Calibrate Compass on Etrex 20

qtbluemoon

Just bought an Etrex 20, and am trying to calibrate the compass. Per the manual, I'm supposed to Press Compass>menu>Calibrate Compass. When I select Compass>menu, the only options I have are Change Dashboard, View Geocache, Setup Heading, and Restore Defaults. After I "Restored Defaults," my options are now Change Data Fields, Change Dashboard, Setup Heading, and Restore Defaults, still no Calibrate Compass. What am I missing?

Edited by qtbluemoon

The '20' does not have a magnetic compass so no calibration is required.

But you do need to be moving for it to shown the correct heading.

Manual does state 'electronic', but I believe even electronics determine N from the earth's magnetic field. You really shouldn't have to be moving for a three-axis electronic to show N.

Automotive profile utilizes GPS heading -- that requires motion.

Now the older eTrex series.... that's a different story.

It also cautions one to avoid things that affect magnetic fields -- overhead power lines, vehicle bodies, buildings. That makes it sound magnetic to me.

EDIT: But... yes, there is a distinction. Electronic compasses work by 'sensing' the earth's magnetic field, not by swinging a needle as does a true magnetic compass.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Quick check on the Garmin website, only the eTrex30 has the electronic compass.

OK... the manual download is inclusive for the 10, 20 and 30 -- and it DOES say 30 has the electronic 3-axis.

That's what I get for 'speed-reading'.

My hat is off to you chillypenguin. :)

EDIT to add: chillypenguin is correct... you gotta be moving for the compass to point (properly). You cannot calibrate it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee