Garmin Colorado 300 bug

I have a Colorado 300 and keep having an issue with it powering off by itself. It has the latest firmware and I have done a master reset. Has anybody else had this problem, if so did you fix it or just deal with it?

Edited by Bullzeye1

I have not seen this on a Colorado, but on other units, the contacts between the battery board and the main board can be the problem. You need to open it up and clean contact and make sure they are putting good pressure on the board. You can also check the battery contacts themselves.

I've seen the Colorado crash to the white screen (looks like powered off, need to pull/replace battery to recover typically). It happens when the unit doesn't like the map data loaded, or one of the waypoints can do it if there's a corruption. If you have maps on an SD card, try operating without the SD card installed for a while as well. To recover from corrupt waypoint, remove all GPX files from the unit (ie move them to your computer) and reload the waypoints you want to keep after confirming the problem has gone away.

I've seen the Colorado crash to the white screen (looks like powered off, need to pull/replace battery to recover typically). It happens when the unit doesn't like the map data loaded, or one of the waypoints can do it if there's a corruption. If you have maps on an SD card, try operating without the SD card installed for a while as well. To recover from corrupt waypoint, remove all GPX files from the unit (ie move them to your computer) and reload the waypoints you want to keep after confirming the problem has gone away.

Thanks I'll give this a try!

I'm having a problem with my Colorado, when I turn it on it shows the "garmin" Logo and that is as far is it will go. I tried changing the batteries,I hooked it to the computer the same thing. I took out the SD card which does have a map on it and still nothing. I saw somewhere that you could reset it by holding down the two buttons on the front screen area together and then turning it on, but that has not worked either. Any ideas?

Thanks

VonJoeKasey

Remove the SD card and try the reset again. As you say, hold both front button and turn on. Keep holding the button until a reset screen comes up.

Hi thanks for the reply tried doing that too to no avail..I finally broke down and called Garmin. The guy walked me through a few different things to try...and no luck. Then we lost or connection :mad: I had to call back again reexplain what was going on. About 45 mins later and more options to get it up and running it was determined that, for 69.00 I could send in the unit and get a refurbished replacement. I did so on Tuesday. On Friday I received an email saying my new refurbished unit was on its way with a tracking number. As of today it was in Kansas so I am hoping it will be in my hands by Monday afternoon...

I have a few back up units I can use (Garmin & Magellan) but I like having my Colorado..I'm glad that Garmin stands by their products, which makes me more likely to buy another from them...Hmm that Montana 650 is looking good!!!