[FEATURE] It's time for a new cache type

wuliwup

I think it's now time to establish a new cache-type. I know that the virtuals will not come back and I also think for examples "QR-Code Caches" are not a good idea (we don't need a Munzee clone here). But what's about an own cache-type for "Challange Caches" with an own icon? Do you have ideas for another new cache-types? If yes, please make a suggestion in this forum! Or do you think, that at the moment there is no necessity of "Geocaching" innovations?

Edited by wuliwup

I'm still not 100% on what went down with the whole Challenges thing. What I gathered is that Challenges were killed, but many are using the "unknown" or "mystery" cache (or question mark cache as I call them) type for challenges. I completely agree (if I understand your point in the context of the challenges) of having a unique icon/type for challenges versus the traditional and original idea for the unknown/mystery caches.

On a separate note, I always wondered if there was some more ways to designate event related caches. There was those special exhibit icons, but I was thinking more along the lines of "Presentation" cache for a general type of cache that differentiates itself from typical events where it is more social.

I also wondered, as much as I hate the idea, but it is the direction geocaching is going, that a "vendor" cache type could be introduced for a cache that is located / associated with vendors. This would be (for example) an REI store or other location where GPS, Groundspeak, or other merchandise is sold. Vendor caches (because of their nature) would be purchased by the vendor (which help funds GS). Smaller suppliers could also factor into this somehow (though many are just online stores, no brick 'n Mortar storefronts). Fairness would be required and it would have to be geocaching related (similarly like the way they say in their "advertise with us" page. For cachers this is neat because you can gain a cache find each time you go looking at the store (well each unique store).

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

I think it's now time to establish a new cache-type; above all after the disaster with the challanges last year. I know that the virtuals will not come back and I also think for examples "QR-Code Caches" are not a good idea (we don't need a Munzee clone here). But what's about an own cache-type for "Challange Caches" with an own icon? Do you have ideas for another new cache-types? If yes, please make a suggestion in this forum! Or do you think, that at the moment there is no necessity of "Geocaching" innovations?

There's already a good plan in these Feature forums here.

Lets just be certain we keep a clear distinction between the now defunct Geo-Challenges and a Challenge Cache - which has a fine discussion going on as linked above.

As for new cache types - I am not convinced that any new ones are 'needed' or that serious innovations in types are needed to advance Geocaching in any way. Why can't a geocache simply be a container hidden out there for others to find and we just leave it at that??

I'm still not 100% on what went down with the whole Challenges thing. What I gathered is that Challenges were killed, but many are using the "unknown" or "mystery" cache (or question mark cache as I call them) type for challenges. I completely agree (if I understand your point in the context of the challenges) of having a unique icon/type for challenges versus the traditional and original idea for the unknown/mystery caches.

It sounds like you are confusing the two things that shared the word "Challenge" in their names.

"Challenge Caches" still exist, and are required to be categorized under the "?" / "Unknown" type:

4.15. Challenge Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

The other "Challenge" named item was different, and was the one that was discontinued by Groundspeak back in December:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=304869

B.

What I gathered is that Challenges were killed, but many are using the "unknown" or "mystery" cache (or question mark cache as I call them) type for challenges.

Two completely different animals:

Geocaching Challenges: A now-extinct species that very loosely resembled the endangered "Virtual". The supreme beings who created them decided they didn't care for them anymore, so they wiped every trace of them from the face of the earth.

Challenge cache: A thriving species (at least in some parts of the world) that presents a defined set of geocaching-related requirements which must be satisfied before a hunter can claim a find.

As for new cache types - I am not convinced that any new ones are 'needed' or that serious innovations in types are needed to advance Geocaching in any way. Why can't a geocache simply be a container hidden out there for others to find and we just leave it at that??

I don't think that we *need* a new cache type either but I might see if I can find a suggestion I made awhile back. It had a small amount of discussion but that died off. Although I doubt that anything tangible could come from it I think a little brainstorming might be interesting.

I still think that one of the reasons that geocaching challenges never caught on was that people expected them to be treated like geocaches, where there is a container out there for others to find. People expected that challenges should have all the processes (formal review process, ownership, D/T ratings, a submission process, and, yes, even that they would count as a find) that we've come to associate with geocaches. Actually, I think that waymarks and benchmarks haven't caught as much as they might either because, instead of seeing challenges, waymarks, or benchmarks as just a different kind of location based game, they're compared to and expected to be like geoaching.

Thanks guys...yeah, was confused, not having done either (I missed the short lived challenges, as I was on a geo-break).

