Anyone cached with an actual compass?

tweetiepy

You know how the GPS stalls when you stop moving? i think this is annoying - has anyone tried to geocache with an actual compass? How is this done? It would help for the actual direction but I'm not sure how to set the compass but at least it would point in the right direction if I had to stop to look at it.

Can it be done? I'll still use the GPS but maybe the compass would help

Am I making this harder?

Keeping in mind that caching itself has been around since humans first began stockpiling goods/weapons/food... yes a compass has been used, probably even before the invention of a compass. Buried or hidden pirate treasure is a cache, but I doubt they would've ever listed in on the web had they been capable of it.

With that being said... there are a few that GEOcache using maps and compass, yes. Using a map and compass has been around a very long time and even lead to the activity of "sport" orienteering. If you can find yourself on the map and/or find your way to a specific point on the map (imagine that -- a "waypoint"), you could (perhaps) find a geocache.

The introduction of GPS and GPSr units only opened the door for the masses to participate. Nothing more.

EDIT to add: Taking along a magnetic compass is certainly worth it's weight in gold. It never stops working because it ran out of batteries. Admittedly, one must learn how to properly use it. Otherwise it is nothing more than added weight, such that it is.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I know a few geocachers who don't use a GPS at all and just go by map, compass. Some have found thousands of caches that way. Web-ling, Ed Scott and Waldenrun are among the more famous examples of that sort of caching. Ed is still very active and he may well chime in here.

Apparently your unit doesn't have a magnetic compass. They don't work well when you are walking slowly because they get direction from the sats. As we approach the cache we tend to slow down which gives fluky readings with those units. When I used one I found that when I got close to the cache and the compass was getting fluky, I'd retreat about 100 feet and walk back toward the cache at a faster pace and the GPS would "straighten out".

but I'm not sure how to set the compass but at least it would point in the right direction if I had to stop to look at it.

Can it be done? I'll still use the GPS but maybe the compass would help

Am I making this harder?

Ummmmm....That's strange, my compass points North. Ever single time :rolleyes: Maybe I should get it looked at :laughing:

Really though it is possible. Here are some links to get you started.

http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/factsheets/fs03501.html

My GPSr only shows latitude and longitude. I bring an orienteering compass with me if I'm in a park or woods. I'll follow a trail close to the cache and stop at either the latitude or longitude of the cache. Then, I'll adjust the compass housing for declination, turn myself to face true north, and then (depending on whether I've stopped on the latitude or longitude) I'll head due east/west or north/south to the cache.

Joe

My GPSr only shows latitude and longitude. I bring an orienteering compass with me if I'm in a park or woods. I'll follow a trail close to the cache and stop at either the latitude or longitude of the cache. Then, I'll adjust the compass housing for declination, turn myself to face true north, and then (depending on whether I've stopped on the latitude or longitude) I'll head due east/west or north/south to the cache.

Joe

You are a hero! I recently navigated to a cache using an altimeter,as the co provided elevation. It was really good! I never thought about your method. In fact, I would like to get a map out and learn some of those methods better.

Joe

You are a hero! I recently navigated to a cache using an altimeter,as the co provided elevation. It was really good! I never thought about your method. In fact, I would like to get a map out and learn some of those methods better.

There you go... simple basics of orienteering. Now, you need to learn triangulation, bisection and distance projection. All pretty easy once you set your mind to it.

Some good topo maps, good ruler and a compass template. You are all set -- but don't forget about the magnetic declination as it is changing all the time. A decent topo map is true N/S, but usually provides the declination in the margin.

I always use a magnetic compass. I've owned 3 different GPSr and all of them could be set up to show magnetic bearing to wpt. I will only look at my GPS while stopped. I used to catch myself walking around just looking at my GPS screen and not seeing everything I go in the woods to see in the first place. Data fields I find important while I'm caching are the "bearing to next" and "distance to next". I will stop, look at these two things then check my compass. Then look up and find something in the right direction to walk towards and put my GPS down and enjoy the scenery while I walk. Then stop and check my GPS again.

My new GPSr does have a built in compass that I do use, but I still carry my magnetic compass as well. My kids now use my older GPSr.

<snip>

I will stop, look at these two things then check my compass. Then look up and find something in the right direction to walk towards and put my GPS down and enjoy the scenery while I walk.

I do pretty much the same thing. In really good locations, I have even been known to overshoot the cache location by several hundred feet because I was enjoying the view, taking pictures, etc. and completely forgot about the cache for a few minutes. Those are the 'best' caches, aren't they? :-)