Mis-reporting Distinct Caches Found In "Statistics"

Tom n Chris

I have been working with a friend (cyclep&p) to resolve a difference in cache count between caches found and distinct caches. His count difference is four more finds than distinct caches. There are no caches logged twice, however he has four instances each with a duplicate named cache (different GCs). In all four cases, one of the pair of identical cache names has been archived. Valid finds were logged on all eight (4 caches x 2 names) of the caches. It appears that the "Distinct" count may be done by cache name rather than GC code. (reference GC2A7HR & GC1FW40, both named 'By George!' also, GCRETG & GCT7T2, both named 'Get Smart' the other two duplicate names are Lake View and Sunrise Park)

I highly doubt a duplicate cache name is to blame here.

How SURE are you that you don't have duplicate logs on the same cache?

Stats are based on gc codes because they are guaranteed to be unique, where cache names aren't, and there are 1000's of examples of duplicates. This would be a highly reported bug if that were true.

A quick check on the Project Geocaching site (project-gc.com) reveals the four caches with duplicate logs. Just enter the cacher's name on the "find bad logs" tab and you'll find: GC2PB24, GC2JMJ6, GCY40A, and GC1F5WD.

I wish Groundspeak would provide some type of warning when attempting to log a cache more than once.

I have been working with a friend (cyclep&p) to resolve a difference in cache count between caches found and distinct caches. His count difference is four more finds than distinct caches. There are no caches logged twice, however he has four instances each with a duplicate named cache (different GCs). In all four cases, one of the pair of identical cache names has been archived. Valid finds were logged on all eight (4 caches x 2 names) of the caches. It appears that the "Distinct" count may be done by cache name rather than GC code. (reference GC2A7HR & GC1FW40, both named 'By George!' also, GCRETG & GCT7T2, both named 'Get Smart' the other two duplicate names are Lake View and Sunrise Park)

It doesn't have anything to do with duplicate cache names. The find count is based on the distinct GC codes.

If there are discrepancies, then there are duplicate (or more) "found it" logs posted.

For example:

GC2PB24

cyclep&p posted two "found it" logs:

Found it

04/07/2012

Decided to do a few in the park on a beautiful spring day, thanks for the fun!

Found it

12/03/2011

Cache in good shape, nice park will return later with bike and do the restof the caches here. Thanks for the fun!

To find multiple logs for a cache by searching cache pages, you need to make sure that all the logs have loaded. With caches that have a lot of logs, that can take scrolling down quite a few times.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

cyclep&p has found 1840 caches (1836 distinct) since 10/09/2004.

GC2PB24

Found it

04/07/2012

Decided to do a few in the park on a beautiful spring day, thanks for the fun!

Found it

12/03/2011

Cache in good shape, nice park will return later with bike and do the restof the caches here. Thanks for the fun!

GC2JMJ6

Found it

04/07/2012

Trying to find a few in the park, with my sister Donna. Thanks for the fun!

Found it

12/03/2011

Liked the park and decided to come back with my bike and do the rest of them here. Thanks for the fun. Nice day to be with my sister and Patty. It is about 60 degrees and no wind.

GCY40A

Found it

02/21/2013

Out in the area cleaning up a few that I missed last time. Thanks for the fun!

Found it

02/19/2013

Out on a mini power run today, what a beautiful day and I found them all!

GC1F5WD

Found it

10/22/2012

Found with buddy Tom L. We are having such a good time riding and caching. Thanks for the fun!

Found it

10/09/2008

Nice fall day and finding a lot of caches today,TNLN,TFTC

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol