Nexus 7

I am looking for a device around the 200 dollar range that will do it all. Okay maybe I am dreaming but I thought I would try. I am not a gamer just want to be able to do the following without having to purchase a service. Read and listen to downloaded books. Purchase MLB package to watch this seasons baseball games - so watch live games. Listen to music. Geocache. I have a Garmin Trex and wanted to be able to download caches from the website to the GPS from the device I purchase. I was thinking maybe the Nexus 7 was the answer? Geomom60

I am looking for a device around the 200 dollar range that will do it all. Okay maybe I am dreaming but I thought I would try. I am not a gamer just want to be able to do the following without having to purchase a service. Read and listen to downloaded books. Purchase MLB package to watch this seasons baseball games - so watch live games. Listen to music. Geocache. I have a Garmin Trex and wanted to be able to download caches from the website to the GPS from the device I purchase. I was thinking maybe the Nexus 7 was the answer? Geomom60

we have a Nexus 7 and like it alot but not for caching. It does not have 3G/4G connectivity only wifi = no data in the field, just what you have loaded onto the device. I've only tried it a few times for caching (using a certain app which I will leave unnamed) I found it nearly useless for guiding me to GZ (not to mention the difficulty in trying to hold a delicate 7" tablet while heading off the trail). Seems to do okay for on-road navigation (which needs to be set up while you still have a wifi connection) but offroad it seems to have a hard time just deciding which way is north and south

And I don't think it will connect to the eTrex or to any GPSr for that matter unless it can be done via bluetooth. Finally, i don;t know if it's still true but when we bought it we could not stream some video content since the android 4.1 OS did not come with the flash player (It since been updated to 4.2).

i would go with a magellan gps if your going to get anything like that the tablet and phone i have both the google nexus tablet and its way easier to use the magellan gps

we have a Nexus 7 and like it alot but not for caching. It does not have 3G/4G connectivity only wifi = no data in the field, just what you have loaded onto the device. I've only tried it a few times for caching (using a certain app which I will leave unnamed) I found it nearly useless for guiding me to GZ (not to mention the difficulty in trying to hold a delicate 7" tablet while heading off the trail). Seems to do okay for on-road navigation (which needs to be set up while you still have a wifi connection) but offroad it seems to have a hard time just deciding which way is north and south

And I don't think it will connect to the eTrex or to any GPSr for that matter unless it can be done via bluetooth. Finally, i don;t know if it's still true but when we bought it we could not stream some video content since the android 4.1 OS did not come with the flash player (It since been updated to 4.2).

" It does not have 3G/4G connectivity only wifi " Yes it does! With a stunning 7-inch display and up to 10 hours of battery life, Nexus 7 is the perfect travel companion. Now with 32GB of storage and the option to add mobile data (on T-Mobile or AT&T), you can take even more of your favorite content from Google Play with you anywhere.

A few months ago I was "really really eager" to buy the Nexus 7 because it had pretty awesome features for the price. but... I couldn't get over the disappointment of it not having expandable memory (no micro-SD card), no rear camera, and other things like no HDMI output.

So instead I bought a 7" Samsung Galaxy tab 7.0 Plus, and couldn't be happier with it! It's kinda similar to the currently more popular 7" Galaxy tab 2. Yes it is available with 4G/LTE if you want it, but I chose to simply tether it to my smartphone while away from home and save some money.

The 7" Galaxy Tab 2's are available for waaaay under $200.

Also a KILLER bonus with the Galaxy Tabs is they have built-in infrared, so they can be used as a universal remote at home to control your TV/Stereo/ etc! The Nexus 7 can't do that.

Food for thought! :)

<< but... I couldn't get over the disappointment of it not having expandable memory (no micro-SD card),>>

I bought my two kids Nexus 7's for Christmas. I included OTG cables (about $5) and 16 GB flash drives for expandable memory. Download "Nexus Media Importer" ($3) and you have your expandable memory (read, not write, IIRC).

And yes, the Nexus 7 is available in a version that connects with AT&T or T Mobile.

As far as how it would work for geocaching? Frankly, I don't think it's sturdy enough for use in the gnarley stuff. The screen is durable but not unbreakable and it's not at all waterproof.

Bill