Found a cache that isn't enabled or logged

Hello,

We are fairly new to the sport and only on our fourth trip out. Whilst following a trail, we just randomly happened on a cache which wasn't listed on my PQ. When Igot home, I checked on the geocaching map, but there is nothing registered where we found it (it hadn't been moved, it was definitely in the right place)

Is there a way to find if there WAS a cache there that may have been archived? Other people have been signing the log recently too.

(If anyone local happens to read this, and is from round here, it was at the Hautbois crossing on the Bure Valley Railway in Norfolk)

Many thanks :)

It could also be a cache that was submitted and denied. Happens all the time. Some never return to retrieve it... various reasons, i.e. "vacation" cache; one-time-and-forget-it cacher; a first hide failure that put the hider into a tiff; etc.

Typically, it would (should) have the GC# in the log or on the cache. Helps to use that number, it usually tells a lot. It would come up with the archived listing if such is the case OR it would say "Unpublished Cache" and nothing more. If the number is not a geocaching.com number, it would say something along the lines of not a valid ID# or the like.

Hello,

We are fairly new to the sport and only on our fourth trip out. Whilst following a trail, we just randomly happened on a cache which wasn't listed on my PQ. When Igot home, I checked on the geocaching map, but there is nothing registered where we found it (it hadn't been moved, it was definitely in the right place)

Is there a way to find if there WAS a cache there that may have been archived? Other people have been signing the log recently too.

(If anyone local happens to read this, and is from round here, it was at the Hautbois crossing on the Bure Valley Railway in Norfolk)

Many thanks :)

There are a number of possible explanations. As you suggest, it could be an archived cache that some cachers are still logging. Difficult to locate details unless a knowledgeable local cacher responds to this thread.

The other plausible explanation is that you have stumbled on the final stage of a multi or mystery cache where the final cache is not at the published coords. I don't know the area so you may need to do the investigative work to see if anything fits.

One other thought is that it could have been a cache from other listing sites as Groundspeak doesn't quite have a total monopoly.

If you are up for some further investigation you could pop back to the cache and if their isn't any name or GC code on the log/container you could note down some of the names/dates and then search under 'found by user' on the search for a cache page.

Another alternative if you are really keen is to note some of the names of some of your most prolific local cachers and drop them an e-mail to see if they can steer you in the right direction.

If no-one has found it yet it may be waiting to be published-or on the other hand someone tried to publish it and it was not approved and was just left there.

It sounds like it is most likely a recently archived cache or a multi-cache or an "Unknown" cache.

Which cache(s) are the closest to it?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Or if all else fails, you could email a reviewer with the co-ords and they might be able to tell you. The reviewer for your area is, I think, Red Duster.

I've had this before when a cacher was looking for one of my caches and found another cache. It turns out there was an archived cache there that hadn't been found in about 3 years...

Oddly enough a similar thing happened to me back in December, I spotted a hole in a tree and thought "that'd be a great place for a cache", and when I looked there was an unpublished cache (I know it's not a multi, puzzle or archived cache). I signed it. I was in the same area today and wondered if it was still there as it still hasn't been published, when I looked another 3 local cachers have found it since me and all wrote a note.

But I think in your case it's more likely to be a multi, puzzle or archived cache. The other alternative is it could be a cache listed on one of the other listing sites - there are several others!

Hi, bit late I know (missed the train).

This is the one that was by the foot crossing of the railway, as I recall it was in the top of a post or around a post somehow. If not then I have the archive links to several more round there as was said a lot were archived it was a cacher moved away from the area.

Regards Bernard

This is the one! Thanks so much :) and thanks everyone else, helps to know ways to navigate the site too.

Cheers all