I want another reviewer

The point of bringing a reviewers name out is so that others can see if this is a track record and if it necessary for the community to come together. Many reviewers have lasted much longer than their due because the forum tends to ban or suspend users for even mentioning it. Moderators also aren't consistent. I got a seven day suspension for making a general joking statement about reviewers, yet here (thankfully) the discussion continues.

In other words, transparency is not always the priority with Groudspeak unfortunately.

There is also a serious lack of reviewers. You'd think for being unpaid positions, they'd have about 100 more reviewers. Many just are overwhelmed and not able to give the attention needed to assist cachers in fixing issues and coming up with solutions.

Or alternatively, there's a shortage of willing applicants - if they're just going to get flamed in the forums for doing their unpaid job correctly.

There are plenty of willing people but the first rule to being a reviewer is don't ask to be a reviewer. So in reality it is on goundspeak to find more people.

The point of bringing a reviewers name out is so that others can see if this is a track record and if it necessary for the community to come together. Many reviewers have lasted much longer than their due because the forum tends to ban or suspend users for even mentioning it. Moderators also aren't consistent. I got a seven day suspension for making a general joking statement about reviewers, yet here (thankfully) the discussion continues.

In other words, transparency is not always the priority with Groudspeak unfortunately.

There is also a serious lack of reviewers. You'd think for being unpaid positions, they'd have about 100 more reviewers. Many just are overwhelmed and not able to give the attention needed to assist cachers in fixing issues and coming up with solutions.

Or alternatively, there's a shortage of willing applicants - if they're just going to get flamed in the forums for doing their unpaid job correctly.

There are plenty of willing people but the first rule to being a reviewer is don't ask to be a reviewer. So in reality it is on goundspeak to find more people.

Not sure about that. From the help centre article. http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=278

If you feel you are currently qualified to serve in this role, please contact Groundspeak and describe your qualifications.

For the record, I wouldn't have published the cache either.

Well one of the mods kindly added the link to this thread to the cache notes and called my attention to the subject. I am the reviewer who took over both caches of the OP and who denied the caches for the mentioned reasons. The OP clearly thought there was a problem with the reviewer so he asked for a new one, which was carried away almost immediately, just to have the other reviewer basically saying the same things AND disabling the cache until all of the problems were fixed.

I'm ok with the "my reviewer sucks" things. No need to ban or warn the user. I'm used to this feedback, sometimes cloaked under false smiles and fine irony. I just hope the CO finds this thread and the feedback he got educational.

I think it takes a special kind of person to do the job of a reviewer. I don't think I could do it.
Me neither.

Don't sell yourself short. I don't see it as being that difficult. Not easy (esp. when you have various long tasks, property verification, etc.), just persistent, objective, resourceful.

Sapience Trek *is* a reviewer (look at the tag line in the post that you quoted), which makes that response funnier because you can't tell if the comment is about themselves or BBWolf

You can see the reviewer's track record? :huh:

I'm in awe of your secret powers! :lol:

The 'force' is with me. "These aren't the caches you're looking for". ;-)

But seriously...it is just reading comprehension and tracking, talking with other cachers, reading the forum(s) etc. Not hard to get a decent idea of any cacher, reviewer, moderator, etc. I can't imagine it is that hard.

I believe that WeatherWarrior mentioned that he's a storm chaser...someone that intentionally goes out and gets as close as possible to tornadoes and hurricanes.

It sounds to me like he's eminently qualified for the job.

Is reviewing and publishing a power trail like being in the 'bear's cage' of a supercell maybe ;-) There is hail, rain, tornadoes, debris, etc. all around you, but somehow you always know the way out safely. :ph34r:

The closest thing I've been in like that was being at the top of the empire state building in the middle of a thunderstorm. The lightning rod at the top of the building was struck three times while I was up there.

Nevermind. It was the frustration of the moment. Im newbe on creation of geocaches and i just wanted another opinion.

I can be very frustrating having your cache turned down.

A few questions this brings up

Would an improved translation of the guidelines or the cache submission form have helped?

What can be done to encourage new cachers to read and understand the guideline beyond checking a box? One suggestion that has been made in the past is to require you to pass a quiz on the guidelines before you can submit a cache.

Nevermind. It was the frustration of the moment. Im newbe on creation of geocaches and i just wanted another opinion.

Would an improved translation of the guidelines or the cache submission form have helped?

What can be done to encourage new cachers to read and understand the guideline beyond checking a box? One suggestion that has been made in the past is to require you to pass a quiz on the guidelines before you can submit a cache.

