Mexican Restaurants

I live in the Oregon, home to a large number of authentic Mexican food restaurants. There is one Waymarking category that comes close: Tex-Mex Restaurants http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=2f285b0e-f825-4505-a98f-665c10df88ed&r=10. However, nobody in the Pacific Northwest refers to a Mexican Restaurant as "Tex-Mex." And one of the four required attributes for entry of a waymark into the Tex Mex category is that the restaurant must serve margaritas. In short, lack of a liquor license eliminates a lot of potential Waymarking candidates, even though the establishment may meet all other requirements.

So here are two ideas:

1) Expand Tex-Mex to include a broader range of authentic Mexican food items. It seems easy easy to do: simply revise the description to exclude fast food chains (Taco Bell) but eliminate the alcoholic beverage requirement. I'd suggest renaming the category "Mexican Restaurants." And I'd suggest making the beef fajitas "optional" as there are some restaurants that sell a broad number of items but maybe not Beef Fajitas. There's a great one near me that specializes in Mexico City street foods, such as pambazo (a torta with a chile-spiced bun), huarache (fried masa with toppings), as well as more typical items like tacos and burritos. But no beef fajitas and no alcohol.

2) Create a new category that somehow excludes Tex Mex and Taco Bell entries. The problem here, though, is that the Tex Mex category already includes approved Waymarks that would better fit any proposed definition of "Non-chain Mexican Restaurants" or something similar. I've even seen people write "Mex without the Tex" in the short description. It seems like a new category would open things up to needless duplication.

So I've previously tried approaching some of the officers of the Tex Mex category about the idea of expanding it, and the only response I've ever received was from one who said "personally I'm not too picky reviewing this category. Tex mex really runs the gamut of both ends of the scale. Your more likely to get declined for missing pictures than the menu." But, nobody will take charge and actually revise the posting instructions and description, leaving me feeling not good about the idea of submitting Waymarks where I know that the restaurant isn't really "Tex Mex" as defined in the category requirements.

Any thoughts on what to do here? Maybe this just speaks to the issue of non-involved / non-responsive category leaders. Or maybe we really do "need" a new category specific to Non-Fast Food Mexican restaurants that don't really fit the Tex Mex category.

I live in the Oregon, home to a large number of authentic Mexican food restaurants.

You should try the ones in Tucson! I wanted to waymark several, but as you pointed out for your restaurants, they didn't quite meet the category requirements. Glad you brought this up for discussion in the forums.

1) Expand Tex-Mex to include a broader range of authentic Mexican food items. It seems easy easy to do: simply revise the description to exclude fast food chains (Taco Bell) but eliminate the alcoholic beverage requirement. I'd suggest renaming the category "Mexican Restaurants." And I'd suggest making the beef fajitas "optional" as there are some restaurants that sell a broad number of items but maybe not Beef Fajitas. There's a great one near me that specializes in Mexico City street foods, such as pambazo (a torta with a chile-spiced bun), huarache (fried masa with toppings), as well as more typical items like tacos and burritos. But no beef fajitas and no alcohol.

The leader JimmyEv is inactive since 2009. The best idea would be to write Checkmark that you like to be the new leader. After that, you could work on the category description. Perhaps Groundspeak will change the name to "Mexican Restaurants" if you are the new leader you could try it. Good luck.

I live in Oregon too and my hometown has more Mexican Restaurants than churches! Almost true... :anibad:

In any case, one issue is constant with many of these Mexican Restaurants in my town: They come and go more frequently than the weather! I could probably count on two hands the number of restaurants that have opened and closed within a year or two. That's just in my town. I can only imagine how many other Mexican restaurants have done the same elsewhere.

Nonetheless, you bring up a good proposal AND issue with certain Waymarking categories which are led by officers that are just too laissez faire with any suggestions or changes to their categories. I've run across this NUMEROUS times when appealing to certain individuals who are officers in categories of which I've proposed making a change or addition. I get NOTHING as far as feedback. It gets frustrating. Especially when many of these officers haven't logged onto Waymarking in months or even YEARS. It's pathetic and I wish Groundspeak would do something about it and be more proactive instead of reactive.

I'll try appealing to the Tex-Mex officers and see what answers I get and write any reply here... :anitongue:

one issue is constant with many of these Mexican Restaurants in my town: They come and go more frequently than the weather! I could probably count on two hands the number of restaurants that have opened and closed within a year or two. That's just in my town. I can only imagine how many other Mexican restaurants have done the same.

Perky's Taqueria Paradigm: carpe taco -- taquerias are frequently here today and gone tomorrow. :( but we can remember them by their awesome pastor or lengua or barbacoa or weird yellow salsa or house made fresh corn tortillas pressed and grilled before your eyes.

I'm hungry now -- Taqueria la cotorra, anybody? No? How about La paisanitas de Oaxaca, then? :)

Max and 99 -- the Navajo-style Mexican food in Phoenix ain't bad neither! :)

And don't get me started on New Mexico style Mexican food!!! C H O M P!!

