Local cachers around here have set up such things many times, but our reviewers would never accept an event name such as above. The description for the events make it clear that this is an extra activity that attendees, or non-attendees can join in on after the event is officially over and those attending the event are not required to participate. Of course the idea is to get cachers together to go on a caching hike, but the event does stand on it's own with many attending having no desire to join in on the extra activities. I have read here that in some review areas that this simply isn't allowed, but our reviewers have always given us some latitude as long as an actual geocaching event, as defined by the guidelines, does occur.

I think it's now time to establish a new cache-type. I know that the virtuals will not come back and I also think for examples "QR-Code Caches" are not a good idea (we don't need a Munzee clone here). But what's about an own cache-type for "Challange Caches" with an own icon? Do you have ideas for another new cache-types? If yes, please make a suggestion in this forum! Or do you think, that at the moment there is no necessity of "Geocaching" innovations?

I am all for a new icon for challenge caches. I love doing the challenges, but they are impossible to find. The challenge caches are not really puzzles as the cache is located at the posted coordinates. They are very specific and have a whole list of criteria that a challenge cache must meet before it can be considered a challenge. I don't think it belongs in the puzzle category at all.

I agree. I don't like riddle-caches, but I like Challenge-Caches. A Challenge-Cache has nothing to do with a puzzle-cache. There are a few private bookmark-lists, but they can't show all Challenge-Caches. It's nearly impossible to find Challenge-Caches in a specific region so please add an icon for this cache-type.

It gives new geocachers a chance to meet others and attempt caches that they would never dream of trying by themselves.

Sure, some Cache Owners of "impossible" caches - intentionally difficult to find - will not love the idea, but those of us spending hours and hours befuddled would love others to share our grief/appreciation for the cache. (maybe add an attribute "no group hunt" for those "special" caches but that would be hard to enforce since anyone can join forces with a few others to go get a cache anytime)

The organizer would set a date and time and area for the Group Hunt and anyone interested could join in.

The safety and comraderie of going out into the woods with a group is fantastic.

Sure, Meetup or Facebook, or email lists could attempt to do this, but none would have the impact of geocaching.com - you can only reach out and invite those you already know with those other mediums - but with geocaching.com, you can reach out to any geocachers in the area - or visiting the area around the group hunt timeframe.

"Calling All Cachers" - Group Hunt - 6/1/2013 - 8am to noon - Meet at posted cords at ________Park - Let's Go Caching Together...

Starting as a new feature request thread per feedback ...

The challenge caches are not really puzzles as the cache is located at the posted coordinates.

That's not true. There are challenge caches that involve puzzles and also multi part challenge caches are feasible. There is no requirement

at all that challenge caches need to be hidden at the posted coordinates.

Cezanne

I think it's now time to establish a new cache-type. I know that the virtuals will not come back and I also think for examples "QR-Code Caches" are not a good idea (we don't need a Munzee clone here). But what's about an own cache-type for "Challange Caches" with an own icon? Do you have ideas for another new cache-types? If yes, please make a suggestion in this forum! Or do you think, that at the moment there is no necessity of "Geocaching" innovations?

HISTORICAL CACHES

as earth caches, historical caches could be a great alternative to know the history of a city, a building, a particular site or someone influential of that particular place. It could refer to the same process of an earth cache, just think about those different historical tables placed in the cities of the world.

it would be a great way to get to know the environment in which you're geocaching and like the earth caches knowing about new places that we would never have visited otherwise.

HISTORICAL CACHES

as earth caches, historical caches could be a great alternative to know the history of a city, a building, a particular site or someone influential of that particular place. It could refer to the same process of an earth cache, just think about those different historical tables placed in the cities of the world.

it would be a great way to get to know the environment in which you're geocaching and like the earth caches knowing about new places that we would never have visited otherwise.

Yes! I've thought this way for some time. Only problem I see is that people would want to place every historical marker as a HISTORICAL CACHE. But then half of them at least already have a micro cache stuck on them or sometimes a regular size one hidden nearby.

HISTORICAL CACHES

Yes! I've thought this way for some time. Only problem I see is that people would want to place every historical marker as a HISTORICAL CACHE. But then half of them at least already have a micro cache stuck on them or sometimes a regular size one hidden nearby.

I can see this working! It does sound like a good idea. Maybe it's own reviewing system like Earthcaches? Or even it's own reviewers! I know some places of interest that could be included. It could kind of be a new start for virtuals (which is good!) and another upside is less micros!

HISTORICAL CACHES

I can see this working! It does sound like a good idea. Maybe it's own reviewing system like Earthcaches? Or even it's own reviewers! I know some places of interest that could be included. It could kind of be a new start for virtuals (which is good!) and another upside is less micros!

As I've written the many other times there has been a suggestion for a Historical Cache type, this is never going to happen unless some official historical organization steps up to the plate and supports this cache type in the same manner that the GSA has supported Earth caches. The Geological Society of America not only helped (or created) the guidelines for an Earthcache but acts as the official reviewing body for all Earthcaches that are published. If Historical caches are ever going to be created as a new cache type some sort of Historical Society to going to have to take on the same role so that no additional burden is added for the current Geocaching.com reviewers.

So what about this? (sorry for imperfect english)

Racing-event cache

s9tjawuv7i3jdi1d5sh5.png

Racing-event cache is gathering of geocachers held for racing. Teamwork may be required.

Rules:

Racing-event cache is oriented to outdoor games. Tests, raffles and related activities shouldn't be published like racing-event. Meeting of all participants at the same time isn't required, but each participant should be participate in the race. Using GPS may be required.

Listing-exaple:

nqwxhprbct37yok2ihic.png Vavrda's memorial

An racing-event cache by player Event Date: 06/26/2011

Difficulty: stars4.gif Terrain: stars4_5.gif

Size: not_chosen.gif

At this race you should ride the entire route on bike with two helpers. You start at coordinates (X) and go watter to coordinates (Y). There'll be stage with coordinates of next waypoint. At this waypoint will be control, writes you and you will continue to finish. Team with the fastest time wins.

3rnsnfj4dhhb7ullqe22.png

Team - Start time

Team 1 - 8am

Team 2 - 9am

Team 3 - 10am

Racing-event cache

s9tjawuv7i3jdi1d5sh5.png

Racing-event cache is gathering of geocachers held for racing. Teamwork may be required.

Rules:

Racing-event cache is oriented to outdoor games. Tests, raffles and related activities shouldn't be published like racing-event. Meeting of all participants at the same time isn't required, but each participant should be participate in the race. Using GPS may be required.

Listing-exaple:

At this race you should ride the entire route on bike with two helpers. You start at coordinates (X) and go watter to coordinates (Y). There'll be stage with coordinates of next waypoint. At this waypoint will be control, writes you and you will continue to finish. Team with the fastest time wins.

3rnsnfj4dhhb7ullqe22.png

Team - Start time

Team 1 - 8am

Team 2 - 9am

Team 3 - 10am

I would totally do this! Great idea. This one could work really well and I like the listing example!

We have one similar in our area, where teams compete against each other.

Each stage in the event has puzzle pieces that need to be applied to get coordinates to the final - and proclaim the winner.

Each team starts at the rally point, then heads off to a different stage, most miles away from each other, so they're not bumping into each other all day.

- Usually do anyway if someone doesn't up their pace. :lol:

They end up again at the rally point for congrats, prizes and pizza or something.

About six years so far and most, though beat afterwards, seem to have fun.

Racing-event cache

s9tjawuv7i3jdi1d5sh5.png

Rules:

Listing-exaple:

3rnsnfj4dhhb7ullqe22.png

Team - Start time

Team 1 - 8am

Team 2 - 9am

Team 3 - 10am

Sooooo- a bit like an Orienteering meet?

I think-

That for airports, and only airports, a type of cache, like a virtual.

The way this would work would be a bit like a well-known QR game. There would be a sign (somewhere in the airport) with GC code, Cache name, and a code which you will need to enter on the site when logging.

This would prevent huge security scares, and mean a stepping point for trackables.

This would need approval from the people who run the airport, but that wouldn't be too hard to attain.

Edited by redants

I think-

The way this would work would be a bit like a well-known QR game. There would be a sign with GC code, Cache name, a QR code, and a code which you will need to enter on the site when logging (stuck to a window).

This would prevent huge security scares, and mean a stepping point for trackables.

This would need approval from the people who run the airport, but that wouldn't be too hard to attain.

I don't think it's a bad idea, though I'd still like to see a use of a GPS requirement rather than "go to the Brookstone store". IMHO, any new cache type should be location based and require the use of a GPS as an integral aspect for finding "the cache". The problem then is ensuring that there is adequate satellite reception where "the cache" is placed.

BTW, I've found two caches *in* airports. One was a virtual in Frankfurt, Germany and the other was a traditional cache in Changi airport in Singapore (arguably one of the best airports in the world).

I think-

The way this would work would be a bit like a well-known QR game. There would be a sign with GC code, Cache name, a QR code, and a code which you will need to enter on the site when logging (stuck to a window).

I don't think it's a bad idea, though I'd still like to see a use of a GPS requirement rather than "go to the Brookstone store". IMHO, any new cache type should be location based and require the use of a GPS as an integral aspect for finding "the cache". The problem then is ensuring that there is adequate satellite reception where "the cache" is placed.

BTW, I've found two caches *in* airports. One was a virtual in Frankfurt, Germany and the other was a traditional cache in Changi airport in Singapore (arguably one of the best airports in the world).

It's a terrible idea. If someone wants to go play the QR game, then go play it. I see no need to water down Geocaching just so someone can claim a find in a new area without really finding a cache.

If security is an issue, then maybe a cache doesn't belong there. Not every spot on the Earth needs a cache.

I think-

The way this would work would be a bit like a well-known QR game. There would be a sign (somewhere in the airport) with GC code, Cache name, and a code which you will need to enter on the site when logging.

I'm not sure that permission from the airport management wouldn't be anything other than impossible to secure. Why would they want potentially hundreds of people who aren't flying coming through the airport, adding to congestion within the airport without generating any revenue for the airport, just to play what they'd probably regard as a silly game? If you put it on the land side of security you'll inevitably have people visiting just to find the cool new cache (and since airports tend to be in populated areas you'd potentially have a lot of people visiting). If you put it on the air side you'll have fewer visits and maintenance would become nigh on impossible.

Practically speaking it could be as simple as a sticker on a window. Logistically speaking all I'd say is good luck getting permission to place it.

The obvious question it invites is, why only airports? Why not honour our favourite military bases with a quasi-virtual cache? What about reservoirs, primary schools, railway tracks and other places where physical caches aren't allowed for a pile of reasons bundled under "security issues"?

Racing-event cache

s9tjawuv7i3jdi1d5sh5.png

Rules:

Listing-exaple:

3rnsnfj4dhhb7ullqe22.png

Team - Start time

Team 1 - 8am

Team 2 - 9am

Team 3 - 10am

Sooooo- a bit like an Orienteering meet?

Yes, but not always. Just all outdoor games.

My $0.02:

The Mystery Cache category is intended as a catch-all, where various ideas can be developed that don't fit into the other established categories. I think that implies that from time to time, some of those ideas will become developed to the point that they should be defined as new categories. I think at least the following types of caches could be candidates for their own category:

- Challenge Caches. There are certainly enough of them and they are unique enough and the concept is well-defined.

- Field Puzzles. This is also a well-defined concept that some people might want to specialize in and others might want to avoid. Having a separate category facilitates that.