----------------------

Another cache type:

RACE Caches - some sort of event or coordinated cache that is somewhat like a Multi-cache, but is TIMED! If not times, a head-to-head event.

The entire thing could be done in different ways. These could be logged simply for showing up. Or...you can only get the icon if you win. The win could simply be any "heat" of race, or per event (extremely rare). I tend to like the idea of the more the better. But exploring what is basically a quick brain dump.

The neat thing to is, it can be combined with some other outdoor activities. Some races could be via Kayak, some via bicycle, some by foot...and for the full extreme...all of the above.

Plus, there could be an interesting twist to travel bugs and coins.

I'm confused. Why is it "time for a new cache type"?

This.

New cache types haven't been created on a schedule, but rather when the need arises to separate a style of cache from the others. Of the current styles of cache out in the wild right now, I'd say challenge caches are the only ones that really need their own type. Some people would rather see them go away entirely (which I wouldn't be opposed to), but if they'll be staying long-term, I think they're different and numerous enough to warrant their own type.

I would suggest that we can review some of the cachetypes that came along in the past (i.e. ones that were new at some point after geocaching started) and how that impacted geocaching. I have never seen a new cachetype impact geocaching negatively so I think in general it is a good thing.

Let’s start with the cachetype "Event". For many years there was one Event type and there are now several types and sub-types. The most prominent of the new types was the CITO events. Clearly many users found it helpful. Some like the fact that they actually provide service on the part of the geocaching community to society as a whole. So CITOs are a source of pride. We do not need a cachetype to do that, but having it as a cachetype allows us to sort and find these readily and thus it improves participation. It was also somewhat imperative that mega events be treated somewhat differently. Again, it was not absolutely necessary, but having it that way is very useful to the clients (us). And some sub-types have followed, largely initiated by Groundspeak so they would find it hard to argue that cachetypes should not be subdivided.

I think one place were subdivision would be very useful and helpful to many of us is in the area of the Multi caches. I find that it would greatly help me to have Multis separated into "offset caches" (ie. 2 stage with second stage within some small distance) and those which are more elaborate. In the decade that I have been geocaching this has always seemed like a good idea to me. In fact, I think Multis as a whole have declined in some areas because it is too difficult at a glace to figure out how elaborate they are.

Another subdivision would be in the mystery cachetype. It almost seems like a catch-all category for anything that does not fall into the other categories. I recall discussions years ago where we discussed what was a Multi vs a Mystery; that lead to discussion and resulted in clearer definitions - a good thing. In fact, there seemed to always be some ambivalence as to what was a "Mystery" vs "Unknown" - so they are kept as one category. With clear difinitions these could be individual cachetypes. Since those days there have been a lot puzzles added as "Mystery/Unknown". In terms of my use, I would find it very useful to have a puzzle type which would explicitly be clear that you can go to the coordinates and solve the puzzle there without books or smartphone or prior research. I need this cachetype to have an icon that distinguishes it from puzzles where you first need to do some other activity before you can find the physical cache. I am absolutely certain that I would be looking for many more puzzles if I had the ability to sort these out during a cache run.

I believe that it is also relatively clear which mystery caches are challenges and which are not. So that could easily be its own type and if it had its own icon, it would be relatively easy to distinguish from the rest.

Perhaps if we can give Groundspeak some suggestions for new cachetypes along with neat looking (colorful) icons (own art only, please), along with a concise description to help users and the reviewers with making decisions, then that might resonate with the folks at HQ.

It sounds like you are confusing the two things that shared the word "Challenge" in their names.

"Challenge Caches" still exist, and are required to be categorized under the "?" / "Unknown" type:

4.15. Challenge Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

The other "Challenge" named item was different, and was the one that was discontinued by Groundspeak back in December:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=304869

B.

We need to give WW a break here. "Geocaching Challenges" were a type of game that GC developed to try to take the place of bringing back Virtuals, (opinions very). GC dumped them a few months ago and removed all evidence of their existence from the website. That kind of leaves those that see the reference, but were not on the website at the time, at a disadvantage as you have no idea what we are talking about.

Challenge caches are a valid type of geocache that currently use the Unknown/Puzzle cache type.

Another subdivision would be in the mystery cachetype. It almost seems like a catch-all category for anything that does not fall into the other categories.

Just to be clear, the Mystery/Puzzle/Unknown cache type is and has always been the catch-all category as long as it has existed.

From the guidelines in December 2003 (the first mention I could find of the type):

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The “catch-all” of cache types...

