Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jthurle2

Forum participation

Recently I had some great responses to the questions I posted about informal learning occuring within an affinity space. Digital literacies develop through the use of online participation with e-books, fanfiction,video games, participation within forums, and the list goes on. I believe based on the crap-a** curriculum in place for our students holds no relevance to these digital natives.My participation with geocaching has been an awesome experience and I have even designed basic geo caching activities for my primary students in which many learning opportunities arise. I am looking for some input for my research on affinity spaces and the informal learning that can occur while playing this game and participating in this forum. Thirsty for knowledge on this topic.

Can learning occur within this game and online participation of this forum? Is this forum a community of practice? Is participation with geocaching something that could be implemented as part of curriculum in schools?

WOW! that was a huge post, sorry, just want some feedback :unsure:

Once again with the 'affinity-space' buzzword/term! :rolleyes:

Can you speak plain English, perhaps? :unsure:

I have had logs on my caches from groups of cachers stating they were a part of some sort of school group.

I have found caches that were apparently place by an after-school activity group.

So, yes, geocaching can be incorporated into the 'affinity space' of the traditional education system. I guess.

It would be questionable as to how much a student could learn by participating in these forums. They would likely be directed to a series of links to pages in the guidelines, and previously discussed topics without actually getting answers to their actual questions.

Moreover, unsupervised participation in these forums by persons under a certain age (14?) is inadvisable, and actually prohibited.

Can learning occur within this game and online participation of this forum?

You have two main problems:

1) Participating in forum discussions on anything puts you in a small minority of the people who participate in that activity/hobby/sport/etc.

2) Most people don't care enough to learn.

Moving from the Geocaching Topics forum.

how do you figure? Can you explain further? How is learning withing this online community (affinity space) not relevant to the topic?

I have had logs on my caches from groups of cachers stating they were a part of some sort of school group.

I have found caches that were apparently place by an after-school activity group.

So, yes, geocaching can be incorporated into the 'affinity space' of the traditional education system. I guess.

It would be questionable as to how much a student could learn by participating in these forums. They would likely be directed to a series of links to pages in the guidelines, and previously discussed topics without actually getting answers to their actual questions.

Moreover, unsupervised participation in these forums by persons under a certain age (14?) is inadvisable, and actually prohibited.

Affinity space is not really a buzz word. It is a place, in this case an online forum, where people pariticipate in a community of interest. We share stories and experiences based on geocaching and what we have learned and what we can teach others. I believe students can use such a sport to access many subject areas in school, including literacy, geography, history, mathematics, and science. As for the forum, I am learning quite a few things about caching that I didn't know before, based on my inexperience of the sport. What I am looking for is interactions that back up many of Gee's theories relevant to intergrating various video games, online forum pariticioation, MMOG, Facebook, Twitter, and the list goes on. My research is going to be based on many of my caching adventures, in which I have neglected to log the last 5 oe 6, forum pariticipation, and more consistent logging of my finds.

Affinity space is not really a buzz word. It is a place, in this case an online forum, where people pariticipate in a community of interest. We share stories and experiences based on geocaching and what we have learned and what we can teach others. I believe students can use such a sport to access many subject areas in school, including literacy, geography, history, mathematics, and science. As for the forum, I am learning quite a few things about caching that I didn't know before, based on my inexperience of the sport. What I am looking for is interactions that back up many of Gee's theories relevant to intergrating various video games, online forum pariticioation, MMOG, Facebook, Twitter, and the list goes on. My research is going to be based on many of my caching adventures, in which I have neglected to log the last 5 oe 6, forum pariticipation, and more consistent logging of my finds.

I think you are talking about asking people to join your site. Is it about geocaching? You got me. I think the thread should be locked until you have permission to advertise.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Moving from the Geocaching Topics forum.

how do you figure? Can you explain further? How is learning withing this online community (affinity space) not relevant to the topic?

You already had an open thread in the Geocaching Topics forum, asking people about their forum experience. In searching for a reason not to lock this thread as a duplicate or merge this thread into the older one, I saw the discussion in your post about using geocaching as part of an educational curriculum. Ignoring the potty language violation, I opted instead to move your thread over here since it seemed to relate to Education. If you'd prefer, however, I can merge this back into your first thread.

I think the thing that bothers me most is not your self-absorption but your complete disregard for the people you are asking to participate. Invite me to your next convention.

I think you are talking about asking people to join your site. Is it about geocaching? You got me. I think the thread should be locked until you have permission to advertise.

WOW! How did you get adverstising from my response? I'm just a kindergarten teacher participating in the physical game and the online forum to explore internet uses for creating knowledge for my students. Many children examine sites such as fanfiction or online gaming. I just want to examine how people learn from each other communicating on an online forum. I am a beginner cacher and I'm looking for new methods to create knowledge both in the physical game and online discourse. For example, reading maps, plotting cooridinates on a phone or map. Open to suggestions and expereinces, definately not selling?

Play nice children or you will be not allowed on the playground. LOL.

Seriously, if this continues to become a personal matter, you will receive warning and loose posting opportunities.

Mark Case

Education Forum Moderator

Can learning occur within this game
Yes. I've learned a number of things through geocaching.

and online participation of this forum?
Again, yes. I've learned a number of things through participating in this forum.

Is this forum a community of practice?
I can't say. I even did a bit of research about the "community of practice" concept, and I still can't say. Maybe you could ask about specific things that would affect your decision about whether or not it is a "community of practice", rather than asking us to make the decision for you.

Is participation with geocaching something that could be implemented as part of curriculum in schools?
Yes. And there are teachers who have done so.

This to me is perfect example of why online learning fails. If it is a pre-structured lesson, that's one thing, but the looking for some forum participation is inviting more issues than you want to deal with. Everyone with an opinion is gonna flood the arena. Then you'll get that one guy or god forbid...two people that do nothing but argue endlessly back and forth. In a forum, that is one thing. Trying to apply it in an "educational" outline and venue is disaster.