Upload login failure

firennice

I have done a number of cartridges so I know the process, but now I suddenly am getting a failure.

I completed my cartridge, and go to upload and it tells me it needs to upload to log in. But my upload fails. I have then tried to log in via the browser to make a difference. Nothing. I downloaded Urwigo, hoping to load it into there, but it will not open any Wherigo files.

Any ideas?

I logged in on my browser, and land then tried to upload the carridge. I entered my name, and left the password blank, and it uploaded the cartridge.

However. I modified an older Wherigo (new name, descriptions, locations). The new one I created at location B, overwrote and replaced the one I had done 5 months ago for location A, it did not create a new cartridge. Any ideas?

Edited by firennice

I can understand why the copied one overwrote the one you did before. I believe the site identifies cartridges by an identifier set within the lua file (the cartridge's GUID). If the author has a cartridge with the same GUID, the site interprets that as a new version of the cartridge and overwrites it. That's what I believe is happening, anyway.

I also don't see how you can log in to the site by leaving your password blank.

You'll have to a little more clear in what else you're asking for me to figure out what you're experiencing. I think you're saying you're using Groundspeak's Builder to create a cartridge and you're using its upload feature to send the cartridge to the Wherigo site. It asks for your user name and password, tries to upload, and says the upload had an error. Is this correct so far? Then you create the GWZ and try to upload it manually into the site. How far do you get? Do you get to the place with all the text boxes (where you can edit the name and description) or does the site show you an error? After this, it seems you downloaded Urwigo and tried to load the cartridge into it only for the import to fail.

If I correctly understood what you're asking, I would like for you to either post a zip file of your cartridge within this thread or email the GWZ to me. Perhaps Groundspeak's Builder didn't remove a reference correctly or there is something else wrong with the cartridge. Such a problem can be resolved by someone with experience looking at the cartridge.

I am not at home, so I am going from memory...

I created in in the Groundspeak Builder. In the builder, when I go to upload and compile it to the Wherigo site, it tells me I need to log into Wherigo.com. I try and get an error that a name/password fail.

Nothing happens at that point and I am back to where I was, trying name passwords over and over. I tried the different capital/non-capital letters in my name just in case. No luck.

However I did go into Firefox and log into the Wherigo site (after the initial tries). At that point I went to try again. More name/password failures. After yelling at my cat, (that does not seem to help by the way) I had my name in the builder name/password screen and just hit enter. I got an email message of failure. Then Firefox popped to the screen that appears when you successfully load in a cartridge.

Looking at the history it had overwritten the old history tour of City A with the new one I was making in City B. So I opened city A's Wherigo and repeated the process to over write with the correct tour.

Clear as mud?

I will look for the cartridge info when I get home later, after work.

Huh. So it wouldn't let you log in to the site at all with your password, not even within a browser? That is odd.

I can see why it overwrote A's cartridge, so I'm not as concerned about that (the cartridge's internal GUID just needs to be changed). I can walk you through the steps to change the GUID so the site recognizes B as a new cartridge.

As long as you can compile and run the cartridge in the emulator, I don't need to see it as this would mean the site isn't failing because the cartridge has an error.

Whenever I tried to send the cartridge from the builder it failed

-except-

when I had already logged into the website, and left the login password in the builder blank. Then it uploaded. I will grab some screenshots later, to show.

Edited by firennice

Here are a few screenshots

I try and enter my name/password and get this error

8531689874_28c319bbb3_z.jpg

failed1 by firennice, on Flickr

If I enter only my name (as shown here)

8530577689_db11bdccc7_z.jpg

failed2 by firennice, on Flickr

when I click enter without entering a password I get this message

8530577759_2da432f241_z.jpg

failed3 by firennice, on Flickr

However immediately after it loads and I get this screen. Note that I am not logged into Wherigo (behind), and I never put a password in the software.

8530577853_cb983ae620_z.jpg

failed4 by firennice, on Flickr

This does not appear to work on new cartridges, only ones I am updating.

On a side, how to I create a GWZ file on my machine to upload? Rather than a GWC, and not creating it by uploading it?

Oh.. text editor to edit the GUID #?

Edited by firennice

Oh, wow. I hope that's not a security flaw in the site: try logging in as one person, then use a blank password for another and a cartridge with a GUID for that other person.

For the GUID, yes, a text editor would work for that. Just increment a number within it and you'll be fine.