...and from today:

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The "catch-all" of cache types...

I would suggest that we can review some of the cachetypes that came along in the past (i.e. ones that were new at some point after geocaching started) and how that impacted geocaching. I have never seen a new cachetype impact geocaching negatively so I think in general it is a good thing.

Let’s start with the cachetype "Event". For many years there was one Event type and there are now several types and sub-types. The most prominent of the new types was the CITO events. Clearly many users found it helpful. Some like the fact that they actually provide service on the part of the geocaching community to society as a whole. So CITOs are a source of pride. We do not need a cachetype to do that, but having it as a cachetype allows us to sort and find these readily and thus it improves participation. It was also somewhat imperative that mega events be treated somewhat differently. Again, it was not absolutely necessary, but having it that way is very useful to the clients (us). And some sub-types have followed, largely initiated by Groundspeak so they would find it hard to argue that cachetypes should not be subdivided.

I think one place were subdivision would be very useful and helpful to many of us is in the area of the Multi caches. I find that it would greatly help me to have Multis separated into "offset caches" (ie. 2 stage with second stage within some small distance) and those which are more elaborate. In the decade that I have been geocaching this has always seemed like a good idea to me. In fact, I think Multis as a whole have declined in some areas because it is too difficult at a glace to figure out how elaborate they are.

Another subdivision would be in the mystery cachetype. It almost seems like a catch-all category for anything that does not fall into the other categories. I recall discussions years ago where we discussed what was a Multi vs a Mystery; that lead to discussion and resulted in clearer definitions - a good thing. In fact, there seemed to always be some ambivalence as to what was a "Mystery" vs "Unknown" - so they are kept as one category. With clear difinitions these could be individual cachetypes. Since those days there have been a lot puzzles added as "Mystery/Unknown". In terms of my use, I would find it very useful to have a puzzle type which would explicitly be clear that you can go to the coordinates and solve the puzzle there without books or smartphone or prior research. I need this cachetype to have an icon that distinguishes it from puzzles where you first need to do some other activity before you can find the physical cache. I am absolutely certain that I would be looking for many more puzzles if I had the ability to sort these out during a cache run.

I believe that it is also relatively clear which mystery caches are challenges and which are not. So that could easily be its own type and if it had its own icon, it would be relatively easy to distinguish from the rest.

Perhaps if we can give Groundspeak some suggestions for new cachetypes along with neat looking (colorful) icons (own art only, please), along with a concise description to help users and the reviewers with making decisions, then that might resonate with the folks at HQ.

Best contribution here!!! Thanks!

Edited by wuliwup

For all participants here in this topic:

I know the difference between the retired "Challanges"and "Challange Caches" very well! :)

I think the "Challanges" where a big innovation disaster and I don't want to discuss their problems here.

I think there is always time and chances for new innovations and further developments in the "Geocaching Universum".

Otherwise there would be stagnation.

For example as I mentioned already, I would prefer an own type "Challange Cache". Why not?

I would also love to see, if Groundspeak would push much more the genius "Wherigo" cache-type.

Edited by wuliwup
I also wondered, as much as I hate the idea, but it is the direction geocaching is going, that a "vendor" cache type could be introduced for a cache that is located / associated with vendors. This would be (for example) an REI store or other location where GPS, Groundspeak, or other merchandise is sold. Vendor caches (because of their nature) would be purchased by the vendor (which help funds GS). Smaller suppliers could also factor into this somehow (though many are just online stores, no brick 'n Mortar storefronts). Fairness would be required and it would have to be geocaching related (similarly like the way they say in their "advertise with us" page. For cachers this is neat because you can gain a cache find each time you go looking at the store (well each unique store).

That's not neat at all, unless people are all about the numbers over and above every other aspect of caching why is it neat to get a smiley just for wandering through a shopping mall?

If we're going to have a new cache type let's make it for something new and inventive that requires doing something more interesting than going shopping. Otherwise why stop at places like REI - why not have vendor caches at every pharmacy (after all people buy sunscreen, insect repellant etc to go caching), every cafe (someone might stop there for a snack after a hard day's caching), every branch of McDonalds (likewise) and the thing becomes an exercise in futility.

I still don't see why it's "time" for a new cache category. I've read all these posts and as far as I'm concerned there are enough already. No one has posted any convincing evidence or support for another.

What is up with all the posts lately that want to change something about geocaching? Surely the community can't be so bored with the hobby that they feel it has to be tweaked in many different ways.

Sometimes it best to just leave well enough alone.

