Geocaching in France

Mole60

Hi, I am going to France later this year and hope to do a little bit of geocaching. I know I will fly into Paris and stay for 2-3 days. Then I will be going to the Dordogne district. Does anyone know if specific maps of France are necessary? I use a Colorado 300. Is there a website where there are free online maps I could download?

Many thanks for your help,

Mole60

I always use OSM maps when traveling to a city. Also in Paris the quality of maps was no issue.

Going off roads onto tracks it strongly the quality of the OSM maps depents on the local GPS users. Quality varies, although the need to get a good quality map also depends on your geocaching plans. As long as you stay close to roads OSM is never an issue.

Have fun in France!

Moose61

OSM maps look promising. How do I download it to GPSr? When I downloaded a Singapore map recently, I did it onto an SD card (on my Colorado 300) making sure it was put in the GPX folder. But I could not check till I got to Singapore. Then when I went to Singapore I turned on the GPSr and miraculously (so it seemed to me because I'm not very techy) the caches that I had in my pocket query showed up in the map.

Is it the same process?

Mole60