- "Home" Puzzles. I just made this term up, but it's meant to describe the type of puzzle cache where you have to solve the puzzle first (at home), before you know where to go.

I also think the following cache types which are currently part of the multi category could be spun off:

- Offset caches, where the coordinates of the final are computed by applying a given offset to the published coordinates, could become their own new type.

- Offset caches, where some information at the published coordinates is used to calculate the offset, would fall into the Field Puzzles category described above.

This would leave the multi category as only those caches where there are two or more physical containers, each (but the last) containing the coordinates of the next.

While I'm on my soapbox, there are a few existing cache types I wish would go away:

Wherigo caches, which require special software that's currently only available on Pocket PCs and two models of Garmin GPSs, and which are more of an adventure game than a cache hunt. I think these should go the way of Waymarking and benchmarking; that is, become an independent sport rather than be a part of geocaching.

Events are not caches at all. I think it's great that we have them, and it's fine that we recognize attendance in some way, but not as a cache find. Virtual, reverse, and webcam caches all went away because there was no container to find, and the guidelines for hiding caches emphasize that "geocaches are placed for the long term." Why do these philosophies not also apply to events?

The "10-year event" type obviously needs to go away, since there can never be any more such caches placed or found.

The "APE" type is another relic of the past that should have long ago been mothballed. I know, there's still one left to find, but there's nothing any more special about it than any other cache that old. Make it a Traditional and get rid of the special type.

Racing-event cache

s9tjawuv7i3jdi1d5sh5.png

Rules:

Listing-exaple:

3rnsnfj4dhhb7ullqe22.png

Team - Start time

Team 1 - 8am

Team 2 - 9am

Team 3 - 10am

Still no conflicting post there, still no response from Groundspeak, so maybe it's time to wake this topic. I think it wouldn't be good if our ideas will be forgotten.

My $0.02:

The Mystery Cache category is intended as a catch-all, where various ideas can be developed that don't fit into the other established categories. I think that implies that from time to time, some of those ideas will become developed to the point that they should be defined as new categories. I think at least the following types of caches could be candidates for their own category:

- Challenge Caches. There are certainly enough of them and they are unique enough and the concept is well-defined.

- Field Puzzles. This is also a well-defined concept that some people might want to specialize in and others might want to avoid. Having a separate category facilitates that.

- "Home" Puzzles. I just made this term up, but it's meant to describe the type of puzzle cache where you have to solve the puzzle first (at home), before you know where to go.

I understand the desire to separate out challenge caches or puzzle with bogus coordinates from the other mystery types.

There are plenty of what you call "home" puzzles, where the coordinates need to be determined before you got to find the cache. In fact, before ALRs and Challenges, these so dominated the mystery/unknown category that many people consider these to be puzzle caches. People may want to handle these puzzles in special ways (ignore all of them or keep a list of which ones they have solved).

The challenges caches seem to also be ones where people keep track of which challenge they qualify for, which they are working on, etc. Generally you can find challenges because they have the word CHALLENGE in the title, but perhaps there would be better ways to track them if they were a separate type or had a special attribute.

On point of a catch all is to handle odd situations, like combinations - multi with field puzzle, a puzzle first stage to a a multi, a challenge with a puzzle or multi. Creating more types tend to confuse people about which to use if the cache seems to fit in two categories.

I also think the following cache types which are currently part of the multi category could be spun off:

- Offset caches, where the coordinates of the final are computed by applying a given offset to the published coordinates, could become their own new type.

- Offset caches, where some information at the published coordinates is used to calculate the offset, would fall into the Field Puzzles category described above.

This would leave the multi category as only those caches where there are two or more physical containers, each (but the last) containing the coordinates of the next.

I don't see any reason for spinning off offsets. There seems to a an issue here between physical stages and virtual ones. I've done many multis with both physical and virtual stages and if you were to try and separated these you'd have that problem again of caches that fit nicely in the current multi cache definition that would be lost with no place to put them.