Of the current styles of cache out in the wild right now, I'd say challenge caches are the only ones that really need their own type. Some people would rather see them go away entirely (which I wouldn't be opposed to), but if they'll be staying long-term, I think they're different and numerous enough to warrant their own type.

This.

Personally, I'd like them to be traditional caches (since they are at the posted coordinates). Everyone can log them, but people who meet the challenge criteria get special recognition (their name on a plaque - all expenses paid by the challenge owner). :anibad:

That's not neat at all, unless people are all about the numbers over and above every other aspect of caching why is it neat to get a smiley just for wandering through a shopping mall?
You didn't read my post completely did you? I did indicate vendors would have to be geocaching related. A shopping mall would not qualify. But "vendor" related caches have been there since the beginning....remember the project APE caches. Those were not store front caches, but they were commercial. I'm just throwing ideas out there, but please read my entire post before arguing points I already disqualified!
You didn't read my post completely did you? I did indicate vendors would have to be geocaching related. A shopping mall would not qualify. But "vendor" related caches have been there since the beginning....remember the project APE caches. Those were not store front caches, but they were commercial. I'm just throwing ideas out there, but please read my entire post before arguing points I already disqualified!

From your original post:

This would be (for example) an REI store or other location where GPS, Groundspeak, or other merchandise is sold. Vendor caches (because of their nature) would be purchased by the vendor (which help funds GS).

Last time I went to a shopping mall there were, you know, shops in it. The kind of shops that might qualify as vendors of GPS kit - vendors like REI, vendors selling smartphones (the ones with GPS chips that support geocaching apps) and the like.

I'm still not clear how, in your own words, "For cachers this is neat because you can gain a cache find each time you go looking at the store". I want to gain a cache for finding a cache, not for going looking in a store.

Fairness would be required and it would have to be geocaching related (similarly like the way they say in their "advertise with us" page. For cachers this is neat because you can gain a cache find each time you go looking at the store (well each unique store).

Even when you quoted me, you cut out the point I'm making...it isn't about every store and you failed to fully read or comprehend my statement. You keep bringing up Malls. Malls are dead anyways. Bottomline is...I did say GEOCACHING RELATED. Now that I've said it twice, do you understand, cause I give up if you don't.

I'm confused. Why is it "time for a new cache type"?

You might be confused because you may not have realized this is a discussion thread and about exploration.

Things change and progress. This site is obviously not about sticking to its roots (much to my original displeasure). I just figure if we're gonna go along with Groundspeak and their ways, amplify it, make change simply for the sake of change.

Fairness would be required and it would have to be geocaching related (similarly like the way they say in their "advertise with us" page. For cachers this is neat because you can gain a cache find each time you go looking at the store (well each unique store).

Even when you quoted me, you cut out the point I'm making...it isn't about every store and you failed to fully read or comprehend my statement. You keep bringing up Malls. Malls are dead anyways. Bottomline is...I did say GEOCACHING RELATED. Now that I've said it twice, do you understand, cause I give up if you don't.

So what counts as "geocaching related"?

Some places sell GPS units which are clearly used for geocaching. Many other stores sell plastic boxes which are often used as cache containers. Gun shops sell ammo cans, which are often used as cache containers. Some photographic outlets still process 35mm film pots which are used as cache containers. Places like McDonalds and Burger King serve refreshments to people after a hard day's geocaching.

How will you define which of these are "geocaching related" and which are not?

How about an empty barrel at the top of a large hill. You have to stuff yourself inside and roll yourself down in order to log it as found. You also have to roll the barrel back up the hill to reset it.

This could also tie in to a virtual.. say at the top of a large waterfall or cliff.

Coyote Cache? Gravity Cache? It could use the Hospital icon currently used for the "needs maintenance" property.

Shaun

So what counts as "geocaching related"?

Same criteria Groundspeak uses for the ads here on the website.

I'll have to guess on that one, I can't remember the last time I saw an ad on any web site.

Look around...do some exploring, you might learn a little something.

Thanks, but finding out what advertisers Groundspeak is willing to tolerate isn't of any great interest to me. Even if this new cache type were restricted to physical retailers who sold GPS units and nothing else I still don't think it's a good idea.

How about an empty barrel at the top of a large hill. You have to stuff yourself inside and roll yourself down in order to log it as found. You also have to roll the barrel back up the hill to reset it.

This could also tie in to a virtual.. say at the top of a large waterfall or cliff.

Coyote Cache? Gravity Cache? It could use the Hospital icon currently used for the "needs maintenance" property.

