Attributes

Hey all,

I'm currently using a Dakota 20, that I've been happy with for the most part. I find myself looking for the attributes on caches I've downloaded with my phone (I have wifi only so no continual access with a date package) but I'd still prefer to use my GPS.

Is there any models of Garmins that will list the cache attributes with the cache information?

Not using PQ's yet. Still trying to figure how to make them. Tried once, but found "0" caches. Yes, I just recently changed account settings to GPX 1.0.1

Have GSAK, still trying to figure out how to use it. tongue_animated.gif

GSAK has a steeper learning curve than any GPS, but is worth your patience!

As suggested:

GPX 1.0.1 isn't supported on any GPSr I know of (not Garmin anyway) and can cause issues if loaded.

You can set to get PQ's as 1.0.1 and then use GSAK to send v1.0 to the GPS, with the attributes converted into text on the first log using this macro :)

Not using PQ's yet. Still trying to figure how to make them. Tried once, but found "0" caches. Yes, I just recently changed account settings to GPX 1.0.1

Have GSAK, still trying to figure out how to use it. tongue_animated.gif

With an excellent selection of macros, GSAK is a very powerful database program. You can experiment with a couple of macros that display attributes. Judging from my experience first with a Nuvi1350 and later with an Oregon550, the coding seems to work the same, only the screen size is different. I'll crank it up this week and see if I can post a couple of screenshots.

GPX 1.0.1 isn't supported on any GPSr I know of (not Garmin anyway) and can cause issues if loaded.

You can set to get PQ's as 1.0.1 and then use GSAK to send v1.0 to the GPS, with the attributes converted into text on the first log using this macro :)

Thanks for that link. I'm okay with just text attributes, as long as there's a way to list them.

Hoo boy... I see I got a lot to learn about it. But I'm having a hard time even figuring out the basics. Last time I tried to get it to upload some local caches, it left out a bunch and included a bunch more that were WAY out of the search parameters! Where do I go to even get started on the basics?

Edited by CacheHownds

Thanks for that link. I'm okay with just text attributes, as long as there's a way to list them.

Hoo boy... I see I got a lot to learn about it. But I'm having a hard time even figuring out the basics. Last time I tried to get it to upload some local caches, it left out a bunch and included a bunch more that were WAY out of the search parameters! Where do I go to even get started on the basics?

I ran across a couple of tutorials posted in the Southern Nevada geocachers facebook group. Does this help: GSAK Tutorials.

Here is the info about the current version as posted on GSAK

GarminExport 1.3.39 lignumaqua 2013-02-25 Universal Garmin GPX Export - Oregon,Colorado,Dakota,GPSMap 62,GPSMap 78, Montana

Using a database a few months old (don't cache in the winter...) I used the 'GarminExport' macro, v1.3.4., Oregon550 screen display of attributes. I set the macro to display the last 20 logs so the entries are sometimes quite big! BTW, my Nuvi1350 displays exactly the same info.

I also use GSAK to create a duplicate geocache file in a TourGuide format to have my Nuvi (and Oregon) sound off when I am "near" a cache.

cacheatts.jpg

I have a premium membership with Geocaching and I use GSAK 8.2.011

Nuvi1350: With geocache info loaded into GSAK via a Geocaching query, I use the macro Nuvi_GPX_by_CT_v086.Gsk. I load everything, maps, geocaches, extra gpx files, pictures, everything on a 4gb micro sd.

Iphone3G: The Geocaching app will download queries. Simply perform the query from your PC and then after a while, your App can download it, provided of course you are on the internet.