Both the listing guidelines and the cache submission form are available in Portuguese through the website language selection functionality. These translations are supplied by native language volunteer translators - not by Google. A great deal of programming resources have been dedicated to this project in recent years. Portuguese was one of the earliest translations.

I don't think that's the problem here, unless the OP says that the wrong word for "schools" was used. It says "escolas."

Both the listing guidelines and the cache submission form are available in Portuguese through the website language selection functionality. These translations are supplied by native language volunteer translators - not by Google. A great deal of programming resources have been dedicated to this project in recent years. Portuguese was one of the earliest translations.

I don't think that's the problem here, unless the OP says that the wrong word for "schools" was used. It says "escolas."

Did I not read that you did some of the translation?

Sapience Trek *is* a reviewer (look at the tag line in the post that you quoted), which makes that response funnier because you can't tell if the comment is about themselves or BBWolf

I skimmed right over that. I tend to respond to messages. Heck, many times I don't even look at who posted. But that is funny.

The closest thing I've been in like that was being at the top of the empire state building in the middle of a thunderstorm. The lightning rod at the top of the building was struck three times while I was up there.

That is awesome. I've been struck (enough to hurt like hell, not enough to do damage). But that would have been awesome to experience and film.

God, I hope not!

Just did one this morning.

Kid has nine finds and started Feb 25th.

Awesome 2+ mile walk with a unusual, well-stocked container (med) along a rock ridge with a great view and coords spot-on.

- And local too. Had a ball!

Holy bear droppings. You title a thread with "My reviewer sucks" and then you claim frustration as a newbie? Unbelievable. :o

The best way to get another opinion is to simply ask for one in a nice way. Not taking something like this to the forums in an attempt to discredit someone that without a doubt has eons more experience than you.

Gotta admit though this whole thread has been a hoot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

God, I hope not!

Awesome 2+ mile walk with a unusual, well-stocked container (med) along a rock ridge with a great view and coords spot-on.

Would being sure the hider understood the rules, excuse me, guidelines have changed that cache? Would a short quiz have eliminated this persons creativity?

God, I hope not!

Would being sure the hider understood the rules, excuse me, guidelines have changed that cache? Would a short quiz have eliminated this persons creativity?

No, but-and I hate to say it-some(I said some, not all or most) younger people would be discouraged from hiding a cache at all, if they had to do some sort of quiz. It could be though of as too much work and not worth it. I've seen it before in other parts of life. They have to copy a few things from their resume to a job application-It's not worth their time. They do something wrong and are told nicely how to do it correctly the next time so they quit their job.

On the plus side it might weed out the people who join and cache for a month.Not saying they are bad cacher, but what I've seen they make bad caches, or they make good ones and don't maintain them.

God, I hope not!

No, but-and I hate to say it-some(I said some, not all or most) younger people would be discouraged from hiding a cache at all, if they had to do some sort of quiz. It could be though of as too much work and not worth it. I've seen it before in other parts of life. They have to copy a few things from their resume to a job application-It's not worth their time. They do something wrong and are told nicely how to do it correctly the next time so they quit their job.

On the plus side it might weed out the people who join and cache for a month.Not saying they are bad cacher, but what I've seen they make bad caches, or they make good ones and don't maintain them.

Somehow I doubt that a player with enough ambition and creativity to come up with the cache you described is going to be deterred by a few questions that can be answered from the other open tab.

God, I hope not!

Somehow I doubt that a player with enough ambition and creativity to come up with the cache you described is going to be deterred by a few questions that can be answered from the other open tab.

That's what I meant in my last part of the post. The ones with the ambition may not(In my theory anyway) take the test and won't be hiding the cracked film cans and LPC's with Google Earth-yes I know that won't be how it always works, but if we had that test...well my first hides wouldn't be bad as they where.

That's what I meant in my last part of the post. The ones with the ambition may not(In my theory anyway) take the test and won't be hiding the cracked film cans and LPC's with Google Earth-yes I know that won't be how it always works, but if we had that test...well my first hides wouldn't be bad as they where.

As much as I'd love for newbie cachers to have all read and understood the guidelines, I don't think requiring someone to pass a quiz before placing their first cache is even remotely likely.

The geocaching overlords are interested in attracting new cachers. The draw, presumably, is that geocaching is fun. Having to take a quiz before hiding a cache is not fun. If I were a new cacher and learned that I would have to study a bunch of rules and regulations and pass a test before hiding a cache, the first thing that would remind me of is taking the test for my driver's license. Which was not, by any stretch, fun. That would most likely inspire me to look for another way to spend my free time.