Shaun

I like that one. You'd also have to post a video of yourself climbing in and rolling to prove you did it. You could post a copy of your medical bill as well for bonus points.

I think it's now time to establish a new cache-type. I know that the virtuals will not come back and I also think for examples "QR-Code Caches" are not a good idea (we don't need a Munzee clone here). But what's about an own cache-type for "Challange Caches" with an own icon? Do you have ideas for another new cache-types? If yes, please make a suggestion in this forum! Or do you think, that at the moment there is no necessity of "Geocaching" innovations?

Or a "Special category" type of cache like an "Amateur radio cache" First off, you would have to be a licensed amateur radio operator.

The idea would be a cache is put up a local mountain the "Amateur radio (back pack) cacher" would find the cache as normal, fill out the log etc BUT would then have to make a contact from the location to make a log entry as found.

Cheer's VE7SDX

Or a "Special category" type of cache like an "Amateur radio cache" First off, you would have to be a licensed amateur radio operator.

It's unlikely that TPTB would create a cache type that's restricted to a certain group. They want caches to be available to all (or at least the majority), not a select few.

Geotours exist as a way for commercial caches to be placed.

http://www.geocaching.com/adventures/geotours

If any of these cache types would work, it could be beta tested as an unknown. I can see certain types of Mystery or unknown caches get broken off into groups: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277

Beacon Caches

Bonus Caches

Challenge Cache

Night Cache

Puzzle Cache

As far as Wherigo works, I would love to see Groundspeak push the development for iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows mobile, etc. Smartphones are the future for good or bad and it seems "everyone" has one now. But it will need a push somehow to keep it going.

I would like to be able to publish a cache that required more clues than GPS use, Maybe like a fire tack type path but for daytime. Something to think about anyway.

I like night caches if and only if they use the reflectors and are done differently than others. I often find myself searching for caches after dark (cause I'm busy during the day), so the cross over might be a little weird.

Agree that Wherigo needs to open up more. I think finding a way to make it available to even the lower priced devices should be done.

I like night caches if and only if they use the reflectors and are done differently than others. I often find myself searching for caches after dark (cause I'm busy during the day), so the cross over might be a little weird.

Agree that Wherigo needs to open up more. I think finding a way to make it available to even the lower priced devices should be done.

That isn't anything that Groundspeak has control over. They don't make the devices that are used to play Wherigo cartridges.

That isn't anything that Groundspeak has control over. They don't make the devices that are used to play Wherigo cartridges.

It would be nice to get the sense that Groundspeak actually cared about Wherigo. I remember reading on a Garmin page that they had discontinued support for it because there was no sign Groundspeak had, and including a screenshot showing nothing had been done with Wherigo for some years.

Wherigo seems like a perfect way to make something like a night cache available during the day. It just seems like another potentially great idea that's left in a half-baked state. I'd rather see more time spent on things like Wherigo and less time spent on twitface integrations and mobile apps to replace GPS units.

Challenge caches have a detailed description of requirements for placing. These should be in the general guidelines for placing caches, not hidden on the support site as they are now.

Now that the poorly named "challenges" have disappeared, removing the confusion with Challenge Caches, which were there long before them and which are an entirely different thing, it's time to get a separate designation and icon for Challenge caches. The mystery category and ? icon now includes both Puzzle Caches and Challenge Caches and they are not the same thing at all.

Challenge caches are very popular where I cache in Eastern Nebraska. They seem to bee popular everywhere. shell1fish's bookmark lists of Challenge Caches has 5354 listed for the United States as of today. They are a great preventative of caching burnout. One does get tired of urban micros after a few years. But I find myself going for them happily when finding one helps reach the qualification of a Challenge Cache. I logged a lamppost cache today just for that reason.

Let's get them a category and an icon.

Challenge caches have a detailed description of requirements for placing. These should be in the general guidelines for placing caches, not hidden on the support site as they are now.

Now that the poorly named "challenges" have disappeared, removing the confusion with Challenge Caches, which were there long before them and which are an entirely different thing, it's time to get a separate designation and icon for Challenge caches. The mystery category and ? icon now includes both Puzzle Caches and Challenge Caches and they are not the same thing at all.

Challenge caches are very popular where I cache in Eastern Nebraska. They seem to bee popular everywhere. shell1fish's bookmark lists of Challenge Caches has 5354 listed for the United States as of today. They are a great preventative of caching burnout. One does get tired of urban micros after a few years. But I find myself going for them happily when finding one helps reach the qualification of a Challenge Cache. I logged a lamppost cache today just for that reason.