While I'm on my soapbox, there are a few existing cache types I wish would go away:

Wherigo caches, which require special software that's currently only available on Pocket PCs and two models of Garmin GPSs, and which are more of an adventure game than a cache hunt. I think these should go the way of Waymarking and benchmarking; that is, become an independent sport rather than be a part of geocaching.

There are Wherigo Players for both i-phone and Android devices. I see these as no different than caches that require special equipment or a TOTT. Only these have their own type so they're easy to ignore.

Events are not caches at all. I think it's great that we have them, and it's fine that we recognize attendance in some way, but not as a cache find. Virtual, reverse, and webcam caches all went away because there was no container to find, and the guidelines for hiding caches emphasize that "geocaches are placed for the long term." Why do these philosophies not also apply to events?

The "10-year event" type obviously needs to go away, since there can never be any more such caches placed or found.

Events are caches mainly for historic reasons. Early on in geocaching, people want to organize get-togethers to meet other geocachers. Some suggested using the cache listings as a way to do this and the event was born. Certainly there are some who may not want these to count is the "found" statistics. Originally there was no "Attended" log and you posted a "found" log when you attended an event. So events got counted in the find count. When the "Attended" log was added, the decision was made to continue counting events attendance as finds. This may actually contribute to people attending events and logging about it, so that isn't entirely bad.

The "APE" type is another relic of the past that should have long ago been mothballed. I know, there's still one left to find, but there's nothing any more special about it than any other cache that old. Make it a Traditional and get rid of the special type.

Why not get rid of Virtuals and Webcams too then. They are also relics from the past. The fact that a cache type is hard to get (APE) or needs special equipment (Wherigo) is hardly a reason to get rid of the type. Are you collecting icons or finding geocaches?

If I were to suggest getting rid of something it would be the Letterbox Hybrid. That is because this type is the most misused of all the cache types. It is meant simply to indicate that the cache has a stamp and may be cross posted as a letterbox on one of the Letterboxing sites. It can be a traditional or any other type of cache. There are some people who use this for an offset that uses letterboxing style clues, and the cache has no stamp in it at all.

I agree with Toz all the way around, which might be somewhat suprising since I'm an "icon junkie" (one of the few geocachers in the world with a complete set of 20 icons on the "found" side).

People have enough trouble already in deciding between Multis and Mupples (Mystery/Unknown/Puzzle Caches). Offset caches fit within multi's, field puzzles fit in one or the other, etc.

If we split anything out, it would be Challenge Caches, since with the deprecation of the cache search feature, it's harder to find them amidst the sea of puzzles. This could also be accomplished by a "Challenge" attribute, however.

The icons I've collected represent good memories. Don't merge my 10 Years Event icon in with regular events. It was special. Don't merge my Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration icon in with regular events; I flew across the country to score that. And so forth. It's not like new Project APE caches are being created, or are cluttering up the Cache Submission form, so leave them be for statistical history purposes.

If "Cache Attributes" had been around twelve years ago, there would be no Letterbox Hybrid cache type. There would be an attribute for "Has a Letterboxing Stamp." Apart from that distinguishing attribute, all Letterbox Hybrid caches are some variation of Traditional Caches, Multicaches or Mupplecaches. But since we do have 12 years of history under our belts, leave them be.

The challenge caches are not really puzzles as the cache is located at the posted coordinates.

That's not true. There are challenge caches that involve puzzles and also multi part challenge caches are feasible. There is no requirement

at all that challenge caches need to be hidden at the posted coordinates.

Cezanne

You are correct, but the majority are at the posted coordinates. This fact really has nothing to do with my opinion though. My point is that a challenge cache's primary function has nothing to do with puzzles. A multi-cache can have puzzle elements but it is still called a multi-cache. A puzzle can have multiple stages but it is still called a puzzle. A challenge cache is not a puzzle and has never been a puzzle based on its primary function. It simply shares the icon of a puzzle cache. This is of course just my opinion.