You JUST had to go there with the New Mexico Mexican food - now I'm REALLY craving a green chile burrito. Can't get a good one in Kansas City!

You JUST had to go there with the New Mexico Mexican food - now I'm REALLY craving a green chile burrito. Can't get a good one in Kansas City!

Can't get a good one in Dallas either -- unless you come to my house!! My green chile is awe-some!!! :) And I share recipes with my friends :) :) :)

I live in the Oregon, home to a large number of authentic Mexican food restaurants. There is one Waymarking category that comes close: Tex-Mex Restaurants http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=2f285b0e-f825-4505-a98f-665c10df88ed&r=10. However, nobody in the Pacific Northwest refers to a Mexican Restaurant as "Tex-Mex." And one of the four required attributes for entry of a waymark into the Tex Mex category is that the restaurant must serve margaritas. In short, lack of a liquor license eliminates a lot of potential Waymarking candidates, even though the establishment may meet all other requirements.

So here are two ideas:

2) Create a new category that somehow excludes Tex Mex and Taco Bell entries. The problem here, though, is that the Tex Mex category already includes approved Waymarks that would better fit any proposed definition of "Non-chain Mexican Restaurants" or something similar. I've even seen people write "Mex without the Tex" in the short description. It seems like a new category would open things up to needless duplication.

So I've previously tried approaching some of the officers of the Tex Mex category about the idea of expanding it, and the only response I've ever received was from one who said "personally I'm not too picky reviewing this category. Tex mex really runs the gamut of both ends of the scale. Your more likely to get declined for missing pictures than the menu." But, nobody will take charge and actually revise the posting instructions and description, leaving me feeling not good about the idea of submitting Waymarks where I know that the restaurant isn't really "Tex Mex" as defined in the category requirements.

Any thoughts on what to do here? Maybe this just speaks to the issue of non-involved / non-responsive category leaders. Or maybe we really do "need" a new category specific to Non-Fast Food Mexican restaurants that don't really fit the Tex Mex category.

I've added you to the group.

Can't get a good one in Dallas either -- unless you come to my house!! My green chile is awe-some!!! :) And I share recipes with my friends :) :) :)

Ummm.... do I JUST show at your door with a plate? I'll be in the Dallas area starting next week loading up on some FINE Texas waymarks and caches. :D I'm hoping to fill several people's inboxes while I'm in the area!

Well it looks like I'm now an officer in the Tex-Mex category. So I'll work up some proposed revisions to that category description. A good point made in this thread: "taquerias are frequently here today and gone tomorrow." That's true of businesses in general and, especially, restaurants. There's a category called "Independent Hot Dog Restaurants" and in the several attempts I've made to visit an existing waymark, all I've come up with so far are empty buildings - and continued hunger pangs!

Anyway, thanks for the input; I'll give some more thought on what to do (although ordering something at a taqueria is first on my list). My inclination is to propose altering this category to include any "non-national chain" Mexican restaurant of any type. That will leave a "gap" in Mexican-type food coverage: there is a Taco Bell category under Chain Restaurants, but there are other national/regional chains that deal in food that while I'd hesitate to call it "Mexican," it doesn't currently have a Waymarking home: Taco Time, Del Taco and Taco Del Mar are the most common in my area. If someone else cares enough, I suppose they can create new chain restaurant categories for those.

Ummm.... do I JUST show at your door with a plate? I'll be in the Dallas area starting next week loading up on some FINE Texas waymarks and caches. :D I'm hoping to fill several people's inboxes while I'm in the area!

So you're in Dallas for Spring Break? I'm going to Kansas!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Okay here's what I came up with:

Link to Tex Mex category

Unfortunately, I guess I can't edit the actual title of the category. That's disappointing but with "Mexican" and "Southwestern" in the search terms, maybe it doesn't matter. I didn't change any of the variables (so as not to lose information others took time to add), but I did make a couple of them "optional" to avoid limiting entries for the reasons I described in my first post.

Any thoughts or suggested edits? You might wonder about the statement "outside of Mexico" - I modeled that after the Japanese Restaurants category because literally every restaurant in Mexico could be defined as "Mexican" since it's in Mexico and I didn't think we would want them all listed here.

Unfortunately, I guess I can't edit the actual title of the category. That's disappointing but with "Mexican" and "Southwestern" in the search terms, maybe it doesn't matter.

Send an email to Checkmark with the suggested changes and justification, he can take it from there.

Edited by BruceS

You might wonder about the statement "outside of Mexico" - I modeled that after the Japanese Restaurants category because literally every restaurant in Mexico could be defined as "Mexican" since it's in Mexico and I didn't think we would want them all listed here.

Be careful about saying those things in the forums. Just wait... now someone will submit a McDonalds to the "Mexican Restaurant" category because of your statement. :D

Just kidding! Looking forward to submitting a Mexican restaurant in the revised category.

So you're in Dallas for Spring Break? I'm going to Kansas!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nice! At least it's supposed to be warmer next week, and all of our two feet of snow is gone! You coming up for the b-ball tourney?