Let's get them a category and an icon.

Challenge caches may indeed be popular in Eastern Nebraska and certainly in other areas, but they are *not* popular everywhere else. Shell1fish has compiled a great list but I think if you looked at it closely you'd find that the relative popularity of challenge caches is very much a regional thing. In some areas they seem to be very common but in others they just haven't caught on. I know of only two challenge caches within a 50 mile radius to where I live and it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere.

My opinion on Wherigo is that smartphones is the way to go since everyone seems to have one, they support sound, colour photos, have a real keyboard,etc. Which makes them ideal for Wherigo. Groundspeak can easily encourage development of these apps even if Garmin and others don't want to include them. whereyougo for android is currently opensource so anyone with some money can hire a developer to work on it.

I am all for a new icon for challenge caches. I love doing the challenges, but they are impossible to find. The challenge caches are not really puzzles as the cache is located at the posted coordinates. They are very specific and have a whole list of criteria that a challenge cache must meet before it can be considered a challenge. I don't think it belongs in the puzzle category at all.

I am all for a new icon for challenge caches. I love doing the challenges, but they are impossible to find. The challenge caches are not really puzzles as the cache is located at the posted coordinates. They are very specific and have a whole list of criteria that a challenge cache must meet before it can be considered a challenge. I don't think it belongs in the puzzle category at all.

It's not that challenge caches are in the puzzle category. Puzzle caches and challenge caches are in the "mystery/unknown" category, a catch-all category that includes caches the are not traditional, multii, letterbox hybrids, etc.

Unfortunately, depending on where you look on the various "help" pages, that category is referred to as mystery/unknown, mystery/puzzle, and mystery/puzzle/unknown. In any event, challenges caches *do* fall into the category as it is intended to be used as the "catch-all" category.

True, although I remember reading that Garmin had discontinued support for Wherigo on the basis Groundspeak clearly weren't doing anything with it. At the time there was a link to a Wherigo builder that was still in an alpha state and apparently hadn't been updated in four years.

If GS aren't interested in developing their own project it's hardly surprising other developers show a comparable lack of interest in spending their own resources to support it.

I propose a new Event Type: Group Hunt

This would be a new event type - allowing people to organize a group of geocachers to get together for a group hunt for caches in a specific area, trail, or park.

I realize that the "Groundspeak rules" would have to be loosened to allow this to happen - but think about it for a minute - what is so different about sitting in a pizza joint to talk about caching for an hour versus gathering a group of geocachers together to go look for a bunch of caches?

It gives new geocachers a chance to meet others and attempt caches that they would never dream of trying by themselves.

Sure, some Cache Owners of "impossible" caches - intentionally difficult to find - will not love the idea, but those of us spending hours and hours befuddled would love others to share our grief/appreciation for the cache. (maybe add an attribute "no group hunt" for those "special" caches but that would be hard to enforce since anyone can join forces with a few others to go get a cache anytime)

The organizer would set a date and time and area for the Group Hunt and anyone interested could join in.

The safety and comraderie of going out into the woods with a group is fantastic.

Sure, Meetup or Facebook, or email lists could attempt to do this, but none would have the impact of geocaching.com - you can only reach out and invite those you already know with those other mediums - but with geocaching.com, you can reach out to any geocachers in the area - or visiting the area around the group hunt timeframe.

"Calling All Cachers" - Group Hunt - 6/1/2013 - 8am to noon - Meet at posted cords at ________Park - Let's Go Caching Together...

I propose a new Event Type: Group Hunt

This would be a new event type - allowing people to organize a group of geocachers to get together for a group hunt for caches in a specific area, trail, or park.

I realize that the "Groundspeak rules" would have to be loosened to allow this to happen - but think about it for a minute - what is so different about sitting in a pizza joint to talk about caching for an hour versus gathering a group of geocachers together to go look for a bunch of caches?

I'd kinda like to see this too, though I don't enjoy group caching myself.

Makes the ones already doing this legit.

It happens often enough North of me, where events are held and a planned group forms later to cache.

The Reviewer seems to approve "Dinner and night caching" as the event name for a few, which kinda shows what the event's for and the discription does say, "Afterward, for those who would like to join us, we have a night caching adventure planned" on the event page.

- Maybe it's all added later...

- But the guidelines do state, "An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list."

- Something like you suggest might have enough discussion for it's own thread, as there's a big difference between having a guideline "loosened" and thrown out entirely.