GPSMap 60CSx sudden weak reception

I have a problem with my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. I've had this unit since 2006 and it's worked wonderfully: until two weeks ago. The last two times I've used it, it's taken ages to get a fix (first time 1/2 hour and next time 15 minutes). Even once it's got a fix, satellite reception stays weak, accuracy is low (the unit gives accuracy values around 30m) and it easily loses the fix again. The batteries are also drained very fast. This happens in a region where, a month ago, the unit was working perfectly. I haven't changed anything, the maps have been on the SD card for more than a year and the firmware is up to date.

Does anybody have an idea what might be going on, and what I could possibly do about it?

Assuming other receivers are working well in the same area (i.e. you arent' experiencing jamming) - there could be a wide variety of explanations.

Antenna detachment from circuit board (or other component in device failing).

Software faults. Try a factory reset and/or reflashing the firmware.

Two possible things.

My unit, after I upgraded the firmware (because I had no choice if I wanted to use the 4GB map card I bought) started a new misbehavior. If I turn the unit off, then turn it back on within a few minutes, would get into a state like you describe, and if it ever got enough satellites, it would sometimes report a position that was off by a dramatic distance, like miles. I found that powering off and on again is usually enough to fix that. (You see why I resist upgrading software from Garmin?)

Or, it could be something different, which could be fixed by a hard reset. You'd need to google "60CSx hard reset" to find out how (I can never remember), and it'll reset everything to factory defaults, so remove the memory card first and back up anything else like waypoints you might want to keep.

Oh, before you try a hard reset, simply try removing the card and powering up. Maybe something bad on the card is disturbing it. (EDIT: ...though I doubt it.)

Good luck, and please let us know how it went.

Edited by Viajero Perdido