Need Advice -- What will happen if I place a cache too close to another?

I just restarted geocaching again (after a 5 year hiatus). I have found a fantastic spot for my first cache (both a unique location and clever hide system). It is less then .1 miles from another cache. It is across a canal and completely out of sight of the other cache. What will happen if I place and post this cache? Will it automatically be rejected?

I would like to confirm what will happen before building the cache as I plan to spend about $50 on materials for the box.

I could ask the other guy to move his -- but I would prefer that to be a last resort. Is that considered bad form to ask someone else to move their cache?

Thanks for any advice!

I just restarted geocaching again (after a 5 year hiatus). I have found a fantastic spot for my first cache (both a unique location and clever hide system). It is less then .1 miles from another cache. It is across a canal and completely out of sight of the other cache. What will happen if I place and post this cache? Will it automatically be rejected?

I would like to confirm what will happen before building the cache as I plan to spend about $50 on materials for the box.

I could ask the other guy to move his -- but I would prefer that to be a last resort. Is that considered bad form to ask someone else to move their cache?

Thanks for any advice!

This thread should probably be moved to the general topics forum section but you're best bet would be to contact the review and provide details before spending too much on the box.

Less than the required minimum distance? Not too much chance of it being published -- but there are occasional exceptions (just don't bank on it).

No harm in explaining the situation to the other CO and see if they might move theirs a bit. Some will and some won't -- takes your chances.

Outside of the above, you just may have to bite the bullet and move along...

Politely ask the other cacher to remove, move or archive the cache - but don't be surprised if they say 'no'. Otherwise - find a new spot.

Really? Asking someone to move a cache so you can place one comes across to me as pretty ##%##%^ you have to fill in the word of your choice since I don't want to get banned. Especially since it his first placement.

My advice is find somewhere see.

Explain the part about the canal in between to the reviewer, they might make an exception because there is an obvious physical barrier there and it would obviously take more than .10 mile of travel to get from one to the other.

One local cacher had an exception made to the proximity guideline. He was creating a series at each of the fire stations in his town (he is the fire chief there) but one station was less than 528' from an existing cache at a library. The reviewer allowed it so that the series could be complete, I guess.

I don't think I'd ask the other cacher to move his cache, he was there first and must have picked that spot for a reason. Maybe if the owner is inactive for an extended period and obviously isn't maintaining it, then maybe, just maybe I'd request an archive. But if the owner is still active, probably not.

What will happen if you place a cache too close to another??

Real wrath of God type stuff.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! :lol:

Politely ask the other cacher to remove, move or archive the cache - but don't be surprised if they say 'no'.

No, don't. They got there first, and they may like the spot they picked out.

No harm in asking, but I would suggest more than mere politeness. Get a friendly conversation going and you might get your spot, and make a new friend too. Explain to the other cacher just why you want to use the location you picked and let them know just how far and in which direction you need additional space. I wouldn't mind being asked, and in some cases I would agree to move one of mine.

You can't ask someone to move their cache, they've found a spot they love too and you can't ask them to move. You won't be able to place a cache here because it is too close and it will get rejected by the reviewer. And it's very bad form to ask someone to move their cache

While I agree it's in "bad form" to ask someone to move a cache, it's not the same as can't.

Sure you can ask, but in return, one needs to be prepared for an answer they may not want to hear.

You can't ask someone to move their cache, they've found a spot they love too and you can't ask them to move. You won't be able to place a cache here because it is too close and it will get rejected by the reviewer. And it's very bad form to ask someone to move their cache

While I agree it's in "bad form" to ask someone to move a cache, it's not the same as can't.

Sure you can ask, but in return, one needs to be prepared for an answer they may not want to hear.

Better to ask 'if' they might move their cache, with good reason as to why one makes the request. Most of mine I would not want to move. (Reworking puzzle caches for instance) There are a few that I might move, if the reason were good. Also depends how far I would ned to move it. A few feet? Or much farther?

I did ask someone once if they could move the start of his mystery cache since it had the exact same coords as one of my caches. He did with no problem.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! :lol:

That, or maybe it simply won't be published. :P

Of course some people do have trouble distinguishing... ;)

Even given the canal walkaround distance, I wouldn't publish it (if I were a reviewer).

What could be so exciting about the other side of the canal? :unsure:

That, or maybe it simply won't be published. :P

Of course some people do have trouble distinguishing... ;)

Even given the canal walkaround distance, I wouldn't publish it (if I were a reviewer).

What could be so exciting about the other side of the canal? :unsure:

I agree, a canal doesn't sound like enough of a barrier.

Politely ask the other cacher to remove, move or archive the cache - but don't be surprised if they say 'no'. Otherwise - find a new spot.