In theory, it sounds great. In the real world, I just can't see it happening.

--Larry

God, I hope not!

Sorry, off topic

The question has been batted around awhile and nothings come of it.

No one is aware of what any "quiz" would entail if there ever was one.

What if it's more than you assume and the kid doesn't pass?

- He leaves the hobby disgruntled and we lose a decent hider.

Heck, we still have people caching longer than any of us making swag trades with trackables found in other's hides, digging, soft coords, ...

God, I hope not!

Sorry, off topic

The question has been batted around awhile and nothings come of it.

No one is aware of what any "quiz" would entail if there ever was one.

What if it's more than you assume and the kid doesn't pass?

- He leaves the hobby disgruntled and we lose a decent hider.

Heck, we still have people caching longer than any of us making swag trades with trackables found in other's hides, digging, soft coords, ...

When this idea came up in the past (It was actually marked as "considering" in the old feedback forums, lots of ideas were tossed around. One of them was that the "quiz" would have 10 or so questions that could be answered by reading the placement guidelines. If you answered a question in correctly it will tell you what the correct answer should be, and then you could take it again as often as needed. The point isn't so much to "pass" the test as it is to reenforce what that guideline are and that those that place a cache have, in fact, read the guidelines.

hi,

its the second time that the reviewer "btreviewer" denied the publication of my geocache by invented reasons. I demand that another reviewer review the page of my geocache. I am sure that is in conformity.

GC46BX1 "Red One"

ya i hear ya i wish we could change

Reviewers are volunteer Geocachers, just like you. Flaming them in the forums is unlikely to make them more responsive. If you want our advice, please post details of the cache and the reasons given for non-publication. While forum members cannot get your reviewer decision reversed, we may be able to assist you in modifying your cache to resolve your reviewer's issues.

uhh volunteer reviewers ya id love to be a reviewer but i will never be able to be one doesnt matter how many times i ask

id love to be a reviewer in my area but that is impossible you have to be voted in its not just a volunteer person

God, I hope not!

i wouldnt mind doing a quiz im a younger person just do a basic guidelines quiz and if the person fails than they didnt read the guidelines and you obvisouly have met losers sorry to say but if you cant fill out a job application than you have met some lazy people hell most of the people my age know better that you have to fill everything out its called getting a job its called life

Holy bear droppings. You title a thread with "My reviewer sucks" and then you claim frustration as a newbie? Unbelievable. :o

The best way to get another opinion is to simply ask for one in a nice way. Not taking something like this to the forums in an attempt to discredit someone that without a doubt has eons more experience than you.

Gotta admit though this whole thread has been a hoot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

but theres experience and theres EXPERIENCE haha

It's called punctuation and grammar.

I wouldn't mind doing a quiz,and I'm a younger person. Just do a basic guidelines quiz, and if the person fails, then they didn't read the guidelines. You obviously have met losers. Sorry to say, but if you can't fill out a job application, then you have met some lazy people. Hell most of the people my age know better that you have to fill everything out. It's called getting a job. It's called life.

There, I fixed it for you.

Now will you just go away....hopefully back to school?

Edited by T.D.M.22

It's called punctuation and grammar.

I wouldn't mind doing a quiz,and I'm a younger person. Just do a basic guidelines quiz, and if the person fails, then they didn't read the guidelines. You obviously have met losers. Sorry to say, but if you can't fill out a job application, then you have met some lazy people. Hell most of the people my age know better that you have to fill everything out. It's called getting a job. It's called life.

There, I fixed it for you.

Now will you just go away....hopefully back to school?

dont have to go away free country:) but thanks for telling me im doing my job right:)

and do i care? you can sit there and fix my whole novel paragraph sentences if thats what helps you sleep at night

but i do agree i do want a new reviewer and id love to be a reviewer i feel as a reviewer i would have a certain area and have to actual get up and go out there and see if the cache is actual there is it a proper container is there some sort of geocaching sticker or knowledge of the game on the container..because oh wait if i went to half of the geocaches in my area i dont see a sticker i see sharpie that once was on there a long time ago saying geocache theres noting on the inside or nanos no geocaching sticker nothing but theres rules and guidelines

but i do agree i do want a new reviewer and id love to be a reviewer i feel as a reviewer i would have a certain area and have to actual get up and go out there and see if the cache is actual there is it a proper container is there some sort of geocaching sticker or knowledge of the game on the container..because oh wait if i went to half of the geocaches in my area i dont see a sticker i see sharpie that once was on there a long time ago saying geocache theres noting on the inside or nanos no geocaching sticker nothing but theres rules and guidelines

Not that simple. Well not for all reviewers anyway. My reviewer is located in Nelson, BC. I live in Medicine Hat, AB. I have been from Southern Alberta to an hour north of Edmonton and it is the same reviewer...When that reviewer is unavailable the other one is from either Ontario, or Quebec, I think.