Really? Asking someone to move a cache so you can place one comes across to me as pretty ##%##%^ you have to fill in the word of your choice since I don't want to get banned. Especially since it his first placement.

My advice is find somewhere see.

So many variables that it's hard to give an answer.

Your cache. How far is your spot to the other? 520' might buy you a break. 150', and it's almost certainly not going to happen. What kind of canal is it? Can you jump over it? Can you wade or swim across? Is it a shipping canal and the closest bridge is 5 miles away?

The other cache. How long has it been there? Does it have a lot of favorites or logs saying that it's in the perfect spot? Is the owner active? Does the owner have 500 caches hidden and a habit of simply archiving them as soon as something goes wrong, or is this his one and only baby that he may be endeared to? You'll need to do the research both by reading the current guidelines and on the other cache and owner.

I have caches that I would gladly archive if I thought that your's would turn out to be much better, especially if mine had been there for awhile and had pretty much ran it's course. I also have caches that I would probably be offended by the simple suggestion that they be moved or archived.

Also, are there Unknown/Puzzle or Multi caches in the immediate area? This other cache may not be only one that you have to worry about.

The other alternative is to claim the spot, and wait for the other cache to be archived. That does happen often.

I never heard of "claiming" a currently-unavailable spot. I realize archiving happens often, but you're saying this "claiming" of currently-unavailable spots happens often?? This sounds like take-a-number-at-the-deli -- with really popular spots possibly having a waiting-list of claims.

Maybe a reviewer, etc., could comment on this.

I've had a Cache published closer than .1 miles with a significant physical barrier in place. Ask the revier, you never know. ALso I don't think it's bad form to politely ask someone if they'd consider moving if you explain your plans. If none of those work, just accept it and look elsewhere. Good luck and welcome back [:)]

I've had a Cache published closer than .1 miles with a significant physical barrier in place. Ask the revier, you never know. ALso I don't think it's bad form to politely ask someone if they'd consider moving if you explain your plans. If none of those work, just accept it and look elsewhere. Good luck and welcome back [:)]

I've seen this happen, too. Not all caches are >161m apart.

Ask your local reviewer for approval beforehand. Especially if you're quite close to the limit and a good reason to want to place the cache right there, I'd just ask and see what happens.

I put a cache out that was 430 feet from another cache and my reviewer would not publish my cache because it was within 528 feet of another cache. I also attempted to place a cache at a historical marker that just happened to be across the street from a small school. My reviewer would not publish that cache either because, "In this case the cache location is in plain sight, and directly across from the school driveway. There is no apparent good reason for anyone to be stopped at this location. Remember that many people do not know what geocaching is, and to them our random stopping and looking around may appear to be suspicious.

My reviewer further stated, "Your options are to relocate your cache, or appeal my application of this guideline to the paid staff at geocaching.com.

Perhaps someone there will view the situation differently."

I'll just move the cache to a different location. I fear that if I argue with my reviewer, they will be tougher on my in the future.

...I fear that if I argue with my reviewer, they will be tougher on my in the future.

I understand what you are saying but, from what I have seen, I do not believe that a reviewer allows past issues to cloud their judgement. It would make their job even harder. Sure they are human and as such have feelings, emotions and beliefs that they adhere to, but I also believe that they take their assignment/function very seriously.

Even if they were to have personal issues with a person, I still rather doubt that they would require more (or less) than what the guidelines (their interpretation of the guidelines) dictate.

It is far easier for everyone (themselves included) if they are consistent with their application of the guidelines.

I truly believe that a reviewer would rather pass a geocache for listing than to deny it, regardless of past issues with an individual.

A toast... to our reviewers, everywhere...

I asked a cacher if I could adopt or if he could move/archive a cache just this last weekend. I was polite. And I don't feel bad since his film canister in a stop sign at the road is blocking 528' of perfect caching opportunity in a county park. He didn't even have the nerve to tell me to buzz off. I never got a response. Now if the cache were hidden within the park and within that blocked 528' circle, I wouldn't have even considered asking.

...I fear that if I argue with my reviewer, they will be tougher on my in the future.

I understand what you are saying but, from what I have seen, I do not believe that a reviewer allows past issues to cloud their judgement. It would make their job even harder. Sure they are human and as such have feelings, emotions and beliefs that they adhere to, but I also believe that they take their assignment/function very seriously.

Even if they were to have personal issues with a person, I still rather doubt that they would require more (or less) than what the guidelines (their interpretation of the guidelines) dictate.

It is far easier for everyone (themselves included) if they are consistent with their application of the guidelines.

I truly believe that a reviewer would rather pass a geocache for listing than to deny it, regardless of past issues with an individual.

A toast... to our reviewers, everywhere...