Not that simple. Well not for all reviewers anyway. My reviewer is located in Nelson, BC. I live in Medicine Hat, AB. I have been from Southern Alberta to an hour north of Edmonton and it is the same reviewer...When that reviewer is unavailable the other one is from either Ontario, or Quebec, I think.

not that hard to get reviewers in the area so i dont see your point.

not that hard to get reviewers in the area so i dont see your point.

or have one reviewer that may not even be in the area and have 5 or 6 people to run out and check if the cache is real

or have one reviewer that may not even be in the area and have 5 or 6 people to run out and check if the cache is real

Might work...If there where enough volunteers. Not everyone has the thick skin that you do. Lot's of people could do the work but when it comes to the whole-The reviewer is wrong!! They know nothing. I know everything even though I've only been caching 3 days. I demand them to publish my cache with bad co-ords that's on private property without permission. It shouldn't matter if it's 12 feet from another cache.

Anyway...The locations with lots of regular cachers-like where you're from-if there is a problem a NA or a email to a reviewer will be sent and it will be dealt with accordingly. You saw that on your one cache.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Might work...If there where enough volunteers. Not everyone has the thick skin that you do. Lot's of people could do the work but when it comes to the whole-The reviewer is wrong!! They know nothing. I know everything even though I've only been caching 3 days. I demand them to publish my cache with bad co-ords that's on private property without permission. It shouldn't matter if it's 12 feet from another cache.

i agree after three days and you are demanding to publish a cache that you may not know what they are doing there may be cases that of course i could be proven wrong on this. but when you have your cache not published for a reason and than you got to another cache that day and find it got published but yours didnt you start to wonder

Anyway...The locations with lots of regular cachers-like where you're from-if there is a problem a NA or a email to a reviewer will be sent and it will be dealt with accordingly. You saw that on your one cache.

actual most caches here dont get dealt with...but if you would like to assume they do and most dont follow the guidelines or theres been a few on private property but people think that thats part of the game you know running on some guys lawn and the rush i guess? haha well i guess i could understand the rush:P but the legal part. and i still dont agree i still think there should be another reviewer doing it not geocachers geocachers can mention things but when it comes down to it the reviewer who actual got up walked out there to look at the cache should get the say

actual most caches here dont get dealt with...but if you would like to assume they do and most dont follow the guidelines or theres been a few on private property but people think that thats part of the game you know running on some guys lawn and the rush i guess? haha well i guess i could understand the rush:P but the legal part. and i still dont agree i still think there should be another reviewer doing it not geocachers geocachers can mention things but when it comes down to it the reviewer who actual got up walked out there to look at the cache should get the say

Your long posts are really difficult to understand without basic punctuation in them, but I thought I'd just mention that reviewers don't go out to each cache location to see where the cache has been placed.

MrsB

Your long posts are really difficult to understand without basic punctuation in them, but I thought I'd just mention that reviewers don't go out to each cache location to see where the cache has been placed.

MrsB

oh i know they dont trust me:P

and...haha

uhh volunteer reviewers ya id love to be a reviewer but i will never be able to be one doesnt matter how many times i ask

Yeah, publicly announcing that you're hiding a cache that looks like a pipe bomb will tend to kill any chance you may have had at being a reviewer...

This thread illustrates the need for remedial reviewers for cachers that have problems understanding the guidelines and need things carefully explained to them very slowly. They would have to be versed in dealing with anger management issues as well. I don't think that there would be any volunteers, so it would probably have to be a paid position. :P

Yeah, publicly announcing that you're hiding a cache that looks like a pipe bomb will tend to kill any chance you may have had at being a reviewer...

oh ya because that would be the reason...haha

id love to be a reviewer in my area but that is impossible you have to be voted in its not just a volunteer person

Well being completely incapable of using punctuation isn't going to help your case any. Your posts are a nightmare to make any sense of, so you'll need to up your game a bit.